Week 1: Buffalo Bills vs NY Jets

Bobby816

Gase was disappointing today. His schemes lacked creativity and guts, and relied to heavily on our playmakers making plays. At some point you've got to do better than shallow crossing/option routes well in front of the sticks. Take a shot down field, play with a faster tempo. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, NJC33 said:

Gase was disappointing today. His schemes lacked creativity and guts, and relied to heavily on our playmakers making plays. At some point you've got to do better than shallow crossing/option routes well in front of the sticks. Take a shot down field, play with a faster tempo. 

Gase needs to be better but one would hope Greg Williams would have been able to adapt a bit better as well to Mosley getting hurt ... 

1 minute ago, KBS756 said:

Gase needs to be better but one would hope Greg Williams would have been able to adapt a bit better as well to Mosley getting hurt ... 

Fair enough.. Had know right away that was going to be a problem especially with Williamson already out. Unfortunately hamstring linger so even if it's not serious he could be out/limited for a couple weeks 

59 minutes ago, NJC33 said:

I was saying this the whole game.  Trust your QB.  This is nothing more than circa Miami Dolphins 2018.  I am done trying this believe in this coach.  

It was the first game. I'll judge Gase when he isn't facing a great Bill defense with Swiss cheese at o-line. Quick and underneath were the only options. We had no time for any developing routes.

And after watching other games, Darnold's play wasn't so terrible. He was innacurate and stared down his first read. But he has zero time compared to everyone else. I don't think the Bills sent less than 5 all game.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, NJerseypaint said:

It was the first game. I'll judge Gase when he isn't facing a great Bill defense with Swiss cheese at o-line. Quick and underneath were the only options. We had no time for any developing routes.

And after watching other games, Darnold's play wasn't so terrible. He was innacurate and stared down his first read. But he has zero time compared to everyone else. I don't think the Bills sent less than 5 all game.

Darnold shouldn't just get a pass just because we played a great defense. There were opportunities, including two potential TDs to Robby on that final drive that he just flat out missed. I've still got all the confidence in the world that he's going to be "the guy", but it wasn't a great showing for Sam today, never seemed to find his rhythm.

Just now, NJC33 said:

Darnold shouldn't just get a pass just because we played a great defense. There were opportunities, including two potential TDs to Robby on that final drive that he just flat out missed. I've still got all the confidence in the world that he's going to be "the guy", but it wasn't a great showing for Sam today, never seemed to find his rhythm.

I agree and I'm not giving him a pass. Just giving perspective.

Well, that was most certainly not worth waiting 8 months for. Incredible effort by the defense, but it was hard to feel like we weren't screwed when you saw: 4 turnovers, 6 points off. 0 by the offense. Sam and Robby have precisely zero chemistry leftover from last year. The two offensive positives are that Bell is as good as advertised (he turned nothing into something at least a half dozen times) and Crowder was fantastic.

Not paying Jason Meyers was one of the dumbest moves this org has made in a while. And that's saying a lot.

And our next five are: Browns, Patriots, Eagles, Cowboys, Patriots. Hello 0-6.

Edited by TheChad
  • Like 1

Well I shouldn’t be surprised although I genuinely thought we’d turned the corner. As usual there’s huge issues I have with this team that are just reoccurring year in year out. 

Why or should I say how we haven’t been able to draft/trade/fa sign anyone worth of note is bizarre and a complete travesty. 

As much as I trusted the analysts and the posters on this board I really struggled to support the pick of Q. Not the player but the position yet again. We just couldn’t sustain any pass rush. Why we have a 300lb DT/DE playing as an edge rusher is just dumb. 

Obviously it’s Gases first game and Douglas and even had an offseason why do the regime clearly is in its infancy. I worry that no matter the coach/gm etc the actual franchise itself needs a big ******* wake up call. 

This year wa s the year we finally got back into the playoffs. I saw zero evidence to support this theory yesterday. 

Ps loved Bell and Mosley. They balled out 

After rewatching the game, here’s my attempt at an 8-point analysis...

1. It’s only one game. It sucks and I’m pissed, but bottom line we need to steal a game elsewhere. That’s the NFL. Finding a way to win on Monday night would be a significant team building moment, but 
  2. The defense has real problems. Despite the turnovers, the defense had serious problems on defense throughout the game. Allen came out firing at will, and we got lucky with a few of the turnovers. We kind of got in a groove with Mosley making all those plays, but completely collapsed upon losing him. Can’t expect that much out of one player... praying he’s OK.
  3. The offensive line was bad, but it will get better. It was the first game with this group together, and it was apparent based on their miscommunication. They’ll improve a lot week by week as they study tape together and play more games together. Let’s just hope they make a big jump week 2. 
  4. We have a problem at receiver. I understand the Jets respecting the Bills #1 rated pass defense, and it was clear we were playing keep away, but the fact there weren’t many plays designed for guys other than Crowder and Bell tell you something. Robby will have his moments, but I think we need a more consistent #3/4 option because I still don’t really see Enunwa as a true receiver. Just looking at our play design, having another shifty YAC guy who can line up in the slot would benefit the offense tremendously. If I were Douglas, I’d consider giving Miami a call regarding Albert Wilson. It would be a little bit of a balancing act trying to get everyone snaps when Herndon gets back, but the idea of him and Crowder sharing the field with Robby playing deep is extremely enticing.
  5. Le’Veon Bell is back. For a guy who hasn’t played in a football game for over 600 days, he looked really good. There were a more negative/no gain plays than you would like, but I also think this becomes less common as the line gels. He’s going to be in the mix as an all-pro if he can stay healthy. 
  6. Sam needs to be better. We can’t expect him to become a sensation overnight, and in the same breadth one game isn’t going to change my opinion of him. He played too safe and took sacks when he didn’t need to; whether that is part of the game plan or not, Sam’s gotta assert himself and let it rip. We know he can do it, so let us see it. 
  7. Our pass rush was better than the stats suggest. We were playing more contain, but a few guys did a good job of pushing the pocket even if the stats didn’t back it up. We went heavy at LB/DB because of the desire to play contain, but I’d expect a more natural DL rotation next week. Hopefully Quinnen will be ready to go. 
  8. Kicker. Might as well as Miami to throw in Jason Sanders in as well. 

Edited by jetskid007
  • Like 1