Week 1 GDT: Giants vs Cowboys @ 4:25pm EST

Giants4eva

Saying "Eli can't carry the team" is ridiculous talk.  We missed that window of giving the team some spark and hope when this GM was hired.  Who trades arguably a top 5 receiver in Odell, costing 16 million in dead money and then turns around and signs Golden Tate, a 31 year old receiver, suspended 4 games for taking fertility drugs to a lucrative 4 year contract?  Did he think he was helping the team by doing this?  

We're one injury away from having a horrible situation with the offensive line and we're extremely thin at receiver but sure let's toss that rookie in there and see if we can't win some games...haha.    

3 hours ago, ny92mike said:

Saying "Eli can't carry the team" is ridiculous talk.  We missed that window of giving the team some spark and hope when this GM was hired.  Who trades arguably a top 5 receiver in Odell, costing 16 million in dead money and then turns around and signs Golden Tate, a 31 year old receiver, suspended 4 games for taking fertility drugs to a lucrative 4 year contract?  Did he think he was helping the team by doing this?  

We're one injury away from having a horrible situation with the offensive line and we're extremely thin at receiver but sure let's toss that rookie in there and see if we can't win some games...haha.    

Exactly... We missed the window. There is no point then in playing Eli, just so a few old people can remember the glory years. I just can’t understand how you want to see a 3-13 season with Eli at the helm. It’s like watching a great man slowly die due to illness and saying I enjoy spending time with him, it’s his final year.

We aren’t winning a lot of games this season no matter what. We know what Eli is. Let’s see what Jones can do.

The OL comment is just ridiculous. You don’t want to play the rookie because another player might get injured and then his backup sucks.

The Giants have the best RB in football and a top TE as well as two solid WRs. Yes, Tate can’t play until October, but there are playmakers. Jones can also be a playmaker with his mobility. We need to try something different 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Acgott said:

Exactly... We missed the window. There is no point then in playing Eli, just so a few old people can remember the glory years. I just can’t understand how you want to see a 3-13 season with Eli at the helm. It’s like watching a great man slowly die due to illness and saying I enjoy spending time with him, it’s his final year.

We aren’t winning a lot of games this season no matter what. We know what Eli is. Let’s see what Jones can do.

The OL comment is just ridiculous. You don’t want to play the rookie because another player might get injured and then his backup sucks.

The Giants have the best RB in football and a top TE as well as two solid WRs. Yes, Tate can’t play until October, but there are playmakers. Jones can also be a playmaker with his mobility. We need to try something different 

I can't understand why you continue to argue with me about this, I don't agree with your logic, as it simply appears to be get rid of Eli and let the rookie quarterback win games with his legs.  This makes sense, he'll fix all the Giants defensive issues oh wait...he fumbled it's Dallas' ball.

I'm excited to see the rookie play but I want to see Eli one last time.  You've been bashing Eli for as long as I can remember as if he was the guilty party to all of the Giant's problems.  I just get so tired of reading this crap.  Just brings the forum down, you're filled with hate man...haha.  

What I'm saying, is that Manning can manage all of these issues that the team has right now better than this rookie could.  You're nuts if you think this rookie, is giving this team a better chance of winning games than Eli Manning.  The problem isn't at quarterback.

Part of why we disagree with all of this is because you was fine with the GM's transactions, as you've attempted to defend many of them.  Where I think this GM is an idiot treating this franchise like a madden sim with a busted controller.  Don't forget before all of this and I'm going back to when McAdon't's first year the team went 11-5.  Been a downhill slide ever since and this new GM has just been the icing on the cake.  His best trait is his ability to draft but that hasn't even been defined yet but for now, I think he does a good job at that.  I'm not a fan at all of how he has conducted business with trades, salary cap and free agency.   

Anyway, I'm done carrying on about this with you.  Completely different sides of the fence.  I'm going to do my best to enjoy watching Eli Manning's last season in Big Blue, regardless how angry it makes you....lol.   

@ny92mike You seem a little confused right now. I’ll help you out though. I was not the one that responded to your post. You responded directly to mine, when you full know where it has and will lead us, I will happily respond to all people that participate in the forum even when I know they strongly disagree with me. That is totally fine. If you didn’t want to enter an argument with me you didn’t need to click the quote button with me. It’s a simple situation.

Now in regards to your points. You keep thinking that I have appointed Jones as our savior. I have not, I just want to try something new and see what can happen. I love Eli, but our future is not with him. Our present is not with him. Let’s start moving towards a new era and see where it goes. Playing Eli now isn’t good for the organization and hasn’t been for a few years. He’s, at best, average. Yes, there have been numerous factors why that is, but we must play with the cards we hold.

Now this is the confusing part for me. I have not been fine with many of Gettleman’s moves. I was against selecting Barkley,  against selecting Jones. Against trading OBJ. For resigning Collins. I created a fire Gettleman forum in March. I have been very much against him.

You are welcome to continue to debate me or not, but please make sure you have the facts right.

3 hours ago, Acgott said:

@ny92mike You seem a little confused right now. I’ll help you out though. I was not the one that responded to your post. You responded directly to mine, when you full know where it has and will lead us, I will happily respond to all people that participate in the forum even when I know they strongly disagree with me. That is totally fine. If you didn’t want to enter an argument with me you didn’t need to click the quote button with me. It’s a simple situation.

