Cowboys Extend OT La'el Collins 5 years, $50m - $35m GTD

Matts4313

Just now, Danger said:

I will say this. my estimate was based solely off of the OTC figure, which has it locked in as roughly the same cap this year as next. Assuming linear progression. Cowboys can expect to have somewhere between $14-16M in cap space upon making all those resignings and cutting Crawford. ~$6-7 Million needs to be used for draft pick allocation if I recall though. 

I saw somewhere that they have like 85 million next year. One of the guys that works for the salary cap sites posted it.

Obviously that’s not accounting for the new La’el deal.

1 minute ago, TheRealMcCoy said:

I saw somewhere that they have like 85 million next year. One of the guys that works for the salary cap sites posted it.

I don't think it's accounting for the Jaylen Smith deal either. They have $75 Million roughly assuming the cap stays the same. 

They have only two things that will raise that number for them. Cutting Tyrone Crawford ($8M savings) cap increase (expected anywhere between $8-12M)

1 minute ago, TheRealMcCoy said:

Yeah I do and I also know you don’t know how to do math cause Lane didn’t get 14% more.

See... I can be condescending too.

Meh, I did it in my head by rounding up to $57m. 

5yr $56.26M

5yr $50m

But thats not the point. The point is that contracts go up in value. You can literally look at any position in the NFL and find a WTF comp. Lane, when he signed was about 6% ($11m/$180 cap). Collins is about 5%. So from a time value Collins is really about ~20% cheaper. Collins is 80% the player Johnson is. Works out perfectly. 

1 minute ago, Danger said:

Stephen doesn't have a track record in which he should earn the general public's trust. Howie has in fact shown time and time again he plays with different rules than the rest of the league.

Stephen has been managing our cap for like 5-10 years now and has done a superb job. 

7 minutes ago, TheRealMcCoy said:

4 minutes ago, Danger said:

I don't think it's accounting for the Jaylen Smith deal either. They have $75 Million roughly assuming the cap stays the same. 

They have only two things that will raise that number for them. Cutting Tyrone Crawford ($8M savings) cap increase (expected anywhere between $8-12M)

Spotrac has us at $90m *including* Jaylon. 

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/dallas-cowboys/cap/2020/

Not sure why OTC has us at $75m or what the difference is. 

Just now, Matts4313 said:

Spotrac has us at $90m *including* Jaylon. 

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/dallas-cowboys/cap/2020/

Not sure why OTC has us at $75m or what the difference is. 

Frankly, and this isn't just because of current situations. I've never trusted spotrac for team cap as it is usually pretty out of date/inaccurate in my experience. It's better for details on individual deals. OTC has always been my go to and I've found it's more reliable.

12 minutes ago, Danger said:

Howie has in fact shown time and time again he plays with different rules than the rest of the league.

For the record to anyone that is reading this => Howie is doing the same damn thing that Jerry did when he ran our cap. He keeps restructuring deals to "kick the can". He is creating now money by sacrificing future cap space.

The pro argument is that they are going all in.

The con argument is that 50% of there starters will be 29 or older this season and they need to do at least a mini rebuild. They are handicapping their chances by spending future dollars now. 

1 minute ago, Danger said:

Frankly, and this isn't just because of current situations. I've never trusted spotrac for team cap as it is usually pretty out of date/inaccurate in my experience. It's better for details on individual deals. OTC has always been my go to and I've found it's more reliable.

I think the only difference is that Spotrac is showing our ~$15m in carry over while OTC is not. Both have the Jaylon deal on them.

So once again, we are working with a ton of money. 

1 minute ago, Matts4313 said:

For the record to anyone that is reading this => Howie is doing the same damn thing that Jerry did when he ran our cap. He keeps restructuring deals to "kick the can". He is creating now money by sacrificing future cap space.

The pro argument is that they are going all in.

The con argument is that 50% of there starters will be 29 or older this season and they need to do at least a mini rebuild. They are handicapping their chances by spending future dollars now. 

There are a lot more micro things that Howie does to exploit the rules. One example being Nick Foles and how he did that deal.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Matts4313 said:
23 minutes ago, TheRealMcCoy said:

Yeah I do and I also know you don’t know how to do math cause Lane didn’t get 14% more.

See... I can be condescending too.

Meh, I did it in my head by rounding up to $57m. 

5yr $56.26M

5yr $50m

But thats not the point. The point is that contracts go up in value. You can literally look at any position in the NFL and find a WTF comp. Lane, when he signed was about 6% ($11m/$180 cap). Collins is about 5%. So from a time value Collins is really about ~20% cheaper. Collins is 80% the player Johnson is. Works out perfectly. 

Lol... I just realized that Lane signed his deal in 2016..... 

2016 cap space was $155m. Lane got $11m/yr. Lane was closer to 7.1% of the cap.

2019 cap space is ~$200m. Collins got $10m/yr. Collins is closer to 5% of the cap.

Lane was 40% more expensive when time/cap is taken into effect.

@TheRealMcCoy

1 hour ago, soflbillsfan said:

Someone is the odd man out 

Dak will be odd man out. Jerry will franchise Dak next season and draft his replacement. Zeke is focus with ball control O and a good D. Ravens did it with Jamal Lewis and Trent Dilfer. Though that wasn’t a “good” D that was an all time stellar D lol

i think this is a good signing after we paid Trent Brown serious cash to play RT. Cowboys handling business with those who are willing to be reasonable. Dak at 30 is almost 3 starters and this is a team sport. If I was Dak I wouldn’t expect to be top paid. Just 30 with a lot of guaranteed so actually get that much in case contracts start going the other way. Gurley is a prime example of getting paid but probably not going to make it to the end because of health.

Edited by G

4 minutes ago, G said:

Dak will be odd man out. Jerry will franchise Dak next season and draft his replacement. Zeke is focus with ball control O and a good D. Ravens did it with Jamal Lewis and Trent Dilfer. Though that wasn’t a “good” D that was an all time stellar D lol

I hope to god you are wrong. Id get rid of Zeke 10/10 before Dak. 

7 minutes ago, Matts4313 said:

I hope to god you are wrong. Id get rid of Zeke 10/10 before Dak. 

I think it’s because QB contracts are so high. Not because of what Dak brings to the table. As a person I’d take Dak over Zeke every day but if Dak sets a new average record contract then it wouybe Zeke and Dlaws combined. Wilson is a freak and has a ring and a bad play call from 2. Zeke is the bell cow of Dallas O and deserves top dollar but I’d always worry every offseason and Dak I’d have no worries. Tough choice 

• Like 1

So at what point does the Good Little Soldier who showed up to camp,  said all the right things in the media, played the politically correct approach as a FQB in contract negotiations, get paid?

When or Does Dak if the writing "Is on the Wall" change his tune if the plan all along was to not give him his contract extension, play him at his 700K and go the Kirk Cousins route with Franchise Tags in the future? 

How the Starting FQB of the most lucrative team in Sports History doesn't have a contract is mind boggling to me, especially given these other extensions? Or indicative of exactly what they truly think of Dak Prescott as thier FQBOTF!

With the 1st pick in the 2021 NFL Draft, The Dallas Cowboys Select: QB John Stephen Jones, Arkansas 

Edited by Nabbs4u