WEEK 1 @ OAK TOWN

BullsandBroncos

7 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

Re: Flacco - WTF is Elway doing? We had 0 dead money for 2020-23.  Now we have 13.6M over those years.  If we want to cut him next year we are taking a 13.6M cap hit. 

Now if we don’t use the cap space it just rolls over to 2020.  So then it’s just a paper exercise to give us flexibility.   But if we use it to get stop gap depth for win now guys I’ll be livid.  

The one way to justify this is if an extension for a Shelby Harris is coming and we needed the room now to pay him bonus $ / etc.  That would be ok.    Even then most of the extra $ would roll over to 2020.  

Please let this NOT be a win-now spending spree (like Elway did with Von last year with Clinton McDonald / Tramaine Brock / Veldheer). 

They had no way of getting extensions done until after the season until this move, and Elway's been burned too many times waiting too long. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, BroncoBruin said:

They had no way of getting extensions done until after the season until this move, and Elway's been burned too many times waiting too long. 

As long as that’s what it is, then totally good move.  

FWIW I believe you can do this in season (but only for what’s left obv at that time).   It’s more if this is being used to get another ILB who has no future then meh.  Also - the 2.5M committed to Riddick probably gives enough wiggle room with 3-4M left to get a Harris extension done.  But that’s water under the bridge.  

Biggest point is if it’s all for extending young guys then great.  We’d have had to spend the $ next year in FA so it could actually save $.   But if it’s spent on win now guys then boooooooo. 

Just now, BroncoBruin said:

That's my thoughts as well unless it is for win now moves. Also, we have no clue how the QB situation plays out long term. 

I kinda thought this was a possibility for a couple of months now but figured it was an unpopular possibility. 

1 hour ago, Broncofan said:

Side note - it’s reallllllly a toxic situation of the nth degree when the Bronco fan base mostly just feels bad for the Raiders org.   Win or lose the game no org should have to go through what just happened for any week 1.   

Yeah man.. I'm not even really enjoying this. Like, I'm starting to wonder if something is legit wrong with him mentally. It's more worrisome than funny.

Edited by 1234567

On 9/7/2019 at 6:49 AM, thebestever6 said:

It's entertaining to an extent just like TMZ, or a good soapbox, or a breaking story in the news. 

It has 86 pages on the NFL news forum. If you saw an accident you'd be concerned for the people involved and offer help if you were mentally strong enough, but you'd still most likely look.

I'm concerned for AB but his situation has my attention the same way a crazy circus act would, a breaking story in the news, or trainwreck.

I'm human and I'm not gonna act above that. As for football I really think the Raiders had a great draft for building a team. The challenge for them is building a culture with the good draft with this situation looming. 

Now right on queue hes asked for his release because the raiders voided the remaining guarantees in his contract. 

I always loved Mayock from his network days.  Seemed like Gruden was running the show when he cleared AB to play.  Last night though my son showed me what AB released twitter wise.  We both commented on how that actually showed AB wanted out from under the Raiders because it would force a counter by Oakland.  Today Mayock countered, glad he had the balls to tell AB to F off as well as Gruden.  Mayock's draft was questionable but he stuck to the character of the guys he drafted.  Then Chucky goes out and gets idiots like AB, Burfict and Icognito who only talked about shooting up a funeral home a few months ago.  Yeah Gruden I want to surround my young up and comers with the likes of idiots like these guys and since they are your guys include yourself too as the leader of those idiots!   Glad Mayock showed he was in control and not Chucky. 

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, AKRNA said:

It's a definite commitment to Joe for at least one if not two years. $13.6 mil in "dead money" next year and $10.2 mil in 2021.

Probably Drew Lock stay on IR this season. Not ready to play in 2020. We need to be sure we have Flacco in the bbuilding and take the clipboard in 2021 for Drew

15 hours ago, AKRNA said:

It's a definite commitment to Joe for at least one if not two years. $13.6 mil in "dead money" next year and $10.2 mil in 2021.

The total dead money is 13.6M over 4 years.   If they keep Flacco for 2020 they knock 3.4M off for 2021.   Just to be clear it’s not 13.6 plus 10.2.   

If most of the $ created rolls over to 2020 then functionally it’s no different, it was just a paper exercise to give DEN room to use if they do in-season extensions this year instead of waiting for the offseason FA market.   The DEN 2020 number right now is 66M plus rollover.   So if it all rolls over the number will 79.5M with 13.6M dead cap hit to Flacco.   The net effect is the same - unless a significant chunk gets used for this year.   So how Elway uses it and how much he uses will tell the tale.  

Edited by Broncofan

6 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

The total dead money is 13.6M over 4 years.   If they keep Flacco for 2020 they knock 3.4M off for 2021.   Just to be clear it’s not 13.6 plus 10.2.   

If most of the $ created rolls over to 2020 then functionally it’s no different, it was just a paper exercise to give DEN room to use if they do in-season extensions this year instead of waiting for the offseason FA market.   The DEN 2020 number right now is 66M plus rollover.   So if it all rolls over the number will 79.5M with 13.6M dead cap hit to Flacco.   The net effect is the same - unless a significant chunk gets used for this year.   So how Elway uses it and how much he uses will tell the tale.  

10 million of it rolls over to 2020 which is majority. I don't take much from it other then to rework extensions.

I buy nothing of that means Lock is shut down for the year yet. I don't think Brandon Allen remains primary backup all year. 

I really don't know what to expect tomorrow night in particular but really for the season in general. 

On the one hand, I think our coaching staff is an upgrade over last year's, I don't think we will see the rank incompetence and borderline ineptitude of Vance & Co. But I'm also not nearly as high on Fangio and his staff as a lot of those who follow and report on the team seem to be. I think the offense has a long way to go and while I like Scangarello's pedigree and the coaching tree from which he comes, there seem to have been a lot of growing pains just in camp and the preseason, I'm worried what happens when we play teams with real defensive coordinators who game plan for us. 

Oakland is also hard to figure. I think Gruden was hired because he was a famous name and Mark Davis wants as much buzz as possible as they prepare to move to Vegas. The same reason they signed AB, for that matter. What the latter did, however, during the preseason can do one of two things - It can prove to have been such a distraction that the group will be woefully under-prepared for the opener or it could serve as a unifying factor for the team and they could come out and look like world beaters. Also, playing the last year in Oakland against their biggest rivals on national TV, albeit in the under-card game no one really cares about,  should have the black hole rocking. 

I foresee a pretty ugly, sloppy game by both teams. I think a few plays makes the difference, much like what we saw from Green Bay and Chicago the other night. 

I'll be optimistic today and predict a win, Denver 16, Oakland 13. 

1 hour ago, thebestever6 said:

10 million of it rolls over to 2020 which is majority. I don't take much from it other then to rework extensions.

I buy nothing of that means Lock is shut down for the year yet. I don't think Brandon Allen remains primary backup all year. 

I don't think it means anything for Lock IR either.   The thumb injury is a 6-8 week injury, the IR-return made a ton of sense; 1-2 weeks saved wasn't worth it for the roster flexibility.  If the recovery is uncomplicated, you can book that Lock is one of the 2 guys re-activated.    If for no other reason that he needs the practice reps vs. the 1st team D. 

The reality is if Elway wants to get a Shelby Harris extension done, he had 4M to work with.  Now he gets 17.6 to work with.   I also think he won't necessarily extend him for the sake of extension, but the flexibility is required.

• Like 2