Week 1 GDT: Giants vs Cowboys @ 4:25pm EST

Giants4eva

23 minutes ago, Giants4eva said:

I gotta admit it was good to see DJ take off for that first down. He fumbled ya, but he still stuck his neck out for that 1st down marker

Def needs to shore up the ball security. Believe he fumbled 2 or 3 times in the preseason as well? Love that he can take off and turn nothing into something but not at the expense of a turnover. Who was the last QB we've had that could actually do something with his legs... Hostetler?

1 hour ago, Shockey1979 said:

Def needs to shore up the ball security. Believe he fumbled 2 or 3 times in the preseason as well? Love that he can take off and turn nothing into something but not at the expense of a turnover. Who was the last QB we've had that could actually do something with his legs... Hostetler?

Ya it was 3 in the preseason. Hostetler was a little bit mobile ya. He'll shore up his mistakes. I liked his command he had for that small series. We'll see him when we are 2-10. We are such a mess on defence its not even funny. What killed me was the big plays we gave up. We were getting gashed for 30/40 yd pickups all friggon day

36 minutes ago, Giants4eva said:

Ya it was 3 in the preseason. Hostetler was a little bit mobile ya. He'll shore up his mistakes. I liked his command he had for that small series. We'll see him when we are 2-10. We are such a mess on defence its not even funny. What killed me was the big plays we gave up. We were getting gashed for 30/40 yd pickups all friggon day

This. Our defense is horrid. But honestly our offensive line wasn’t bad yesterday. And that felt good. 

Edit: Except Remmers or however you spell it. I now understand why no good RT hits the open market. These guys are stupid hard to find. 

Edited by YogiBiz
  • Like 1

40 minutes ago, YogiBiz said:

This. Our defense is horrid. But honestly our offensive line wasn’t bad yesterday. And that felt good. 

Edit: Except Remmers or however you spell it. I now understand why no good RT hits the open market. These guys are stupid hard to find. 

Absolutely. I was on the fence with him after knowing he had back surgery. And almost any and all reports about how his gameplay had regressed made me get nervous. I dunno I thought Remmers did well overall. Considering the RTs weve had in the past... he looked a lot more solid

Edited by Giants4eva

11 hours ago, Kip Smithers said:

At least with our old personnel we could at very least get some stops in red zone. This defense was abused. Up and down Dallas went. 

Did Dallas even have many red zone snaps? Almost every touchdown play was over 20 yards. That's what happens when you have 3/4 members of your secondary as new starters. Also, Antonio Hamilton got abused. I'm not all that worried about Deandre Baker. The touchdown he allowed was a perfect throw and a perfect route. 

If you aren't overreacting after week 1 of the NFL, you aren't reacting, but this was deep down about where I thought we'd be. I thought the defense would be slightly better, but that's it. The good/bad/ugly:

Good-

Saquon is incredible. Evan Engram looks good and looks to be a huge part of our offense. As long as Eli is still starting, we will go as far as those 2 take us.

The line blocked really well.

Lorenzo Carter was the sole bright spot on the defense. Ryan Connelly played well as well.

Bad-

Shurmur's play calling left a lot to be desired. Insanity is doing the same thing and expecting different results, and Shurmur was insane with the bootlegs. 3 times, all 3 times the Cowboys didn't bite in the slightest and Eli had absolutely no one open. Third and short, you hand it off to the FB up the middle? We have the best RB in the world on our team. Speaking of that, how do you give the best RB in the world 15 touches? Inexcusable honestly. I know the defense couldn't stop anyone, but that shouldn't change Saquon's involvement. And one last thing to go along with that- what do we gain by watching Eli throw 1 yard passes down 25 with minutes left in the 4th? Daniel Jones should have gotten put in at least a drive earlier. 

Ugly-

The defense- up and down. Deandre Baker got welcomed to the NFL by getting torched by Amari Cooper. Antonio Hamilton is not a starting corner and showed why he isn't; he couldn't tackle and couldn't cover. Bethea and Peppers had lots of communication issues resulting in some massive coverage lapses and wide open receivers. And everyone was exacerbated by the Cowboys being on point last night. Their OL was stellar as usual and Dak was perfect. They would have scored at least 21 if we even had a good defense to field. Yes, the pass rush was non-existant, but did anyone expect a recently healthy Markus Golden, rookie from Old Dominion, and Lorenzo Carter to consistently get to Prescott against that OL? I certainly didn't. Bettcher made adjustments throughout the game to try to find something that would work, but this is on the players. They need to come together and figure that out.

Next week is a good opportunity for a win. Josh Allen is not Dak Prescott, Zay Jones is not Amari Cooper, Frank Gore is not Zeke (at least not at this point in his career), and that Bills OL is definitely not the Cowboys OL. Not even close.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, project T.O said:

Cowboys fan here. 

Your defense did not look great. Not sure how much of that is cowboys now seemingly having decent OC to go along with talent or just lack of talent on d. 

Offense showed some nice things though. Oline looks good, and with Barkley behind it could be something special. Ingram is also a matchup nightmare. And Latimore is a nice vertical threat. 

Eli didn’t look bad, but with current defense Eli’s style won’t be able to keep them in games enough to fully utilize Barkley. That being said though Saquan is amazing and the line is much improved and should be enough to get them 7-8 wins. Team has made strides since last year, but combo of Eli and subpar defense are gonna hold them back this year. 

Until week 8...

Thanks. This is the first year I've felt that the Cowboys are legitimate contenders. Dak was perfect last night. Zeke meanwhile was lackluster, but I'll chalk that up to him coming back just a few days ago.

I've seen a couple people now comment that our secondary was the worst we've looked in a long time or "the worst I've ever seen". How quickly we forget 2015 against the Saints and 2017 against the Rams. Meanwhile, Spags has Gardner Minshew looking like Tom Brady with KC's defense. I think we need perspective here. If we look bad again next week at home against the Bills, then I'll join in the pessimism. As for now, did anyone actually think we would win that game? Not just keep it close, but win.

3 hours ago, minutemancl said:

I've seen a couple people now comment that our secondary was the worst we've looked in a long time or "the worst I've ever seen". How quickly we forget 2015 against the Saints and 2017 against the Rams. Meanwhile, Spags has Gardner Minshew looking like Tom Brady with KC's defense. I think we need perspective here. If we look bad again next week at home against the Bills, then I'll join in the pessimism. As for now, did anyone actually think we would win that game? Not just keep it close, but win.

No I don't believe any of us did. Realistically Dallas is a far better team right now. But I certainly expected some... resistance...not a complete wet noodle out there on defense. The only times they did get off the field wasn't even of their own making, they lucked out and wideouts dropped 3rd down passes. I can't even think of 1 positive to take away from that game on the defensive side. The offense had me semi excited on that first drive. Then what happened? Fizzled out and went back into the same old same old. Any sort of negative play, penalty, or pressure and they fold and the drive is done. Aside from SB and EE I really wasn't impressed with anything I saw yesterday.

Honestly, there’s a lot for giants fans to be excited about.  Offensively, this is the best Eli has looked in years.  His only turnover was on 4th down which by definition is a turnover regardless if not converted into a first down.  I kept waiting for the “full Eli” moment but it never came.   My biggest takeaway from the giants perspective was the loss of OBJ.  Its looking like that was a horrible trade offensively.

defensively, not going to lie... you guys are starting at ground zero.  You’ll have a lot of room under the cap to do some things in FA, but right now, it’s probably going to get abused.