WEEK 1 @ OAK TOWN

BullsandBroncos

7 minutes ago, BullsandBroncos said:

I don't think Lock should come back this year because he's terrible. and needs to sit next year so he's slightly better than terrible yet still well below average. He's going to be Paxton Lynch 2.0

Come on that's just being a hater - there is literally no rational reason why we shouldn't get Lock back on the active roster when he's able.  I have a TON of worries about Lock not working out, given the issues he has.   But if Lock spends the year on IR, it's still a full year of service time, so it's literally a wasted year with no info on how he's developing in practice vs. our 1's and in-game if we get the chance to see.  So we need to see if he can develop.   

And I'd be the first to say that in 1 preseason, Lock has shown more progress than Lynch EVER did for 3+ offseasons.  None of that changes Lock's potential to bust (he could completely bust even with the progress he's shown, his weaknesses are not guaranteed to get fixed), but there's nothing gained by not giving Lock every practice snap a 2nd string QB gets, and then if we are eliminated (very likely), real game snaps late in the season.    Even if he busts, we are far better off giving him the work than Brandon Allen.   That's not even a debate.

Edited by Broncofan
  • Like 4

56 minutes ago, BullsandBroncos said:

I don't think Lock should come back this year because he's terrible. and needs to sit next year so he's slightly better than terrible yet still well below average. He's going to be Paxton Lynch 2.0

What he is or is going to be is irrelevant. You don't trade up in the second round just to pick a player and hide him for two years. He needs reps asap, and needs to be primary backup sooner rather than later.

Hiding him for two years and assuming he's Brock osweiler, Paxton Lynch 2.0 does nothing for this franchise.

@AnAngryAmerican I agree with everything you said in your post. I want to see how Fangio coaches complete NFL games before I get too excited about him. I also like Scangarello's pedigree but I felt the same way about the Special teams assistant we got from KC a couple years back so we'll see.

Lot of variables that we don't know yet.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, thebestever6 said:

What he is or is going to be is irrelevant. You don't trade up in the second round just to pick a player and hide him for two years. He needs reps asap, and needs to be primary backup sooner rather than later.

Hiding him for two years and assuming he's Brock osweiler, Paxton Lynch 2.0 does nothing for this franchise.

You do if he's already way worse than you anticipated.

On 9/7/2019 at 11:40 AM, Broncofan said:

Re: Flacco - WTF is Elway doing? We had 0 dead money for 2020-23.  Now we have 13.6M over those years.  If we want to cut him next year we are taking a 13.6M cap hit. 

Now if we don’t use the cap space it just rolls over to 2020.  So then it’s just a paper exercise to give us flexibility.   But if we use it to get stop gap depth for win now guys I’ll be livid.  

The one way to justify this is if an extension for a Shelby Harris is coming and we needed the room now to pay him bonus $ / etc.  That would be ok.    Even then most of the extra $ would roll over to 2020.  

Please let this NOT be a win-now spending spree (like Elway did with Von last year with Clinton McDonald / Tramaine Brock / Veldheer). 

Nicki noted that it may be to free up room for extensions. Definitely interested to see if those happen - because otherwise this is a head scratching move. I guess they really feel confident in Flacco. 

4 hours ago, champ11 said:

Nicki noted that it may be to free up room for extensions. Definitely interested to see if those happen - because otherwise this is a head scratching move. I guess they really feel confident in Flacco. 

I think it’s more that Ellis probably told the execs at Empower that we’d do whatever is possible to field a competitive team in the near-term, the long-term future be damned.

From the perspective of Ellis and the bigwigs at Empower, three or four years of being a wild card contender is preferable to taking one step back (suck for 1-2 more years) to take two steps forward (become a title contender before Von retires). 

13 minutes ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

I think it’s more that Ellis probably told the execs at Empower that we’d do whatever is possible to field a competitive team in the near-term, the long-term future be damned.

From the perspective of Ellis and the bigwigs at Empower, three or four years of being a wild card contender is preferable to taking one step back (suck for 1-2 more years) to take two steps forward (become a title contender before Von retires). 

Yup, makes sense. Just an incredibly short sighted franchise 

• Like 1

AAA...I think you need to appreciate where we are at my friend. I was on profootballtalk and looked at news about the Broncos and everything that came up was Raiders news associated with playing the Broncos. I like this..entirely different vibe coming out of the Fangio camp that comes across as way more stable and professional. 

Rather than copycat the Patriot way. I hope we go the way of the Broncos way. And usually teams who do that aren't in the headlines.

Let's give Fangio an offseason or two. Then I think we take it to the Pats like we always do.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jsthomp2007 said:

AAA...I think you need to appreciate where we are at my friend. I was on profootballtalk and looked at news about the Broncos and everything that came up was Raiders news associated with playing the Broncos. I like this..entirely different vibe coming out of the Fangio camp that comes across as way more stable and professional. 

Rather than copycat the Patriot way. I hope we go the way of the Broncos way. And usually teams who do that aren't in the headlines.

Let's give Fangio an offseason or two. Then I think we take it to the Pats like we always do.

Couldn't agree more. We're not ready to compete against the best yet so to me our W/L doesn't make much difference. How we play, how the kids develop, how our coaching staff develops, thats whats important. Developing a professional, competitive, hard playing culture is important.

Watching the Broncos when I was a kid, the mantra was always "just wait until next year" but you always knew better. You can say the same about this team but actually kind of believe it. 

If by November we're out of PO contention thats okay. Being a team no one wants to play by then should be the goal.

Anyway, here's to the start of a season I'm really looking forward to.

• Like 1