Week 1 - Rams @ Panthers

RamRod

46 minutes ago, NVRamsFan said:

Curious how wet it's going to be. Two big battles IMO. How Littleton handles CMac outta the backfield and they have a stout DLine vs our young interior OLine. Love our guys but they're in for a test right away in week 1.

I think we easily win 33-13.. 

I agree with BStan...this is a tune up game and I expect to see some rust. With Cam being dinged up it could help us to keep him under foot. I see Donald having himself a game. Inside pressure really bothers these dual threat QBs (see: Wilson, Russell). CMC could prove problematic for our defense but I think our offense should have plenty of firepower against their defense. Will be interesting to see if the hurricane impacts this game at all. Could make it a ground and pound.

I'm a little worried about this one. It might take half the game to shake off the rust like it did last year. Except this isn't the raiders. I think Cam will be a little less moble with the foot issue though. Which helps.

I'm excited to see what our defense does. I honestly think it's going to be much better than last year.

I agree that our defense is going to look pretty good. I think with Talib in last year the defense was still pretty good (except in the run game) but we got rid of Suh so I think that will help. He was a little undisciplined in his gaps. As long as SJD maintains his gaps and takes on blockers it'll be a day to feast for pass rushers.

I feel really good about this game. At first I didnt but the more I watch the more I hear people doubting the Rams not just for the season but especially this game. I agree that the Rams should be a 3pt favorite but even that line has moved down to 2pt. I respect the Panthers but people are disrespecting the NFC champions and I think the Rams are going to make sure to let everyone who is know that they better respect them. I do expect the Rams to start off fast. The reason why is because the Rams are certainly going to want to wipe out this notion that they have been figured out by the league based on only scoring 3pts in the Superbowl. The Rams are going to want to wipe out this notion about Gurley being damaged goods and he is just going to fade away. The Rams are going to want to wipe out this notion of the uncertainty of Kupp coming back from his acl injury right away. So I can see the Rams clicking in the first quarter. Maybe not the first drive of the game but their second drive on offense I can see them scoring points. Cant tell you if it will be a td or a fg but they will score points and from that point on the Rams will get rolling on offense. 

I do expect the game to be close though because the Panthers are a very good team at home. As long as Cam is out there he is a threat and I love CMC. I think the Rams when by 7pts something like 31-24. Goff will throw for 300yds and 3tds. Gurley will rush for 2tds. He wont have 100yds rushing though. I have him at like 80 tough yards because that Panthers defense with Keuchly and now adding McCoy up the middle is going to be tough. I do think Kupp, Everett, and Henderson gets receiving tds. McVay is going to use Henderson in ways that is going to cause fits for the Panthers defense because they are going to be geared up to stop Cooks, Woods, and Kupp and instead are going to get sliced up by Henderson out of the backfield on passing plays. They cant take away everything and McVay knows it and thats why Everett is going to be more involved and thats why the Rams traded up to get what most think was the 2nd best back in the draft and certainly explosive one in Henderson. I think he has that Kamara type feel which is you put the ball in his hands and he has big play waiting to happen. 

I cant forget about the defense. AD will get off to a fast start himself. I can see him getting 2 sacks. I think Cam will throw 2 picks. One will be to Peters. I want to say he will get a pick 6 like he did last season in Oakland but Im not going to do it. I think the other rookie Rapp will get the other pick. If I didnt respect Cam and the offense as I do I would think the Rams defense will dominate even more but I can see it dominating first half that gets the team up by double digit points then Cam does what he do and put the Panthers in position to have a shot in the 4th quarter only to come up short. 

Edited by stl4life07

On 9/4/2019 at 8:15 AM, BStanRamFan said:

Based on how we started last year vs the Raiders I can see this one being close. It's essentially our preseason game, but it counts. 24-17 Rams. Need to stop CMC and contain Cam. 

Agreed. There will be rust. I don't see us blowing Carolina out unless Newton is seriously hobbled.

On 9/4/2019 at 5:15 AM, BStanRamFan said:

Based on how we started last year vs the Raiders I can see this one being close. It's essentially our preseason game, but it counts. 24-17 Rams. Need to stop CMC and contain Cam. 

Cam in short-yardage and on the ground is my biggest concern.  I have us winning, but I have it close... as in 24.21.  A lot is going to come down to how willing we are to deploy non-traditional look on defense.  I trust Weddle to put the pieces in place.  And I actually think our DB's can successfully bait Cam into making some ill-advised throws resulting in TO's.  But when Norv goes to putting in both the blocking TE and the FB (both of which are extremely talented for Carolina), I do have my concerns about our ability to get off the field (I can see a number of instances where we gang-tackle well, but it's 3-5 yards upfield from the LOS).