Ryan Pace optimistic about Bears' salary cap space

soulman

32 minutes ago, abstract_thought said:

They just signed Goff to his extension. They won't have to pay the piper for a few more years.

Nobody is worried about year 1 in a post-extension franchise. The concern is over the years that follow. If Mitch is more Joe Flacco than Russell Wilson, the Bears will end up in a situation where they bleed talent off the roster and have to draft perfectly just to stay competitive. We've seen this happen with even elite QBs like Brees where the Saints only came back into the title picture after several great draft classes. Since giving Wilson his deal, the Seahawks have been a consistent playoff team with little chance at a title. Mitch hasn't even shown he can play at that level yet. The thought of paying him at that level should scare Bears fans if he continues to play like he did last season.

My post wasn’t about whether Mitch has or has not justified getting paid at that level. My post was that if we DO pay him at that level we can compromise future years financially to try to win now to keep pretty much all of our top players if we want. Beyond that it comes to the front office’s and ownership’s willingness to do so. I didn’t say it was necessarily the best long term approach but if it were me I’d do whatever I could to maximize the Super Bowl window. 

Edited by AZBearsFan