Week 1 GDT - Tampa Bay Buccaneers vs San Francisco 49ers

J-ALL-DAY

20 hours ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Since @oldman9er was being lazy, I thought I would get this thread going.

Always exciting for week 1, but I have some bad news. It is extremely difficult to play at Tampa this time of the year and they have won their last three home openers. I think we will end up being a better team than the Buccaneers this season and I think this team will be in the hunt to win 10-11 games, but think we may catch a loss in week 1. A cross country trip to a humid city spells trouble, and even in 2016 when the Falcons were a juggernaut offensively, they lost week 1 to the Bucs.

Then I feel like Jimmy G won't truly start getting in rhythm until week 5 and our OL is going to struggle against Bowles blitzes, it just spells trouble. Not to mention that Ford is coming off that PRP procedure and Bosa missed damn near the entire training camp with a high ankle sprain. 

TB 27 SF 20

Streaks/records are made to be BROKEN. And I believe we have the additions on D to do the breaking... I hold a bit of a grudge vs. the Buccs for what they did years ago in a game there with Steve and Jerry. Steve was concused and Jerry had his first major injury when Sapp (IIRC) grabbed Jerry's facemask and wrangled him to the ground. ACL, out for nearly the whole season. >:(

I want Jimmy, Kyle and Co. to take Tampa by storm! 

Go Niners!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Chrissooner49er said:

Streaks/records are made to be BROKEN. And I believe we have the additions on D to do the breaking... I hold a bit of a grudge vs. the Buccs for what they did years ago in a game there with Steve and Jerry. Steve was concused and Jerry had his first major injury when Sapp (IIRC) grabbed Jerry's facemask and wrangled him to the ground. ACL, out for nearly the whole season. >:(

I want Jimmy, Kyle and Co. to take Tampa by storm! 

Go Niners!

Let's hope so! Though our road record with Shanahan is far from ideal. In fact, our road record since 2014 is absolutely pathetic. 

2 hours ago, Chrissooner49er said:

I hold a bit of a grudge vs. the Buccs for what they did years ago in a game there with Steve and Jerry. Steve was concused and Jerry had his first major injury when Sapp (IIRC) grabbed Jerry's facemask and wrangled him to the ground. ACL, out for nearly the whole season.

uGH. I still remember where I was (which bar) and what I was doing (drinkin) while watching that nightmare.   

giphy.gif

• Like 1

What does one exec think of our team:

San Francisco 49ers

The worry: Health and overall roster stability.

“Kwon Alexander, health issues. Dee Ford, health issues. Jimmy Garoppolo, health issues. Jerick McKinnon, already on IR. They are asking for ACLs and Achilles to be blown with all these players they brought in. Is there enough stability there in the roster to win for the long term? They had draft picks and money 2-3 years ago, but did not take full advantage of that situation. Here they are.”

I mean only player we brought in with an ACL injury was Kwon. But fair point we do have some injury concerns....Like damn near always.

5 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

What does one exec think of our team:

I mean only player we brought in with an ACL injury was Kwon. But fair point we do have some injury concerns....Like damn near always.

To play devils advocate..it's football. Injury concerns literally appear at the snap of a finger (or leg).

ACL's in particular, aren't nearly as detrimental long term as they use to be. My FIL (an extremely accomplished podiatrist) has talked about the 49er injuries at length (Big Steelers and 49er fan),  basically said that unless there is something biomechanically wrong (think Steph Curry ankle years ago), preventing ligament injuries is nearly impossible in a contact sport.  And sure the scar tissue is weaker, but the surgeries are so much better than they use to be and combined with the intense rehab process, people usually come back stronger from it. The Achilles is concerning, but the fact that Sherm played well last year with an additional year away from the injury is something to be less concerned with. 

But yeah, our team definitely has some lengthy injury histories on it..no way around. 

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, John232 said:

To play devils advocate..it's football. Injury concerns literally appear at the snap of a finger (or leg).

ACL's in particular, aren't nearly as detrimental long term as they use to be. My FIL (an extremely accomplished podiatrist) has talked about the 49er injuries at length (Big Steelers and 49er fan),  basically said that unless there is something biomechanically wrong (think Steph Curry ankle years ago), preventing ligament injuries is nearly impossible in a contact sport.  And sure the scar tissue is weaker, but the surgeries are so much better than they use to be and combined with the intense rehab process, people usually come back stronger from it. The Achilles is concerning, but the fact that Sherm played well last year with an additional year away from the injury is something to be less concerned with. 

But yeah, our team definitely has some lengthy injury histories on it..no way around. 

Agreed. Injuries are a part of the sport. That shouldn't be the sole reason you judge the roster negatively. But it is a reality and we do have alot of key players with injury history so I get it. You have to hope the revamped medical and training staff helps but ultimately, its just the luck of the draw to a certain extent.

The roster is definitely deeper and more talented than 2 years ago. But I agree that there are certain instances where I feel Lynch & Co have missed on some opportunities to strengthen and add to our talent base.

7 minutes ago, 757-NINER said:

Agreed. Injuries are a part of the sport. That shouldn't be the sole reason you judge the roster negatively. But it is a reality and we do have alot of key players with injury history so I get it. You have to hope the revamped medical and training staff helps but ultimately, its just the luck of the draw to a certain extent.

The roster is definitely deeper and more talented than 2 years ago. But I agree that there are certain instances where I feel Lynch & Co have missed on some opportunities to strengthen and add to our talent base.

Yeah, pretty much my sentiment. They've definitely whiffed, but the fact that this team is substantially more talented than when they took over (despite that insanely low bar) and I would argue is in hard middle in terms of overall talent in the NFL..I would say that things are looking up.  My only real gripe with them is I have some concerns about their spending..but aside from that, I think their process is sound and has consistently yielded good results.

7 hours ago, 757-NINER said:

If you have a star QB, and he remains healthy, injury issues probably seem less of a season breaker. Just bumps in the road. I remember Packers fans complaining about injuries for a while on another football forum, despite going to the playoffs anyway. 

Edited by PapaShogun

16 hours ago, y2lamanaki said:

It sounds like he has the 2017 Kittle, 2018 Trent Taylor injury. Which basically means he might not show his true self until very late in the campaign or even 2020.

After the (reasonable) Matthews cut and with Taylor and Hurd banged up, I would hope that a certain DEEBO gets plenty of snaps either from the slot or out wide. The communications staff lists him darn near last on the depth chart and he's learning, but he has a lot more to give than Bourne does.

14 minutes ago, JIllg said:

After the (reasonable) Matthews cut and with Taylor and Hurd banged up, I would hope that a certain DEEBO gets plenty of snaps either from the slot or out wide. The communications staff lists him darn near last on the depth chart and he's learning, but he has a lot more to give than Bourne does.

Apparently all of the active receivers are expected to see playing time on offense, so Deebo should get his chances. Our preseason strategy didn't really give us a chance to see how Garoppolo and he will work together, so I am hoping practice time has been enough for the two of them. 

54 minutes ago, JIllg said:

He will get plenty of chances. 

So looking around this board, doesn't seem like many think highly of this team. Complete 180 from last offseason lol.