Week 1: Buffalo Bills vs NY Jets

Bobby816

16 minutes ago, Rockice_8 said:

I don't think our secondary is a major weakness really it's a our depth that is pathetic.

With the top 3 healthy we should be decent enough, not strong by any means but not a complete joke like we saw in the preseason.  I mean most of those guys aren't even on the team anymore.  If one goes down though that's when we could start to feel the effects.  We just need to hope for an injury free season from Tru.

I think our pass defense is a compete joke, only worsened by a total lack of pass rush. Prepared to get walked all over by any team with a veteran QB.

2 minutes ago, NJerseypaint said:

I think our pass defense is a compete joke, only worsened by a total lack of pass rush. Prepared to get walked all over by any team with a veteran QB.

Oh it's not good by any means lets be clear but not nearly as bad as it looked in the preseason.  We were middle of the pack last year in sacks and much better in the passing game with Maye on the field.  If we can get better slot play from Poole, healthy seasons from Tru/Maye, and better offensive output to keep the D fresher (remember we had a terrible offense last year) then we should see better defensive play that hopefully bumps us from mid 20's to middle of the pack which is good enough to win games if the offense clicks.  

Having a great year from Sam will cover up a ton of weaknesses.  It may be too much to ask for a 2nd year QB but that's the situation we're in.

Our defense is going to be a lot like the old Rex Ryan defenses: primarily 46, excellent defending the run with a lot of blitzing. Primary difference is Adams for Revis (and honestly, I won't be surprised if Adams has 6 plus sacks this year) 

Here's my expectation for snap leaders by position barring injury...

• DL: Jenkins + Leo + Quinnen + Anderson (heavy DL rotation, but this should be the majority of 3rd downs)
  • LB: Mosley + Adams
  • CB: Johnson + Poole + Roberts 
  • S: Maye + Miles 

Our defense is going to be defined by our ability to get to the QB. 

45 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

It’s the same old Jets. No edge rushers. Getting an good interior rush only works if you have threats at edge also. Teams can have RBs and TEs blocking Our edges and handle it with ease.

That seems like a bit of a stretch.  Jenkins is a solid edge and so is Copeland once he gets back.  Neither are 10 sack guys but can get you 6-8 sacks and be competent.

49 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

It’s the same old Jets. No edge rushers. Getting an good interior rush only works if you have threats at edge also. Teams can have RBs and TEs blocking Our edges and handle it with ease.

If we have a actual NFL offense, then no its not. If Sam Darnold  becomes the QB we think he can be, then no its not. I have spent years watching us have solid defenses and bad offenses, I'll take a offense that can score for once.  And this was never gonna be our year, too many holes. I care mainly about Darnold progressing towards a elite, cause if we have solved the QB position everything else is much easier.  

Most defenses get shredded nowadays. QBs hit over 4,800-5,200 yards passing. Its a QBs league. I have faith that Joe Douglas will finally address edge rushers after this season, unfortunately he took over too late to handle anything. I wish we had taken Josh Allen over Q,  since we have DL tlaent and we needed that edge. But we went with Q so  hopefully he becomes a monster, otherwise it will really hurt. We need Q to be a stud interior pass rusher and defender.

Interesting that they have Langi starting at OLB. They seem to love this guy and I have no idea what hes about.   And when we have our starting secondary out there, it isn't terrible Gregg Wiliams usually runs defenses that are bend but don't break and creates turnovers. 

I have faith that we can beat the Bills week 1, they are not as good as their fans think they are. Their weapons on offense are meh. Josh Allen if you can contain him from running can be fooled into turnovers, his biggest asset is his ability to make plays on the ground cause his throwing has been awful so far.  Their defense is solid, but I think our offense can score on them. Gonna be interesting to see how LeVeon Bell plays and Sam Darnold out there. 

9 minutes ago, Rockice_8 said:

That seems like a bit of a stretch.  Jenkins is a solid edge and so is Copeland once he gets back.  Neither are 10 sack guys but can get you 6-8 sacks and be competent.

I think there is a chance Jenkins gets 10 sacks, but he won't get the insane pressures that the elites do. Not athletic enough.  But Jenkins looks ready to have his best season yet. Gregg Williams will find ways to create pressure with blitzes and disguise coverages. Its all about our offense scoring points and Darnold taking that step to becoming a top 15 QB. 

3 minutes ago, NYJets4716 said:

I think there is a chance Jenkins gets 10 sacks, but he won't get the insane pressures that the elites do. Not athletic enough.  But Jenkins looks ready to have his best season yet. Gregg Williams will find ways to create pressure with blitzes and disguise coverages. Its all about our offense scoring points and Darnold taking that step to becoming a top 15 QB. 

Exactly.  Just having a competent offense will be really helpful to our defense to keep them fresh.  That alone should help the pass rush as should a talent like Q.  The D only needs to be average for us to have a chance at the playoffs.  I think we can slide into the 15-18 range in total defense which should be good enough.  Nobody needs or expects them to be great.

Our defense has some star power too. CJ Mosely is a stud and I think his presence will help ,the guy is just a really smart football player who knows the game. Jamal Adams is gonna continue to show everyone that he might be the best safety in football and a generational talent. Marcus Maye staying healthy is key, with him healthy we have a elite safety tandem. But Farley was a real good pickup, he will make plays on this defense perfect fit for Gregg Williams. 

Our DL is full of talent. Quinnen Williams will hopefully be aforce inside. Leonard Williams is gonna be playing for a contract. Henry Anderson is good. Then we have that Katfusi guy who impressed, was a former 3rd round pick. Jenkins Myers will be good depth.  Edge is our biggest concern, but we may get by enough with playing team defense. Not giving up TDs, holding to FGs. Creating turnovers 

I think at some point Cashman is gonna start at LB, he looks like might be a find. Hewitt is more of a backup type player. 

If we can contain Allen from running around, we should win. Our offense should be good. I think LeVeon Bell is gonna remind people how good he is. 

Hard to say we aren't better at FS with a healthy Maye (at least for now), better at LB (with Mosley/Cashman over Williamson/Lee), and finally on the DL with the addition of Q.

No doubt we have question marks at edge and CB long term but for now we are better then last year.

Maye is a huge upgrade to the secondary no question and it was obvious as our throws of 20+ yards exploded once he got hurt.  He is about a big a key to the defense there is after Mosley, Adams, and maybe more then Tru.  Problem is he can't stay on the field so we are almost destined for some in season issues.  Just got to hope it's minor stuff and not long term injuries like last year.

Edited by Rockice_8

6 hours ago, Rockice_8 said:

You honestly think that?  I can't see it even if things break our way.  We're just too evenly matched for a blowout to happen either way.

We’re typically a strong week 1 team, we’re at home, Shady is gone, they don’t have a QB who will pick us apart. 

24-9 us. I do have losing to them week 17 however .

18 minutes ago, KingOfTheDot said:

We’re typically a strong week 1 team, we’re at home, Shady is gone, they don’t have a QB who will pick us apart. 

24-9 us. I do have losing to them week 17 however .

I have deja vu already with them knocking us out of the playoffs again.  I can see it now.

Edited by Rockice_8

16 minutes ago, Rockice_8 said:

Roberts didn't practice today.  I was hoping we lit him up on a punt return for running his mouth.

Hopefully they put another guy back there who drops one for us.

What did Roberts say? I’m trying to hate the Bills and need some ammunition.