Rams Sign Goff to Four Year Extension

HTTRDynasty

3 minutes ago, Matts4313 said:

Tyron didnt recover. He was physically done that year after aggravating his back.

I dont know what to tell you about Dez besides to ask literally anyone that watched him. He was dropping balls left and right. Getting out physical'd on slants and jump balls. He played horrific no matter what the stats say. 

I mean, he was cut. And he didnt resign until mid the next year. 

Well, you dismissed the eye test earlier. I'm just making the point that if we go solely by the numbers . . .

1 minute ago, FourThreeMafia said:

Maybe if you just blindly look at stats and dont factor in their circumstances at all.  I'm not even saying Goff isnt better at all, just not notably better...at this point.  Time will tell.

That's fine. But I don't blindly look at stats. However, if I go to the eye test, people will call me biased. With Dak, I see a conservative game manager. He's a good runner. Outside of 2017, he has made good decisions generally. He's a good leader and is "clutch." But his accuracy is underwhelming. His arm strength is nothing special. He doesn't have great instincts in the pocket. And he's nothing special in terms of mental acuity. With Goff, he's still developing. If you pressure him a lot, you can throw him off his game. But he has great arm talent, outstanding mental acuity, and generally good instincts in the pocket. With Dak, I just don't see him progressing much from here. I could be wrong, but that's what I see. With Goff, I think he's currently better and not yet approaching his ceiling as a QB.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Matts4313 said:

Almost a full season tho.

I will almost think it's relevant. It's another example of cherry picking to try and make paying Dak seem palatable. Have you noticed that Goff and Wentz fans aren't having to cut out parts of our QB's seasons? Hell, feel free to talk crap about Goff's Super Bowl performance. I don't care. We still were there.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, jrry32 said:

I will almost think it's relevant. It's another example of cherry picking to try and make paying Dak seem palatable. Have you noticed that Goff and Wentz fans aren't having to cut out parts of our QB's seasons? Hell, feel free to talk crap about Goff's Super Bowl performance. I don't care. We still were there.

Wentz fans: "Ignore the fact that our QB cant finish a season and has never played in any deciding game"

Goff fans: "Ignore the fact that our QB only played well once our coach started reading the defense for him"

Me: "Ignore the fact that Dak was terrible when the entire team fell apart"

I mean, all our QBs have something to prove. None of them have pulled away as the clear cut best. 

Just now, Matts4313 said:

Wentz fans: "Ignore the fact that our QB cant finish a season and has never played in any deciding game"

Goff fans: "Ignore the fact that our QB only played well once our coach started reading the defense for him"

Me: "Ignore the fact that Dak was terrible when the entire team fell apart"

I mean, all our QBs have something to prove. None of them have pulled away as the clear cut best. 

Well, luckily, our coach is going to be around to keep reading defenses for him. ;)

• Like 1

Even if you compare the two which by all means you can as that’s what football forums are for circumstances between both are different. I however will say the surrounding cast up until last year was head and shoulders better for the rams than Dallas and the offense has way more creativity than Dallas. Dak’s best receiver was Cole Beasley next to Witten. That says something. Dak will also never survive without a decent to good run game to complement him. I think people can make an argument for both sides with Dak but do I think Dak will develop into a top 5 QB? Nope. Not at all. I’m in the camp of not signing Dak but I will give him credit where it’s due. He is a leader. Very clutch in the right moment. Why exactly we don’t let him run the ball more I’m not sure. Then there’s the doesn’t trust his eyes. Can’t read a defense. Can’t hit a wide open WR or just cannot let the ball go and trust his WR to make the play. I say Goff is the better QB no matter what Twitter stats say but I want to see Dak with the offensive talent we have around him this year he has no excuse this year. And if he’s pedestrian this year that’s a failure in my book and we should move on.

11 minutes ago, Oregon Ducks said:

Right back at you?

If I leave this place, it'll fall apart... again. 

But given the bet, this is as sure a thing as I'll ever find. Term of the bet - Mariota will not get as much guaranteed money as Goff. 

Deal?

21 hours ago, Matts4313 said:

That Gurley contract is an albatross. Such a terrible contract.

The Goff one isnt so bad. Wentz got $32m that maxes at $35m w/incentives (iirc). Goff got $33.5m. That slots Dak right there with them in the $32-35m/yr range. 

Because no matter how much people will use the "Eye Test" => Dak's regular season resume is the best/most accomplished. 

I dont get why people are saying Gurley contract is terrible? Did I miss something in terms of Gurley had a terrible season? Last season he was literally in the MVP race for most of the season and has dominated statistically across the board. He had a great season. The only season he wasnt great was his 2nd season. Now if people are projecting what they think he WILL do moving forward and they assume he wont do much then ok I get it. We just dont know. At least wait to see how this season plays out. You know what the saying goes when you ASSUME. It makes an *** out of u and me. Well Im not going to be that *** because Im going to wait till I see how Gurley does moving forward because ASSUMING he is just going to not do much and the contract is going to look bad. 

Perfect example would be Dree Brees. He would probably be a Miami Dolphin if their medical staff didnt ASSUME his shoulder was so bad that Brees would never be the same and it would be too risky to sign him. We know how that story went. Instead the Dolphins signed Culpepper, it didnt work out which meant Nick Saban went to Alabama and has made them a powerhouse and has been a thorn in my LSU Tigers side. Meanwhile, the Saints did take a chance on Brees and his "terrible should that would never be the same and he would be too risky" and Brees has worked out pretty well if you asked me. Im just saying, like at least see how the Gurley does moving forward before jumping to say the contract was terrible. We just dont know what will happen.