Now in regards to your points. You keep thinking that I have appointed Jones as our savior. I have not, I just want to try something new and see what can happen. I love Eli, but our future is not with him. Our present is not with him. Let’s start moving towards a new era and see where it goes. Playing Eli now isn’t good for the organization and hasn’t been for a few years. He’s, at best, average. Yes, there have been numerous factors why that is, but we must play with the cards we hold.

Now this is the confusing part for me. I have not been fine with many of Gettleman’s moves. I was against selecting Barkley,  against selecting Jones. Against trading OBJ. For resigning Collins. I created a fire Gettleman forum in March. I have been very much against him.

You are welcome to continue to debate me or not, but please make sure you have the facts right.

Come on man.  You only created the FIRE GETTLEMAN thread to toss comments about cutting Eli....HATE...haha.

51 minutes ago, ny92mike said:

Come on man.  You only created the FIRE GETTLEMAN thread to toss comments about cutting Eli....HATE...haha.

I think I created that thread in reference to LC.

Please, let’s make this very clear. I do not hate Eli. At all. I just realize his era is done and we need to make the switch for the future.

i would have loved for Eli to be able to finish the season, competing for a playoff spot, and going out competitively. We know that is not going to happen. What is going to happen is the Giants will finish 5-11 and Eli is going to be booed at the end of most games.

He isn’t going to receive a pleasant good will tour sadly, let’s save him from the end of the mockery.

You are going to point to Jones, and saying we shouldn’t throw him to the slaughterhouse. I understand your reasoning for that, but the best way to learn is for him to get the experience on the field. We see all the time when young QBs are put out there all the time and do well. Those teams aren’t in much better position than the Giants are currently in.

On 9/11/2019 at 1:54 PM, Acgott said:

I think I created that thread in reference to LC.

Please, let’s make this very clear. I do not hate Eli. At all. I just realize his era is done and we need to make the switch for the future.

i would have loved for Eli to be able to finish the season, competing for a playoff spot, and going out competitively. We know that is not going to happen. What is going to happen is the Giants will finish 5-11 and Eli is going to be booed at the end of most games.

He isn’t going to receive a pleasant good will tour sadly, let’s save him from the end of the mockery.

You are going to point to Jones, and saying we shouldn’t throw him to the slaughterhouse. I understand your reasoning for that, but the best way to learn is for him to get the experience on the field. We see all the time when young QBs are put out there all the time and do well. Those teams aren’t in much better position than the Giants are currently in.

Eli still gives us the best chance to win this sunday.  And until we're not in contention anymore Eli will and should be the starter.  

As far as your "blowing it up" comments I tend to agree with to for the most part.  The front office thought we could still win with Eli and they we're wrong.  However, next year when we're starting Jones we'll still have a bit of talent around him along with plenty of cap space.  I always believed that Gettleman geared his "rebuild" towards 2020.

13 hours ago, Gmen19851 said:

Eli still gives us the best chance to win this sunday.  And until we're not in contention anymore Eli will and should be the starter.  

Why do you think this? The past few years has shown that Eli’s play has not elevated the team’s. Maybe with the offensive weapons right now, a younger and mobile quarterback is what we need.

Also, the Giants will not have a lot of cap space. They are anticipated to be in the bottom half of the league next year.

10 minutes ago, Acgott said:

Why do you think this? The past few years has shown that Eli’s play has not elevated the team’s. Maybe with the offensive weapons right now, a younger and mobile quarterback is what we need.

Also, the Giants will not have a lot of cap space. They are anticipated to be in the bottom half of the league next year.

Not true at all. Giants are projected to have between 60 and 100 million in cap space.

https://www.nj.com/giants/2019/06/early-look-at-giants-2020-salary-cap-situation-big-bucks-for-dave-gettleman-to-spend-and-more-space-on-the-way.html

The Giants have $60.89 million in space available based on the $200 million projection. That bounty would be the most available since 2016

The only teams with more space available right now are the Texans, Seahawks, Cowboys, Colts, Cardinals, Dolphins and Buccaneers, respectively. So, the Giants are No. 8.

On 9/11/2019 at 1:54 PM, Acgott said:

I've been ready for the Eli era to be over for a couple of years now but... I'd much rather work DJ in a few drives here and there then to just throw him to the wolves. Yes he has to experience some growing pains and make some mistakes and learn. We all know this season is a waste and they have zero chance of doing anything significant but... I'd rather they ease the rookie into his playtime little by little with him eventually starting later on this season hopefully. Then next year he can take over the reigns on a fresh season maybe with some momentum and it'll be DG's 3rd year and he should have all the pieces in place. 

8 hours ago, Acgott said:

I think this because while Eli is well past his prime it's not like we have a huge amount of talent around him.  Jerry Reese wasted the back half of Eli's career and we haven't had a "talented" roster in 6-7 years now.  I mean did you watch the game on Sunday?  Can you honestly say the game was Eli's fault?  The Cowboys scored touchdowns on 5 straight drives and walked down the field at will.  We need to face facts, we're not a good team right now.

I get it, Daniel Jones is the new exciting toy and his time will come.  But starting him right now would be throwing him to the wolves.  Let him watch Eli and I bet you we'll see him in the second half of the year.  The main goal should be to make sure that Daniel Jones is ready to go week 1 of next year.  I know that may sound ridiculous, but we're not winning a Super Bowl this year.  I think playing here and there and starting 6-8 games will accomplish that goal.