Two Tone Nation podcast

deeluxx3

Gave it a listen, good stuff. My adult life has pretty much been surrounded by sports journalism and people producing web content, so hopefully these will be helpful rather than just coming off as dickish.

Build yourself a thorough outline (I’m sure you already did this)and even try to give yourself a time limit for each individual point/subject. Podcasts killed sports radio and for a lot of hosts, that’s probably a good thing. Not being required to fill time is a blessing.

More of an open suggestion, but maybe reach out to writers for that week’s opponents. Even if they aren’t ESPN or Athletic guys, try to find a blogger or a smaller writer to just talk matchups and how that team has looked heading into Sunday. 

The vast majority of single-speaker podcasts tell a linear story, think history or true crime. It’s just hard for an individual to carry things with sports. Beyond that, there’s also the benefit of getting retweets from guests, which, especially in the early stages, is huge. Obviously that’s not the entire show, but a lot of lower to mid-level guys are usually willing to give you 10 minutes of their time.

There is some of the obvious things that could also help. Reach out to former players if their DMs are open. Probably not stars early on, but anyone with legitimacy goes a long way with your credibility as you try to build. Come up with a release date every week that is pretty reliable. Keep up with everything others are producing (PKs stuff, AtoZ, BWTB), they should give you some easy conversation topics and help things stay current.

Hopefully that wasn’t too much.

2 hours ago, titans0021 said:

Gave it a listen, good stuff. My adult life has pretty much been surrounded by sports journalism and people producing web content, so hopefully these will be helpful rather than just coming off as dickish.

Build yourself a thorough outline (I’m sure you already did this)and even try to give yourself a time limit for each individual point/subject. Podcasts killed sports radio and for a lot of hosts, that’s probably a good thing. Not being required to fill time is a blessing.

More of an open suggestion, but maybe reach out to writers for that week’s opponents. Even if they aren’t ESPN or Athletic guys, try to find a blogger or a smaller writer to just talk matchups and how that team has looked heading into Sunday. 

The vast majority of single-speaker podcasts tell a linear story, think history or true crime. It’s just hard for an individual to carry things with sports. Beyond that, there’s also the benefit of getting retweets from guests, which, especially in the early stages, is huge. Obviously that’s not the entire show, but a lot of lower to mid-level guys are usually willing to give you 10 minutes of their time.

There is some of the obvious things that could also help. Reach out to former players if their DMs are open. Probably not stars early on, but anyone with legitimacy goes a long way with your credibility as you try to build. Come up with a release date every week that is pretty reliable. Keep up with everything others are producing (PKs stuff, AtoZ, BWTB), they should give you some easy conversation topics and help things stay current.

Hopefully that wasn’t too much.

hey this is awesome stuff!! thanks for the notes, much appreciated.

Right now I'm just trying to build content and try to make connections in the biz. these are all things I can look to start doing as the season progresses

10 minutes ago, deeluxx3 said:

hey this is awesome stuff!! thanks for the notes, much appreciated.

Right now I'm just trying to build content and try to make connections in the biz. these are all things I can look to start doing as the season progresses

That’s basically all you can do. Just have to be friendly and reach out to people, from my experiences, those that cover a team are usually pretty willing to talk and share tips if you’re cool and respectful about it. Good luck!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...