Jump to content
Bobby816

Week 1: Buffalo Bills vs NY Jets

Recommended Posts

Regardless of yesterday’s monstrosity, I would like to see Douglas not make any trades involving draft picks. We need him to really make his imprint on this roster this offseason and get rid of the dead weight. Mike Macagnan was truly an awful GM. I think he was worse than Idzik honestly. Idzik was a cap guy who honestly gave Mac a relatively clean slate and Mac had 4 years of atrocious drafting and contracts. Let Douglas build his foundation like Mangini did back in the day. Even if Gase isn’t the coach. Douglas has to being full control to build this roster.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The most bothersome thing is we just FIND WAYS TO LOSE. It was a trend throughout the entire Bowles era  and was in full effect yesterday. After 16-3 yesterday I lost all hope. Everyone I was watching with (not Jets fans) thought I was crazy. Everyone apologized after the game.

Its like it doesn’t matter who the coach, QB, GM is, we will find a way to lose. If we don’t beat Cleveland we will be looking at 0-6.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, ekill08x said:

Regardless of yesterday’s monstrosity, I would like to see Douglas not make any trades involving draft picks. We need him to really make his imprint on this roster this offseason and get rid of the dead weight. Mike Macagnan was truly an awful GM. I think he was worse than Idzik honestly. Idzik was a cap guy who honestly gave Mac a relatively clean slate and Mac had 4 years of atrocious drafting and contracts. Let Douglas build his foundation like Mangini did back in the day. Even if Gase isn’t the coach. Douglas has to being full control to build this roster.

Hopefully he can leave better imprints than Vedvik and Kalil because neither of those two had any business being on the field yesterday.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, jetskid007 said:

After rewatching the game, here’s my attempt at an 8-point analysis...

  1. It’s only one game. It sucks and I’m pissed, but bottom line we need to steal a game elsewhere. That’s the NFL. Finding a way to win on Monday night would be a significant team building moment, but 
  2. The defense has real problems. Despite the turnovers, the defense had serious problems on defense throughout the game. Allen came out firing at will, and we got lucky with a few of the turnovers. We kind of got in a groove with Mosley making all those plays, but completely collapsed upon losing him. Can’t expect that much out of one player... praying he’s OK.
  3. The offensive line was bad, but it will get better. It was the first game with this group together, and it was apparent based on their miscommunication. They’ll improve a lot week by week as they study tape together and play more games together. Let’s just hope they make a big jump week 2. 
  4. We have a problem at receiver. I understand the Jets respecting the Bills #1 rated pass defense, and it was clear we were playing keep away, but the fact there weren’t many plays designed for guys other than Crowder and Bell tell you something. Robby will have his moments, but I think we need a more consistent #3/4 option because I still don’t really see Enunwa as a true receiver. Just looking at our play design, having another shifty YAC guy who can line up in the slot would benefit the offense tremendously. If I were Douglas, I’d consider giving Miami a call regarding Albert Wilson. It would be a little bit of a balancing act trying to get everyone snaps when Herndon gets back, but the idea of him and Crowder sharing the field with Robby playing deep is extremely enticing.
  5. Le’Veon Bell is back. For a guy who hasn’t played in a football game for over 600 days, he looked really good. There were a more negative/no gain plays than you would like, but I also think this becomes less common as the line gels. He’s going to be in the mix as an all-pro if he can stay healthy. 
  6. Sam needs to be better. We can’t expect him to become a sensation overnight, and in the same breadth one game isn’t going to change my opinion of him. He played too safe and took sacks when he didn’t need to; whether that is part of the game plan or not, Sam’s gotta assert himself and let it rip. We know he can do it, so let us see it. 
  7. Our pass rush was better than the stats suggest. We were playing more contain, but a few guys did a good job of pushing the pocket even if the stats didn’t back it up. We went heavy at LB/DB because of the desire to play contain, but I’d expect a more natural DL rotation next week. Hopefully Quinnen will be ready to go. 
  8. Kicker. Might as well ask Miami to throw in Jason Sanders in as well. 

