Rams Sign Goff to Four Year Extension

HTTRDynasty

9 hours ago, DigInBoys said:

Why always the qualifiers for Goff?

"If he didn't have a good coach"

"If he didn't have a good O Line"

Don't those things apply to ANY QB?

His accuracy and arm strength are clearly elite.

Think a lot of the questions have to do with the fact that Mcvay is his coach.

Pretty much the highest rated young coach in the league, and has set off a trend of teams looking at young offensive coaches (LaFleur, Zac Taylor - who was on Mcvay's staff). 

Plus they look at the transformation that Goff made when Mcvay took over from Fisher and credit it to him. Goff deserves credit too for being able to play like that out on the field. 

Just a case of Mcvay's work getting most of the credit over Goff's.

• Like 1

If you only look at Dak's home games, during the day, on even days, when the moon is at its peak, during high tide you'd see Dak is able to put up good stats too......(The only person in the world who likes Dak Prescott is Chris "Daddy Gruden Was Mean to Me Because I Wasn't Good" Simms).

On a real note of cherry picking, if Goff had never played his rookie year he'd be seen in a totally different light. He'd be the second most productive QB in first two years starter (after Mahomes I'm assuming). I'm already waiting for people's excuses for why  Daniel Jones will play well when he does because everyone already says he sucks and they will never change their mind.

• Like 2

Honestly, Goff's career trajectory is similar to that of Peyton, albeit Goff's is a bit accelerated. Not necessarily dominant in the playoffs like he is during the regular season, but comes up in some clutch situations (Saints game) to help the team get over the top.

Dak is fine. I don't think we need to bicker and compare the two. Frankly, who cares. Dak seems able to win you guys games. Awesome, Goff is winning us playoff games. Until Dak can do that, then this argument is moot.

10 hours ago, Kiltman said:

They do, it’s just the cloud he’ll likely have because how McVay coaches him.

I think had you seen Goff stand up and take over  the game in the Super Bowl when the pats severed that link, people would shut the hell up about it. And you have to hope as a Rams fan that they worked on that this offseason.

He’ll be fine

I wouldn't even say the Pats severed the link. If it was that simple, we would have simply picked up the pace. The Pats simply outsmarted us. They went against their tendencies, used versatile personnel groups to make it hard to determine who would be in coverage, and had their DLs get upfield quickly to disrupt our zone blocking. McVay simply got outmaneuvered. 

• Like 1

Goff’s playoff numbers are terrible. Completion percentage in the mid 50’s. QBR in the low 70’s. He’s come up short when it matters most. He looked like a deer in headlights in the Super Bowl.

Yes he has pretty numbers in the regular season, but he’s surrounding by great talent and coaching. I think he’s a product of his environment, and while they keep him in that comfort zone, he’ll be fine. But there are well over a dozen quarterbacks that would do better surrounded by that talent. There was a thread recently asking ‘Which quarterbacks elevate the players around them’. I think the opposite is true with Goff. He looks better thanks to a great supporting cast. In that sense, he’s like Dak, who has the luxury of a great offensive line and running game as well.

The fact that Goff just broke the bank, and Dak is going to break the bank, is funny to me. But hey, that’s where salaries are headed. If young, but average, quarterbacks are getting this much, Kansas City is going to have to give part ownership of the team to Mahomes. 

14 minutes ago, Gmen said:

If young, but average, quarterbacks are getting this much, Kansas City is going to have to give part ownership of the team to Mahomes. 

I was thinking about this yesterday, if Mahomes told the Chiefs; I'll take a $28-30 million AAV deal for 2-4% ownership

7 minutes ago, Gmen said:

Goff’s playoff numbers are terrible. Completion percentage in the mid 50’s. QBR in the low 70’s. He’s come up short when it matters most. He looked like a deer in headlights in the Super Bowl.

Goff is also a very young QB. It's not rare for young QBs to struggle in the playoffs early in their careers. Fact is that Goff stepped up and made a number key plays against NO to help the Rams reach the Super Bowl. Fact is that both Manning brothers played poorly the first two times they made the playoffs. Brady's numbers over his first four playoff starts weren't much better than Goff's either. Ben's Super Bowl performance against Seattle was arguably worse than Goff's against NE, but Pittsburgh still won. Fact of the matter is that Goff started at QB in a Super Bowl at 24 years old. How many QBs have pulled that off? Outside of Ben and Marino, I don't know if there's another.

