Patriots place WR N’Keal Harry on IR, bring back WR D. Thomas

Soko

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001046068/article/pats-put-nkeal-harry-on-ir-resign-demaryius-thomas

N’Keal Harry has been dealing with hamstring and ankle issues since early August. He can come back this season. 

NE’s WR room: Julian Edelman, Josh Gordon, Demaryius Thomas, Phillip Dorsett, Jakobi Myers, Gunner Olszewski.

Edited by Yin-Yang

1 hour ago, Elky said:

I think our WR corps is going to surprise a lot of people. Very, very deep (especially if Meredith sticks around).

I wouldn't call it deep you have Edel thats dealing with a hand injury, gordon thats a ticking time bomb, Thomas who is past his prime, and Jakobi..... Yes he does have a lot of talent but he is still a rookie you can't expect to ask too much out of him. 

Edited by FilmJunkie

1 hour ago, FilmJunkie said:

I wouldn't call it deep you have Edel thats dealing with a hand injury, gordon thats a ticking time bomb, Thomas who is past his prime, and Jakobi..... Yes he does have a lot of talent but he is still a rookie you can't expect to ask too much out of him. 

Yeah. It is a decent WR group but not top level.

Edelman is also getting older at 33 years old. 

2 hours ago, Nabbs4u said:

Not surprising really. Didnt they save money by not guaranteeing his Veteran Salary? Probably the plan all along since they assumed he'd most likely clear waivers.

He is a veteran, so upon being cut he was immediately a free agent. No need to clear waivers. Which is exactly why you can cut a vet like Thomas, keep the players who would need to go through waivers, and then put someone on the injury reserve today such that they can come back this season. This was all roster work, planned well in advance.  

Edited by nextsuperstar1

1 hour ago, FilmJunkie said:

I think it’s deep strictly in comparison to recent years where the NE receiving corps has been largely underwhelming (sans the one year with Cooks).

We know what we’re getting out of Edelman and Dorsett. Beyond them, you have a returning Demaryius Thomas - he has to prove he’s healthy and backup to some semblance of speed. Josh Gordon - has great chemistry with Brady, you never know when he’s going to relapse. Cameron Meredith - probably the biggest unknown since he hasn’t been healthy and has probably shown the least in his career amongst the veterans. Then you have Jakobi Myers - has stood out throughout camp/preseason but is still an UDFA in this league and hasn’t proven squat. 

So there are lots of unknowns, but that beats out last year’s Chris Hogan for sure.

Edited by Yin-Yang

34 minutes ago, Hunter2_1 said:

I don't share Elky's optimism of our WR unit. We're one Edelman injury away from it being thread-bare. Gordon won't play 16 games, let's face it. 

Well I for one hope he plays 19. 

But yes - we are an injury or off-field incident away from starting multiple unproven players. 

6 hours ago, nextsuperstar1 said:

It certainly is a group that can create matchup problems with size and physicality.  

Thomas and Gordon are both 6’3”.

Myers is 6’2”. 

When Harry is back he is also 6’3”. 

Though of all the wide receivers, only Gordon is the only one who seems like a very speedy deep threat. 

Weird thing about Thomas is that he's never been a guy that uses his size to make plays. He's a finesse receiver that was so quick over 20 yards or so with his long strides. When Peyton came to Denver, he added route precision to his repertoire and that combination of precise route running with downfield big play capability made him so good.

I would go as far as to say Thomas is a below average, if not poor contested catch WR. I wouldn't call him soft like many Denver fans did over the years, but he's definitely not a physical WR.