Succop to IR, we signed Cairo Santos

deeluxx3

Santos was very good up until he got hurt in 2017.  He went from 83% in 2014 to 81% in 2015 to 87% in 2016, and was perfect in 2017 (FGs 3/3, XP 12/12) before he was IR'ed and cut. 

His 84.8% accuracy in KC (4 years) is higher than Succop's 83.6% during his time in KC (5 years). Santos was also 7/12 from 50+, which is about 6% higher than Succop in KC.  I'm not sure if its more difficult to kick in KC than Nashville, although I do know it's significantly colder in KC, especially in Nov/Dec. 

Cairo had an off year last year, maybe lingering effects from the injury in '17?  And he really wasn't bad in LA those few weeks filling in for Zeurlein... as he was 5/6 in FGs and still had a 63.2 kickoff distance average.  The last few games in Tampa though... 75% on FGs and 59.9 on KO's... both numbers way below his career averages. 

I'm hoping for a bounce back to his 16/17 KC form.

I'm not super worried about it.  Santos should be fine.  If anything, it should force Arthur Smith to play less conservatively, and with the new additions to the receiving corps (including Brown, who looks like he should be a pretty good possession guy, and Humphries, who can do well with short yards) and Derrick Henry, that might make our offense less reliant on field goals all the damn  time.

• Like 1

On 9/4/2019 at 3:41 PM, ragevsuall17 said:

Santos was very good up until he got hurt in 2017.  He went from 83% in 2014 to 81% in 2015 to 87% in 2016, and was perfect in 2017 (FGs 3/3, XP 12/12) before he was IR'ed and cut. 

His 84.8% accuracy in KC (4 years) is higher than Succop's 83.6% during his time in KC (5 years). Santos was also 7/12 from 50+, which is about 6% higher than Succop in KC.  I'm not sure if its more difficult to kick in KC than Nashville, although I do know it's significantly colder in KC, especially in Nov/Dec. 

Cairo had an off year last year, maybe lingering effects from the injury in '17?  And he really wasn't bad in LA those few weeks filling in for Zeurlein... as he was 5/6 in FGs and still had a 63.2 kickoff distance average.  The last few games in Tampa though... 75% on FGs and 59.9 on KO's... both numbers way below his career averages. 

I'm hoping for a bounce back to his 16/17 KC form.

Cool.  You always make me feel better, rage.  :D

• Like 3

6 hours ago, ragevsuall17 said:

1 week in and I look like a mo'fin' prophet! 

It would suck for Succop to lose his job to Santos... But it's hopefully the position Santos puts us in... 

If Santos is kicking well, I think you stick with him. Would be brutal for Succop, but why take the risk that he doesn't come back all the way from injury? 

7 hours ago, ragevsuall17 said:

1 week in and I look like a mo'fin' prophet! 

It would suck for Succop to lose his job to Santos... But it's hopefully the position Santos puts us in... 

1 hour ago, titansNvolsR#1 said:

If Santos is kicking well, I think you stick with him. Would be brutal for Succop, but why take the risk that he doesn't come back all the way from injury? 

I mean, I think in that situation you float the idea of trading one.  If one can net you a draft pick or another player you could use, then that could be an easy tiebreaker.

Apparently teams are giving up draft picks for kickers now.

2 hours ago, Daniel said:

I mean, I think in that situation you float the idea of trading one.  If one can net you a draft pick or another player you could use, then that could be an easy tiebreaker.

Apparently teams are giving up draft picks for kickers now.

Right. That is something I mentioned earlier. I don't know if the trade deadline will pass by time Succop is able to come back.

But there are a few teams desperate for a dependable kicker.