Yes he has pretty numbers in the regular season, but he’s surrounding by great talent and coaching. I think he’s a product of his environment, and while they keep him in that comfort zone, he’ll be fine. But there are well over a dozen quarterbacks that would do better surrounded by that talent.

Why don't they? You say that Goff's supporting cast elevates him. Why wasn't Robert Woods more productive in Buffalo? Why was Cooks slightly more productive with Goff in LA than Brady in NE and Payton in NO? Why didn't Gurley elevate Goff when he was a rookie? Are you saying that every guy on that offense is performing 100% because of Sean McVay?

• Like 4

I think people forget how long it takes players (especially QBs) before they hit their prime.  I'm guilty of it too.  

Goff's been underwhelming in the playoffs, but he's only 24.  Manning didn't have his first decent playoff game until he was 27.  Brees had 1 playoff game before he was 27, when he was sent to the Saints.  Ben was far from consistent in the playoffs too.

Plus, the playoffs are just harder.  I get why we expect our QBs to keep playing at a high level in the postseason, but it isn't easy.  You are literally playing other playoff teams, who at the very least likely field a respectable defense.  Goff's playoff run consisted of playing a top three defense in Dallas, a solid defense in the Saints, and another great defense (top 10 pass defense) in the Patriots.  He deserves criticism for how he performed for sure, but again he's 24 years old.  

You give contracts to players who you think will continue to be worth that contract 3-4 years down the road and I don't see any reason why Goff wouldn't keep improving.  I guess it's possible, but he's accurate as hell, has a phenomenal coach, and a ton of talent around him.  He's gonna keep getting better and better and eventually, the great postseason performances will come just like they do most great QBs.

Edited by iknowcool
  • Like 5

37 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

I wouldn't even say the Pats severed the link. If it was that simple, we would have simply picked up the pace. The Pats simply outsmarted us. They went against their tendencies, used versatile personnel groups to make it hard to determine who would be in coverage, and had their DLs get upfield quickly to disrupt our zone blocking. McVay simply got outmaneuvered. 

That’s what I mean, they took away the prep work McVay does pre game and pre snap, the stuff he uses to direct Goff like he does.

The DL part wasn’t anything new or exotic, but yeah that helped a lot too. It’s not even unique to the Rams. Most QBs and Schemes that operate from the pocket are susceptible to interior rush.

It’s why I think Fletcher Cox and some of the other guys we have rushing the middle is the #1 reason we’ve beat you the last two years. The rest of the games have been fairly even besides maybe Doug’s aggressiveness.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kiltman said:

That’s what I mean, they took away the prep work McVay does pre game and pre snap, the stuff he uses to direct Goff like he does.

The DL part wasn’t anything new or exotic, but yeah that helped a lot too. It’s not even unique to the Rams. Most QBs and Schemes that operate from the pocket are susceptible to interior rush.

It’s why I think Fletcher Cox and some of the other guys we have rushing the middle is the #1 reason we’ve beat you the last two years. The rest of the games have been fairly even besides maybe Doug’s aggressiveness.

I'm talking about run defense, though. With the ZBS, especially the outside zone, you can disrupt by having your DLs penetrate upfield. The key is to not have them move horizontally. The reason you don't see teams consistently doing it when defending the ZBS is because offenses can adapt and use that upfield penetration against you. The Patriots were able to use it to great effect because we were struggling so much anticipating what they would do. It also didn't help that we were missing Gurley's speed at HB.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Kiltman said:

I think the number 1 reason has been Pederson has had his way with Wade. Especially in 2017. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NVRamsFan said:

So if I’m figuring this out right his last two years are $50 million base pay plus whatever of the signing bonus prorated out to.

This is why I love Snead he front loads a ton of stuff when we have cap space. Leaving to more room later on. This contract is basically making space for Kupp, Donald’s second contract and possibly woods.. He’s always looking to clear up space for other players or FAs. Not to mention the way John Johnson has been playing! He’s going to get paid as well..