 

PFF grades are in... 

OFFENSE

  • QB Sam Darnold: 68.7 (11th of 29 qualifiers)  
  • RB Le'Veon Bell: 78.9 (4th of 50 qualifiers) 
  • WR Jamison Crowder: 72.7 (18th of 91 qualifiers)
  • WR Quincy Enunwa: 55.7 (74th of 91 qualifiers) 
  • WR Robby Anderson: 51.2 (84th of 91 qualifiers) 
  • TE Ryan Griffin: 54.8 (36th of 51 qualifiers)
  • LT Kelvin Beachum: 65.2 (20th of 59 qualifiers) 
  • RT Brandon Shell: 63.0 (26th of 59 qualifiers) 
  • LG Kelechi Osemele: 55.6 (42nd of 59 qualifiers)
  • RG Brian Winters: 44.2 (59th of 59 qualifiers) 
  • C Ryan Kalil: 52.0 (23rd of 28 qualifiers)

A lot of these grades accurately reflect what I saw when I re-watched. The interior of the OL was especially out of sync, and Kalil stated today the communication lapses were on him. Again, I don't think we have a talent issue upfront; these guys need to gel but I expect them to be OK. That said, receiver is an issue outside of Crowder. Gase also suggested that Robby/Quincy played poorly on today's conference call. Sam was not as bad as his stats indicate, which is also something Gase mentioned today. Still, he can be better; when there was a sense of urgency, he produced. 

 

DEFENSE

  • DL Steve McLendon: 70.2 (31st of 99 qualifiers) 
  • DL Quinnen Williams: 64.7 (47th of 99 qualifiers)
  • DL Leonard Williams: 63.2 (56th of 99 qualifiers)
  • EDGE Jordan Jenkins: 82.4 (8th of 82 qualifiers) 
  • EDGE Henry Anderson: 63.8 (46th of 82 qualifiers) 
  • EDGE Bronson Kaufusi: 50.4 (73rd of 82 qualifiers) 
  • ILB Neville Hewitt: 82.4 (5th of 70 qualifiers) 
  • ILB CJ Mosley: 81.0 (9th of 70 qualifiers) 
  • OLB Harvey Langi: 63.4 (29th of 70 qualifiers) 
  • ILB Blake Cashman: 48.6 (55th of 70 qualifiers) 
  • OLB Frankie Luvu: 47.3 (56th of 70 qualifiers) 
  • CB Brian Poole: 62.5 (44th of 87 qualifiers) 
  • CB Trumaine Johnson: 53.0 (60th of 87 qualifiers) 
  • CB Darryl Roberts: 39.9 (81st of 87 qualifiers) 
  • FS Marcus Maye: 92.3 (2nd of 64 qualifiers) 
  • SS Jamal Adams: 62.8 (29th of 64 qualifiers)

It's amazing how good Maye can be if he just stays healthy. Conversely, this was not Adams finest hour. He was solid, but not his usual self and he graded out uncharacteristically poor against the run. The DL played average, which was how it looked. They got pressure and were dominant at times, but downright awful in the 4th... could be a combination of being tired (forced to play full slate of snaps given the gameplan, which is not traditional) and due to not being properly lined up when Mosley exited. Either way, they should be better. Corners were atrocious outside of Poole, and the LBs were much like the DL: dominant with Mosley, lackluster without. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Must say those PFF grades look spot on.  Maye, Mosley, Jenkins all played really solid.  Didn't see Hewitt coming in that high but he did seem solid.

Man I wish we traded Leo straight up for Clowney.  Dude just a day late and a dollar short on every play.  Unless the light bulb clicks (unlikely) I assume we are letting him walk after this year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Rockice_8 said:

Must say those PFF grades look spot on.  Maye, Mosley, Jenkins all played really solid.  Didn't see Hewitt coming in that high but he did seem solid.

