Will Eli Manning retire with a losing record as the starter?

Elky

Probably. I'm not sure if it will matter much as far as his legacy us concerned though since the "argument" for a quarterback's greatness starts and ends with championships (at least among the casual fan). Eli has two, which most people can't say.

QB record should largely be ignored in any capacity though.

Edited by PapaShogun

47 minutes ago, PapaShogun said:

Probably. I'm not sure if it will matter much as far as his legacy us concerned though since the "argument" for a quarterback's greatness starts and ends with championships (at least among the casual fan). Eli has two, which most people can't say.

QB record should largely be ignored in any capacity though.

While I see your point, I have to disagree. I know championships matter more than anything else, but i would argue that consistency is very important as well. 

Not to say that Eli isn’t (wasn’t) a solid QB. In the case of Eli, he’s a much better version of Foles. I’m not sure if I would take him over Rivers. I think to evaluate a QBs body of work, the record plays some part and i don’t think we can discount that completely 

That’s why QBs make the big bucks so they can overcompensate for their teams weakness and guide them to a winning record consistently to reach the playoffs. 

7 minutes ago, rocky_rams said:

While I see your point, I have to disagree. I know championships matter more than anything else, but i would argue that consistency is very important as well. 

Not to say that Eli isn’t (wasn’t) a solid QB. In the case of Eli, he’s a much better version of Foles. I’m not sure if I would take him over Rivers. I think to evaluate a QBs body of work, the record plays some part and i don’t think we can discount that completely 

That’s why QBs make the big bucks so they can overcompensate for their teams weakness and guide them to a winning record consistently to reach the playoffs. 

Sometimes you have guys like Jay Schroeder and Steve Grogan have winning records though, and they were largely replaceable level quarterbacks. Even when the majority of quarterbacks that are thought of as "good" have winning records, it's not indicative of how they win, or how the quality level of the team they are on leads to them winning more or less. 

Just for clarity on my part with championships, I'm not that invested in it in terms of legacy so much. There are guys who have rings that weren't as good as the ones who don't. A lot of people put stock in "rings = quality arguing point" though. That really isn't me. 

This really highlights how badly Jerry Reese botched this roster. Even in 2011 Eli had to drag his team to the playoffs. Few quarterbacks would’ve done better. Many would’ve died behind the offensive lines the Giants have trotted out there

6 minutes ago, PapaShogun said:

Sometimes you have guys like Jay Schroeder and Steve Grogan have winning records though, and they were largely replaceable level quarterbacks. Even when the majority of quarterbacks that are thought of as "good" have winning records, it's not indicative of how they win, or how the quality level of the team they are on leads to them winning more or less. 

Just for clarity on my part with championships, I'm not that invested in it in terms of legacy so much. There are guys who have rings that weren't as good as the ones who don't. A lot of people put stock in "rings = quality arguing point" though. That really isn't me. 

I agree with you to a certain extent. I don’t think a QBs record is everything but i do think it has to be strongly considered when evaluating a QBs body of work. 

I dont necessarily agree that the record should be “ignored”

I know that if Eli had a great regular season record then he’d be more of a sure fire HOF than he is now with this current record 

1 hour ago, DirtyDez said:

Eli has beaten four different MVP QB’s in the playoffs.  That’s what people will remember.  

I don't think you'll find a QB who has done more when the games truly mattered and less when they didn't than Eli.

Though Joe Flacco comes close.

This is not a debate about Eli's legacy. He'll be inducted in the Hall of Fame in the future because he has the name and the moments. However, it is so bizarre that the guy who beat the greatest power in NFL history twice in the big game could potentially have a losing record as a starter.

2 hours ago, Shanedorf said:

Eli will retire 2 - 0 vs the Pats in the Super Bowl, that's clearly a winning record

That doesn’t excuse his total lack of any other real achievement outside of those 2 Super Bowl runs.  It would be one thing if he was carrying them year in and year out and just couldn’t get over the hump, but he didn’t have a single playoff win outside of 2007 or 2011 and that can’t be ignored here

Edited by footbull3196

29 minutes ago, Elky said:

This is not a debate about Eli's legacy. He'll be inducted in the Hall of Fame in the future because he has the name and the moments. However, it is so bizarre that the guy who beat the greatest power in NFL history twice in the big game could potentially have a losing record as a starter.

Not really. It's a 2 game sample size. And the 2011 Patriots team wasn't as good as the 2007 team.