Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
TheVillain112

GDT Week One: Bengals @ Seahawks

Who wins?  

7 members have voted

  1. 1. Who wins?

    • Seattle Seahawks
      4
    • Cincinnati Bengals
      1
    • Tie...
      2


Recommended Posts

2 minutes ago, INbengalfan said:

If Dolegada had been active, that one pass might have sparked a raging fire with fans if he heaved it to the end zone to win the game

AJ McCarron guy would have been difficult to silence, for sure.  Haha.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, INbengalfan said:

That's what left a bad taste in my mouth.  Jefferson never even touched the ball, and Andy's arm was moving forward.  We have like a .005% percent chance of scoring, but hey, make it exciting.  That call should provoke public apologies.

No way.  They'll say that it was called correctly, then in the offseason they'll update the wording so it obviously would be an incomplete pass.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Best part about yesterday was the relief of knowing that i didn't have to listen to the Browns fans today in the office.  A one week reprieve until they beat the Jets and are the best team in the NFL again.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, theJ said:

Best part about yesterday was the relief of knowing that i didn't have to listen to the Browns fans today in the office.  A one week reprieve until they beat the Jets and are the best team in the NFL again.

Best part of my day today is seeing all the Browns fans who were talking smack about a super bowl run and the Bengals tanking for Tua and being one of the worst teams in the league.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, theJ said:

Best part about yesterday was the relief of knowing that i didn't have to listen to the Browns fans today in the office.  A one week reprieve until they beat the Jets and are the best team in the NFL again.

 

36 minutes ago, THE DUKE said:

Best part of my day today is seeing all the Browns fans who were talking smack about a super bowl run and the Bengals tanking for Tua and being one of the worst teams in the league.

ha ha, indeed. It's awful quiet in the office today.

The guy that has talked the most isn't even here today, I so much wanted to talk to him.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Beck Bristow said:

No way.  They'll say that it was called correctly, then in the offseason they'll update the wording so it obviously would be an incomplete pass.

Unfortunately true.  But at least I didn't get subjected to Mike Perreirra's verbal gymnastics trying to justify that Shazier's hit on Gio was legal and that a fumble should have been called.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, THE DUKE said:

Best part of my day today is seeing all the Browns fans who were talking smack about a super bowl run and the Bengals tanking for Tua and being one of the worst teams in the league.

Best part of mine is that the Colts lost a tough one on the road too.  Nobody is piping up.  We all empathise with one another

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For some reason,  the game wasn't even on in Columbus.  It didn't even conflict with the Browns game, but couldn't be bothered for a double header the first weekend of the year.  Cincinnati is closer to Columbus dummies!  Clean it up! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This OL can pass protect, and the DL finally looked like it should with the talent the Bengals have...

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, TheVillain112 said:

This OL can pass protect

In a straight up, drop back 5 or 7 steps offense, they can't.  But the combination of playaction and quick passing will make them look good all year.

They got exposed a little on those last two drives.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, theJ said:

In a straight up, drop back 5 or 7 steps offense, they can't.  But the combination of playaction and quick passing will make them look good all year.

They got exposed a little on those last two drives.

I'll need to rewatch the game but most of the pressure I saw came from the inside (guards).  I wouldn't be surprised if Billy Price is starting sooner than later...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Re-watched the first half.  I thought the OL played outstanding in pass blocking.  Even on the first sack to the DT Jefferson, Michael Jordan was doing a good job of holding his own against him.  Andre Smith pushed Clowney around the bend so Dalton had a pocket, but Dalton has awful pocket movement and he bailed on the pocket that allowed Jefferson to get a sack going horizontal.  He felt Clowney behind him (although Andre Smith was doing a good job).  Can't blame Michael Jordan on that sack.

Getting to see the Bengals team without Marvin Lewis finally has been fantastic but I can't wait to see Zac Taylor's offense without Andy Dalton...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, TheVillain112 said:

Getting to see the Bengals team without Marvin Lewis finally has been fantastic but I can't wait to see Zac Taylor's offense without Andy Dalton...

As competitive as they were yesterday, you might want to start profiling QB's expected to be drafted after pick 16 or so, or the second round.

IMO you're going to be waiting a while.

Also, i thought Dalton played outstanding.  A game like that is one that in the past he typically screws the pooch on something stupid.  A back breaking INT on a bad decision, missing open receivers in critical situations, etc.  But yesterday there were no bad INT's.  The first fumble (wasn't an INT, officially) was just a wonky thing that wasn't a mental mistake.  The second one wasn't a fumble at all.  That was an incomplete pass. 

Quite honestly, i don't think he's any better or worse than Goff, who thrived in something similar to this system all the way to a SB.  Goff has some things on him, and he has some things on Goff.  I think they can live with Dalton at this level.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, theJ said:

As competitive as they were yesterday, you might want to start profiling QB's expected to be drafted after pick 16 or so, or the second round.

IMO you're going to be waiting a while.

Also, i thought Dalton played outstanding.  A game like that is one that in the past he typically screws the pooch on something stupid.  A back breaking INT on a bad decision, missing open receivers in critical situations, etc.  But yesterday there were no bad INT's.  The first fumble (wasn't an INT, officially) was just a wonky thing that wasn't a mental mistake.  The second one was a fumble at all.  That was an incomplete pass. 

Quite honestly, i don't think he's any better or worse than Goff.  Goff has some things on him, and he has some things on Goff.  I think they can live with Dalton at this level.

The pocket presence is my biggest issue with him at the moment.  Joe Thomas had a twitter thread discussing how he thinks pass protection is 90% on the QB/Scheme and 10% on the OL (generally). I'm moving in that line of thinking as well.  The sacks for the Browns went down drastically when the team went from Hue/Tyrod to Kitchens/Baker.

Ryan Finley looked much better in the pocket and he's a rookie.  Yes, there's a lot of other things Dalton will do better on but I don't think his ability to throw on the move or pocket presence is getting any better.  He is what he is in that regard.  Also, I forget the stat but outside of the #1 overall pick for QB, the majority (almost all) QBs who have been drafted in the first round, the team traded up to get.  We need to stop saving our 3rd round picks for backup LBs and ST players, and start trading picks to be aggressive to get our guy at QB...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  



×