Man I wish we traded Leo straight up for Clowney.  Dude just a day late and a dollar short on every play.  Unless the light bulb clicks (unlikely) I assume we are letting him walk after this year.

I wish so as well. We need a Clowney so bad. Our defense would look totally different if we had a player like that on the EDGE. Jordan Jenkins is a very solid LB who is coming along as a quality starter, if we can get a stud EDGE opposite of him we would be good. 

We can't close games because we have no one to get to the QB in those crunch times. Our corners are weak, they are not strong so we need pressure.  Watch Nick Bosa, man I wish we had someone like that harassing the QB all day.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

LOL Brian Winters. The walking holding penalty. My god I cant wait for Douglas to purge this team. We need to be honest with ourselves. We arent that close yet to being a play off team. With a homerun offseason and A+ draft next offseason, MAYBE in 2020, but this is still far from a playoff team. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Loved seeing the good news about Maye & Jj. I didn't want to give up on JJ so I'm glad he's off to a good start. I didn't watch the game, but I'm not worried. My expectations aren't too high for Gase and some of the gaps on this roster left from Macc. I am going to start all the Browns WR's next week on Draftkings though. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’m gonna call it right now, we’re gonna regret passing on Ed Oliver

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I thought going into the game that both Offenses would struggle because we both have good Defenses.  I think we (the Bills) got a huge break with the unfortunate injury to Mosley I have a ton of respect for your D!!  Best of luck in the coming weeks see you in week 17 oh ya beat the Patriots!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Dr.O said:

I’m gonna call it right now, we’re gonna regret passing on Ed Oliver

I kept saying this leading up to the draft. Oliver was a way better fit for GW’s defense and I like Q but EO is a different beast. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think we'd regret a edge more. 

 

Very few people would have taken Oliver over Williams. Q was flat out dominant in college and had the greatest recorded DL rating. Then Q measured out as a great athlete as well. One game where Q gets injured, doesn't mean one is gonna be better than the other. 

I think our defense would have benefited from Josh Allen more, just for the years of neglect.  We have some good big men regardless.


I was watching the highlights of Nick Bosa, man I wish we had someone like that on the edge that can get pressure on the QB consistently. 

 

 

Edited by NYJets4716

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Reading this, you guys seem to be overly hard on your team. Defensively, I thought both Hewitt and Anderson were getting good QB pressure. Maye and Mosley were also studs and losing Mosley obviously affected the play-calling. I'd never claim that Trumaine is a burner, but he did look significantly slower than I expected. In fact, both he and Robby Anderson looked like their legs were sore - limping after plays from time to time. It was obvious to me that we were going after Trumaine, making him react to hard cuts and bursts of speed. I wish we would have tested him more with Go routes, though, as I feel he would have been toast and would have forced your safeties to move greater distances to defend the pass. I think we started the game with very little running (3 rushes in the 1st half) thinking your run D was going to be too stout. Our running game didn't really start to pick up until we finally started running Singletary outside and then Mosley went down, making it even harder for your guys to trap him along the sidelines.

On offense,  I guess your staff felt our D needed a lot of respect, because very little was attempted deep. I'd have to admit that our pass rush kind of justified that decision-making. This passing attack was typical Gase, based on what I recall from watching Miami play - 2-5 yards "deep"...something I'm not fan of, but they must have felt that was needed. The use of Bell was odd in that there were 2 long stretches where he was hardy targeted, if I remember correctly. I would have lined him up all over the place, creating mismatches vs. the LBers and Neal, our back-up nickelback, who missed several tackles after we lost Taron Johnson to injury. Edmunds was the only player who realistically had a chance of hanging with Bell. Milano might have been OK for about 3-5 yards, but that's it. Crowder and Bell were the keys to your offense and they, especially Bell, really needed to be getting the ball in space more. As for the blocking, your OL has obviously not gelled yet. They still deserve the benefit of doubt, I guess, though I am no fan of Kalil. I did see both Bell and Griffin delivering some savage blocks, though! Then there's Darnold. I'm not even sure how I'd rate him. There were some missed deep passes, but I wouldn't claim he is less accurate than Josh Allen. The short passing attack, I believe is all Gase's doing and I would have thought that Sam could comfortably attack the 7-14 yards down the field, with good accuracy, if given the chance. This could have been set up by attempting some screens and/or pitching the ball to Bell, so he could get to the edge. Either would have helped slow down the rush to some degree.

