Week 1 GDT - Tampa Bay Buccaneers vs San Francisco 49ers

J-ALL-DAY

Honestly, his rep was pretty much ruined after his rough start last season. Then every time he allowed any solid gain, fans were calling for his head. In the 2nd half of the season, he was clearly the best corner on the team. Sherm was right to point that a lot of times blown coverages by others made it seen line Ahkello was responsible for the big gain when that wasn't the case. He definitely needs to be more consistent though. His movement skills truly are top level, now his mindset needs to match that. 

11 hours ago, Forge said:

The real stat that won us the game was having essentially 4 takeaways and only 1 turn over. 

I know we had 3 interceptions, but I am counting the blocked punt as one, because that gave us the ball on their 35ish. It's basically like a turnover from that standpoint (also how great is it that they signed pinion, his first non-niner punt gets blocked - get wrecked) 

I know we technically turned it over twice (pick 6 plus deebos fumble) but I am not counting deebos fumble because there was basically no time left in the half and it didn't give Tampa an additional drive, it was the same result as missing a fg or running out of time in the half. It was inconsequential except for the fact we didn't score. 

That is what won us the game. 

turnovers are a weird stat. They are SO important but also kind of random. It seems like certain teams in certain years have a knack for forcing them, like somehow they are contagious. We will see if this was just Winston helping us out or if this team is going to have one of those years where the ball bounces our way. Sometimes a little luck early can make you believe and that can build into something great. (Sometimes, week 1 can be a mirage, but I am not inclined to think that is the case)

Edited by N4L

I'm buying the "we need IOL help over secondary help" at this point in time. I get that it was Vita Vea and Ndamukong Suh, but the not-push was sometimes pretty painful. If the 49ers reminded me of anyone, it's this year's Auburn. Skittish quarterback without a lot of reps who is hard to evaluate given situations/injury to weapons. No interior offensive line push whatsoever. The thing that both teams have to hope is that their defense continues to be good enough to overcome these inadequacies until the offensive cavalry arrives in the form of experience and injured players becoming available (though Trent Taylor better watch himself before he gets the Jimmie Ward award for unavailability).

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, JIllg said:

though Trent Taylor better watch himself before he gets the Jimmie Ward award for unavailability

Well, at least he's got a long way to go for that. He could miss 7x the amount of games as he has thus far in his career, and still have missed two fewer games than Ward.

That said, he's probably on his way. Every time I defend a guy for something not being a problem, that guy goes out of his way to make it one. So let's just agree. 

So back to the Moore play on 4th down that he made and pretty much changed the course of the game as that seemed like a easy TD. His range is really really solid and he has good instincts. Sure he has issues wrapping up, but Moore diagnosed that quickly and attacked right when he saw Winston's eyes key on to that receiver. That was very impressive and encouraging. He's going to have to get better at tackling no other way around it. But he seemed to have played a disciplined game on the back end and made one of the biggest plays of the game. Moore is going to be a ball hawk, something we desperately need. I don't think his INTs in TC were a fluke at all. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, y2lamanaki said:

Well, at least he's got a long way to go for that. He could miss 7x the amount of games as he has thus far in his career, and still have missed two fewer games than Ward.

That said, he's probably on his way. Every time I defend a guy for something not being a problem, that guy goes out of his way to make it one. So let's just agree. 

Oh, I'll agree on both points. It's just annoying when we have such obvious third down issues. When we are subjected to watching dudes running option routes differently than expected and our main weapon in those situations hasn't been available to play with our franchise quarterback in two years of tape. Remembering what tape the pair put up when together at the end of 2017. He's been more frustrating to me than Ward because the fruits he could bring are more tangible. Ward is a viable slot corner and a slightly less viable free safety. A lack of those...generally doesn't make watching the game feel like eating paste. Besides, we have comparable options for Jimmie Ward. No one on the roster has proven to do what Trent Taylor does yet. That's an indictment of guys like Richie James and Kendrick Bourne and speaks to the youth of DEEBO and the annoyance of the injury to the promising Jalen Hurd. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Forge said:

On the bright side, one reception on 2 snaps is an awesome ratio

Embarrassing that Shanahan saw the receivers last year and saw how Pettis finished the season and came to the conclusion that Bourne deserves more time than him and likewise for Goodwin/James. Granted, James seems to have nice chemistry with Jimmy G.

But Shanahan in the 2nd half lost complete faith in the WRs and started running more one WR sets. Stop being stubborn and put Pettis in there. 

Teams are going to force Jimmy to beat them this year, I have no doubt about it. Hopefully what we saw yesterday was just rust and Jimmy can get back to playing like he did two years ago otherwise it’s going to be a long season. I think we will see a different Garoppolo after the bye week and I think we are super fortunate that our bye week is so early this year.

32 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Embarrassing that Shanahan saw the receivers last year and saw how Pettis finished the season and came to the conclusion that Bourne deserves more time than him and likewise for Goodwin/James. Granted, James seems to have nice chemistry with Jimmy G.

But Shanahan in the 2nd half lost complete faith in the WRs and started running more one WR sets. Stop being stubborn and put Pettis in there. 

Pettis wasn't cleared from a groin issue until Monday which was well after the team began working on the gameplan. And it's not like Pettis ever went out and won a starting job for himself this offseason anyway. But Shanahan sounded pleased with his 2 snaps so we will see if it is an issue beyond Week 1.

38 minutes ago, y2lamanaki said:

Pettis wasn't cleared from a groin issue until Monday which was well after the team began working on the gameplan. And it's not like Pettis ever went out and won a starting job for himself this offseason anyway. But Shanahan sounded pleased with his 2 snaps so we will see if it is an issue beyond Week 1.

I mean we saw him being more productive last year than any other WR on the team after he returned from his injury. Did anyone else separate themselves? I do know this man is much more talented than Bourne. 

Goodwin shouldn't be used for 90% of the snaps. 

Either way, if it was because he was recovering from an groin injury, that is fine. Now give him more time this week and let's open this offense up.