Week 1 Jacksonville @ Houston GDT

lumberjackchris

I think we will win, but it wont be in blowout fashion like people think. I said this in the Jags board.  The score will be ugly, and not in a good way. I see it being something like 17-13. Jags defense is going to be pretty good I wouldnt be shocked if their pass rush give our OL and Savage fits. I think their secondary will limit our passing so it will come down to whether or not we run the ball effectively which I think we should. Our defense is going to destroy Bortles back there. 

I have no idea what is going to happen in this game. The Jags should be a lot better than the record shows. They have a trio of young legit WRs, now they have two young RBs and should have a solid offensive line. If Bortles can find that spark he played with in his 2nd year, I think they can be a really solid team on offense. 

On defense its a little bit trickier to see how they are going to do. Smith/Posluszny/Jack have the potential to be a really great linebacker group. The secondary has a chance to be really really good as well with Ramsey and Bouye at the corners. Church was a nice pick up back there as well. 

I am not sold on the lines for the Jags. The offensive line is a huge wildcard for me. Cam Robinson was once talked about as a top 5 guy and they have him starting LT as a 2nd round rookie. They gave their center the biggest deal in the league, and while ive never seen him as the top center, Linder is a solid guy. This could be a really great line, but who knows. Same on defense. They have spent a ton of money on Jackson and Campbell. To me the question is whether or not Fowler can finally live up to his high draft status. 

Bottom line in this one is that they have the ability to shut us down. Their DTs should have the advantage over our interior line and so rushing might be an issue. Bouye or Ramsey against Hopkins will be interesting. With the secondary they have, and the injury problems we have at WR, I think we might struggle to find Hopkins who will probably be double covered all day. 

Key Match Up

JJ Watt vs Cam Robinson - Welcome to the NFL young man. Watt has been waiting forever to play meaningful snaps. He gets his chance against a rookie LT. Not only does Robinson have to deal with Watt, but we can put either Clowney or Mercilus right next to Watt. It should be a deadly combo. The question is whether or not our secondary can hold coverage long enough for the pass rush to work.

Should be a good game.

Predictions: Texans 17 Jags 13

I'd be more bullish on this game if our WR situation was more refined. Going into this game with Hopkins, Ellington and Andy Jones/Tyler Ervin is not how you want to go into your opener.

I'm actually thinking our defense is going to look ferocious - Blake Bortles has always had issues with us, and don't see anything changing this at all. 

I am going with a low scoring affair. 13-3 Texans, with Kareem Jackson taking a pick to the house as the only TD of the day. Tom Savage will have a tough go at it, completing less than 60% of his passes, but leading two FG drives in the 2nd half. Lamar Miller, D'Onta Foreman and Alfred Blue will combine for 100 yards, but it won't be pretty. Leonard Fournette will be bottled up by the Texans D, getting about 50 yards in total offense.

@iPwn, what say you?

1 hour ago, EliteTexan80 said:

If we can get miller back that will be huge. my hope is that the semi bye we get after week 2 will give us a chance to go into week 3 at 100% except for Fuller

1 minute ago, Pastor Dillon said:

If we can get miller back that will be huge. my hope is that the semi bye we get after week 2 will give us a chance to go into week 3 at 100% except for Fuller

Part of me is thinking that Fuller is going to be back much sooner than we expected. That would explain why we haven't IRed him yet.  

https://www.google.com/amp/texanswire.usatoday.com/2017/09/07/alfred-blue-and-will-fuller-out-vs-jaguars-all-other-texans-healthy/amp/

Blue, Strong and Fuller officially OUT (Brown out as well).

Blue out is mildly surprising. More touches for Foreman, hopefully. Hopkins gonna draw Ramsey and Miller/Ellington probably going to draw Bouye - Malik Jackson and Calais Campbell up the middle might gunk up the run. 

If we go to the air, I'd think that CJ Fidorowitz would be the target of choice.

22 hours ago, EliteTexan80 said:

https://www.google.com/amp/texanswire.usatoday.com/2017/09/07/alfred-blue-and-will-fuller-out-vs-jaguars-all-other-texans-healthy/amp/

Blue, Strong and Fuller officially OUT (Brown out as well).

Blue out is mildly surprising. More touches for Foreman, hopefully. Hopkins gonna draw Ramsey and Miller/Ellington probably going to draw Bouye - Malik Jackson and Calais Campbell up the middle might gunk up the run. 

If we go to the air, I'd think that CJ Fidorowitz would be the target of choice.

Hopkins is good enough to have a solid day against ramsey if Savage can put the ball in the right spot. 

I have high hopes for foreman. I think he could be our lead back as early as this season. 

Archived