Matt Stafford

BZski

The thread that just got locked got me researching. I would even say Matt Stafford is a top 10 QB and at minimum a top 15.

1. Brady

2. Brees

3. Mahomes

4. Rodgers

5. Wilson

6. Rivers

7. Big Ben

8. Watson

9. Ryan

10. Stafford

Stafford on another team would be a consistent playoff winner and looked at even higher on this list. The media loves to dump on the Lions and nevermind the fact that Stafford:

Fastest player to reach 15,000 career passing yards (53 GP)

Fastest player to reach 20,000 career passing yards (71 GP)

Fastest player to reach 25,000 career passing yards (90 GP)

Fastest player to reach 30,000 career passing yards (109 GP)[150]

Fastest player to reach 3,000 completions (125 GP)

Most passing yards in first 100 games

First player in NFL history to complete 60% or more of all passes in each game in a season (2015)

Most fourth quarter comebacks in a season: 8 (2016)

Most game-winning drives in a single season: 8 (2016)

Sixth in NFL history in comeback wins: 26

27 minutes ago, BZski said:

The thread that just got locked got me researching. I would even say Matt Stafford is a top 10 QB and at minimum a top 15.

1. Brady

2. Brees

3. Mahomes

4. Rodgers

5. Wilson

6. Rivers

7. Big Ben

8. Watson

9. Ryan

10. Stafford

Stafford on another team would be a consistent playoff winner and looked at even higher on this list. The media loves to dump on the Lions and nevermind the fact that Stafford:

Fastest player to reach 15,000 career passing yards (53 GP)

Fastest player to reach 20,000 career passing yards (71 GP)

Fastest player to reach 25,000 career passing yards (90 GP)

Fastest player to reach 30,000 career passing yards (109 GP)[150]

Fastest player to reach 3,000 completions (125 GP)

Most passing yards in first 100 games

First player in NFL history to complete 60% or more of all passes in each game in a season (2015)

Most fourth quarter comebacks in a season: 8 (2016)

Most game-winning drives in a single season: 8 (2016)

Sixth in NFL history in comeback wins: 26

My thing is, you can't just judge a QB on how many yards they pass for.  If they are scoring garbage points at the end of a game when they've already lost and the defense doesn't care, it doesn't make them a great QB... it makes them Blake Bortles.

I would say he is top 10, in terms of arm talent overall he is arguably top 5.  Heck how about we trade Kirk Cousins for Matthew Stafford straight up, I would be down for that all day long...

I would agree with that QB list also from top to bottom.

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, BofaDeez54927 said:

It just goes to show that the situation a player goes into is as important, if not more so, than ability.

He's a good QB that hasn't had much help through the years.

Not that much different than Luck, IMO.

He's had tons of help.  Calvin Johnson is one of the best WRs anyone could ever get.  Reggie Bush had just won a superbowl a few years before he went to the lions.  LeGarrette Blount was on 2 superbowl teams before he joined the lions.  Eric Ebron was considered a draft bust with the lions, but really shined on the colts when he was with an actual good QB

Edited by thedorchannel
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, thedorchannel said:

He's had tons of help.  Calvin Johnson is one of the best WRs anyone could ever get.  Reggie Bush had just won a superbowl a few years before he went to the lions.  LeGarrette Blount was on 2 superbowl teams before he joined the lions.  Eric Ebron was considered a draft bust with the lions, but really shined on the colts when he was with an actual good QB

Kevin Smith got injured and was a bust at RB, Jahvid Best was a bust and got injured at RB as well.  Mikel Leshoure was a bust and got hurt, Reggie Bush was good for one year then basically his career was over.  Calvin Johnson was great but Nate Burleson was not, Bryant Johnson was not, Brandon Pettigrew was not, Kris Dunham was not. The current group could be one of the deepest he has had in awhile.  And yeah Ebron was a little bit of a bust in Detroit but hard to do well when you cannot run the ball, Colts can run the ball, play action so he has a great season off of that not because Stafford is a bad QB.

The OL of Backus, Rims, Raiola, Peterman and Cherilus was ok but nothing great and they were with him for awhile.  The tackles are decent but those guards not not.  The offensive line now is just ok, and hurts that Ragnow will be out for awhile.  The RBs are kind of ok but can they stay healthy who knows, they kind of can run the ball over the past few years and that is a rare thing.  So in terms of players around him, honestly let us talk great players it is Calvin Johnson and that is basically it.  

On offense who has been to the Pro Bowl outside of Stafford and Calvin Johnson?  No one, had some defenders but no other offensive talent that I can remember.  Yeah that is lacking a little talent around him and to say that is not the case well that is wrong I feel. "Tons of help", no.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, thedorchannel said:

Eric Ebron was considered a draft bust with the lions, but really shined on the colts when he was with an actual good QB

Ebron is the only one holding Ebron back. Becoming a father and getting cut were the best things to happen to him, IMO.

As it is, outside of an offense that features him more in the RZ, he's the same player. 

51 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

Kevin Smith got injured and was a bust at RB, Jahvid Best was a bust and got injured at RB as well.  Mikel Leshoure was a bust and got hurt, Reggie Bush was good for one year then basically his career was over.  Calvin Johnson was great but Nate Burleson was not, Bryant Johnson was not, Brandon Pettigrew was not, Kris Dunham was not. The current group could be one of the deepest he has had in awhile.  And yeah Ebron was a little bit of a bust in Detroit but hard to do well when you cannot run the ball, Colts can run the ball, play action so he has a great season off of that not because Stafford is a bad QB.

The OL of Backus, Rims, Raiola, Peterman and Cherilus was ok but nothing great and they were with him for awhile.  The tackles are decent but those guards not not.  The offensive line now is just ok, and hurts that Ragnow will be out for awhile.  The RBs are kind of ok but can they stay healthy who knows, they kind of can run the ball over the past few years and that is a rare thing.  So in terms of players around him, honestly let us talk great players it is Calvin Johnson and that is basically it.  

On offense who has been to the Pro Bowl outside of Stafford and Calvin Johnson?  No one, had some defenders but no other offensive talent that I can remember.  Yeah that is lacking a little talent around him and to say that is not the case well that is wrong I feel. "Tons of help", no.

The problem with the Lions running backs is game script.  The Lions are always behind in games, which means the running backs have to be used less.  I noticed you left off Leggeret Blount, who was successful with the steelers, patriots and eagles until he went to the Lions, which is where running backs go to die due to the game script.

Oh, and Calvin Johnson, Ebron, Golden tate,  anquan boldin, TJ lang, Andre Roberts have all been to the pro bowl and worked with Stafford on offense.   When ever something goes wrong with the Lions, everyone else gets blamed/fired except for Stafford.