ST play was mixed. Obviously, that kicker let you guys down, but your punter had a very good game and your gunners played well, too. It's easy to speak with hindsight, but it is true that saving money by not re-signing Meyers was a very costly decision.

Eventually a fun game for us and I'm sure tremendously frustrating for you guys. Guess that's just the way the ball bounces sometimes. If that OL gels and Bell stays healthy, I could see you guys giving us some serious trouble in our house come week 17...possibly playing spoiler.

Cheers!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Yibbyl said:

Reading this, you guys seem to be overly hard on your team. Defensively, I thought both Hewitt and Anderson were getting good QB pressure. Maye and Mosley were also studs and losing Mosley obviously affected the play-calling. I'd never claim that Trumaine is a burner, but he did look significantly slower than I expected. In fact, both he and Robby Anderson looked like their legs were sore - limping after plays from time to time. It was obvious to me that we were going after Trumaine, making him react to hard cuts and bursts of speed. I wish we would have tested him more with Go routes, though, as I feel he would have been toast and would have forced your safeties to move greater distances to defend the pass. I think we started the game with very little running (3 rushes in the 1st half) thinking your run D was going to be too stout. Our running game didn't really start to pick up until we finally started running Singletary outside and then Mosley went down, making it even harder for your guys to trap him along the sidelines.

On offense,  I guess your staff felt our D needed a lot of respect, because very little was attempted deep. I'd have to admit that our pass rush kind of justified that decision-making. This passing attack was typical Gase, based on what I recall from watching Miami play - 2-5 yards "deep"...something I'm not fan of, but they must have felt that was needed. The use of Bell was odd in that there were 2 long stretches where he was hardy targeted, if I remember correctly. I would have lined him up all over the place, creating mismatches vs. the LBers and Neal, our back-up nickelback, who missed several tackles after we lost Taron Johnson to injury. Edmunds was the only player who realistically had a chance of hanging with Bell. Milano might have been OK for about 3-5 yards, but that's it. Crowder and Bell were the keys to your offense and they, especially Bell, really needed to be getting the ball in space more. As for the blocking, your OL has obviously not gelled yet. They still deserve the benefit of doubt, I guess, though I am no fan of Kalil. I did see both Bell and Griffin delivering some savage blocks, though! Then there's Darnold. I'm not even sure how I'd rate him. There were some missed deep passes, but I wouldn't claim he is less accurate than Josh Allen. The short passing attack, I believe is all Gase's doing and I would have thought that Sam could comfortably attack the 7-14 yards down the field, with good accuracy, if given the chance. This could have been set up by attempting some screens and/or pitching the ball to Bell, so he could get to the edge. Either would have helped slow down the rush to some degree.

ST play was mixed. Obviously, that kicker let you guys down, but your punter had a very good game and your gunners played well, too. It's easy to speak with hindsight, but it is true that saving money by not re-signing Meyers was a very costly decision.

Eventually a fun game for us and I'm sure tremendously frustrating for you guys. Guess that's just the way the ball bounces sometimes. If that OL gels and Bell stays healthy, I could see you guys giving us some serious trouble in our house come week 17...possibly playing spoiler.

Cheers!

When we spend top picks on DL every single draft it seems to not have the most dominant DL in the history of the NFL its disappointing. Heck for us I'd settle for just a good DL. Its really embarrassing for us to have such a bad DL with all the valuable picks spent on them. We always ignore offense and it shows. We scored 1 offensive TD. That's awful.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×