WEEK 1 @ OAK TOWN

BullsandBroncos

2 minutes ago, BroncoBruin said:

Meanwhile, Ryan Ramczyk is one of the best tackles in football and he's the same age Bolles was when we drafted him. How badly would they like to do that one over? 

Ramczyk is a STUD but I still wouldn't trust our FO to a do over people forget the Saints "settled" for him they wanted Foster but Niners jumped in front of them lol.

46 minutes ago, BroncoBruin said:

And Foster was the guy most of us wanted. A few of us were also intrigued by OJ Howard.

I remember Big Al being excited when Howard dropped. It was disappointing when the Bucs took him, but Elway should have turned his attention to Evan Engram.

10 hours ago, BroncoBruin said:

And Foster was the guy most of us wanted. A few of us were also intrigued by OJ Howard.

9 hours ago, 7DnBrnc53 said:

I remember Big Al being excited when Howard dropped. It was disappointing when the Bucs took him, but Elway should have turned his attention to Evan Engram.

Re: Howard ppl are using fantasy-related thinking here.   Howard is a victim of Arians system completely disregarding the TE.   He was on the trajectory to be the classic TE breakout catch-yardage wise this year.   The hidden part of Howard’s game is that he’s a complete inline blocking TE already.   

Engram is a pure move TE.  He’s actually a glorified WR playing TE.  With all of the injuries / suspensions to the NYG WR he’s literally their only target (Sterling Shepard out again this week, Golden Tate suspended).   Meanwhile in TAM besides the crazy neglecting of TE with Arians O (he played more snaps at FB than running patterns vs.  CAR), you have Mike Evans & Chris Godwin hogging the targets.  

Howard is a guy who if he stays healthy and under utilized I would absolutely target in FA after his rookie deal is done.   Or trade at a huge discount (assuming he’s healthy of course) in 2020-21 if he is so unhappy the Bucs don’t want to activate his 5th year option for 2022.  But yeah for fantasy he’s taking a huuuuuge tumble.  IRL his talent surpasses Engram by a fair margin.     I say all the above as a guy who put Foster at 1.20 as plan A, and taking the trade back option / Ramczyk as plan B, so it’s not like I’m stuck on defending Howard.  I just see scheme / underutilization / undervaluation of fact he’s a complete inline TE skill wise as affecting his perception from fans. 

The TB game brings up another sore point for 2017 - taking Carlos Henderson Rd3.   Both Godwin and Golladay were on the main board when Elway reached for his Tyreek Hill light skill set.   Ugh 2017 hurts so badly.  

Edited by Broncofan

Like 2014, that draft was loaded at WR and Elway just whiffed. Could have had JuJu in Round 2, Godwin or Golladay in Round 3 as mentioned. Then you have the Ramczyk/Bolles decision, Butt and Kittle (Desmond King was also on the board there) and two Day 2 picks on guys who never seemed like they had a chance in Walker and Langley. How much better is the team today if the team has even average drafts? We probably have 2 or 3 more impact players on this team which would be really nice.

Also has to be said that the Broncos missed plenty of opportunities to get a plug-and-play stud cornerback because they were counting on Roby so much. 

Edited by BroncoBruin
  • Like 2

16 hours ago, BroncoBruin said:

Meanwhile, Ryan Ramczyk is one of the best tackles in football and he's the same age Bolles was when we drafted him. How badly would they like to do that one over? 

I really liked Ramczyk and was pretty surprised when they picked Bolles ahead of him. Ramczyk was plug and play from day 1 while Bolles was a definite project. I didn't really think we had a good situation and environment for him to succeed. 

We drafted measureables over production with no ability to develop him.

Anyway, this should be the last year of the experiment, one way or the other. He's got a solid LG, great coaching and a stable offensive philosophy. If he's not a top 5-10 LT by seasons end it's on him. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, AKRNA said:

I really liked Ramczyk and was pretty surprised when they picked Bolles ahead of him. Ramczyk was plug and play from day 1 while Bolles was a definite project. I didn't really think we had a good situation and environment for him to succeed. 

Anyway, this should be the last year of the experiment, one way or the other. He's got a solid LG, great coaching and a stable offensive philosophy. If he's not a top 5-10 LT by seasons end it's on him. 

@Broncofan said it best that draft the pick wasn't the problem entirely. You could of traded down in the first and if someone picks Bolles oh well you still Have Ramczyk on board, or Foster, or TJ watt with Chubb being a need a year later and BPA. 

21 minutes ago, thebestever6 said:

@Broncofan said it best that draft the pick wasn't the problem entirely. You could of traded down in the first and if someone picks Bolles oh well you still Have Ramczyk on board, or Foster, or TJ watt with Chubb being a need a year later and BPA. 

To be fair I was on record on Draft night then too not 20-20 hindsight lol.   

Let’s just agree that the 2017 draft and coaching hires were horrific on all counts.   The ONLY blessing is that it forced Elway to change his approach completely (although his late Day 3 approach didn’t need to change at all - just Rd 1-4 lol).    But yeah as @BroncoBruin alluded to even an average draft gets us 2-3 impact starters at key spots.  That was such a loaded and deep draft and Elway went off the rails to go pure need Rd1 (when we were never close to 1 player away)  get “his guys” so early on Day 2 way ahead of the Big Board again.    At least he’s stopped going crazy in Day 1-2 lol.  2017’s draft pretty clearly will go down as worst in his tenure. 

Edited by Broncofan
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, AKRNA said:

That year, on the ESPN 2 SB Nation mock draft, Jeff Legwold drafted Ramczyk for Denver (I was surprised. I thought the Broncos would trade down for some reason, and I didn't think they would take an OL in Round 1). Bill Polian gonged him because of injuries, and Legwold said that everything was OK.