Will Eli Manning retire with a losing record as the starter?

Elky

4 hours ago, Yin-Yang said:

Eli was definitely in the 5-7 category in 2011, even before the SB. There were the big four in some order: Brady, Rodgers, Brees, Peyton (didn’t play in 2011 and was coming off a serious neck injury), then there was typically a mix of Rivers, Ben, Eli, with the occasional Romo/Ryan throw in. Eli was at worst 6th or 7th that season. 

If you are weighing that one year heavily then Stafford would have been ahead of him by a decent margin. If you just mean overall Eli never played at a high standard consistently so he wouldn't have been ahead of any of the more consistent QBs that you mentioned and would have been in the conversation overall with Flacco, Newton etc.. in the 8-12 range and that just varied year to year. Sometimes he was borderline top 10 and sometimes he was closer to average or even below. Overall in his career he probably averaged out as a top 13 or 14 QB in my estimation and if you rated him significantly higher then maybe you could believe a top 10ish QB but I think that would be generous.

He is well behind Ben, Rivers, Ryan and Romo if you don't weigh in the titles which you will because they are accomplishments and he needs them to even be in the same conversation with those guys (he still isn't in the conversation with Ben because he has also won).

On 9/3/2019 at 1:19 PM, Elky said:

This is not a debate about Eli's legacy. He'll be inducted in the Hall of Fame in the future because he has the name and the moments. However, it is so bizarre that the guy who beat the greatest power in NFL history twice in the big game could potentially have a losing record as a starter.

Eli didn't beat Patriots alone...it's a team sport. It's the entire Giants team that beat Patriots....moreover, it's not like Giants won by 40-35 or  something...their defense did a great job  to hold Pats for <=17 points in both the Superbowls. 

On 9/4/2019 at 11:52 AM, tom cody said:

I think he will. The Giants roster is terrible, I think he retires after this season with a losing record. Yeah he has 2 Super Bowl wins but he's not a Hall of Famer. Not with a losing record. 

I have a feeling those 2 rings will ensure his enshrinement.  I think the hall voters should look at his entire body of work but they won't.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, minutemancl said:

And it should be his last as a starter here. Giants are going nowhere this season- need to see what the rookie has. 

Saddest thing is that I think management and coaching said they're sticking with him until they're out of playoff contention.

11 minutes ago, Elky said:

Saddest thing is that I think management and coaching said they're sticking with him until they're out of playoff contention.

Mara is not his dad- he's a crappy owner. But he succumbs to fan pressure. He okayed starting Geno Smith 2 years ago, saw it blow up in his face, and fired Mcadoo and JR. When the boo birds continue and he starts hearing more Daniel Jones chants in the crowd, and Shurmur and Gettleman want Jones in to hopefully save their jobs, he'll give in.