Matt Stafford

BZski

4 minutes ago, Malik said:

Tony Romo only had 8 seasons in the NFL where he played at least 10 games. Despite literally having 1000+ less pass attempts he still has more touchdowns than Stafford! All that talent as a passer has amounted to nothing individually or for the team. The most you could say is that he should have that game against Dallas. That's it. That's the list. Both statistically and the eye test will show that Stafford is nowhere near Rivers or Romo. He's better than Cutler at least.

Here were the offensive players they played with below.  Mind you Tony had it even better than Phillip did especially in terms of consistent run game, Rivers had to deal with what Stafford does a few years back with zero to not run game but that has changed obviously since Gordon came in and some others.  Oh and they had some fine defenders as well, Tony boy had Demarcus Ware, Roy Williams, Bradie James, Jay Ratliff, Marcus Spears, Ken Hamlin and Greg Ellis all on the same defensive team.  Rivers a little less D talent but Eric Weddle for a number of years, Shawne Merriman in his prime, Shaun Phillips, Jammer in his prime etc.  Not to mention currently which is very good especially in the secondary.

Some Cowboys offensive stars since 2006
Jason Witten
Terry Glenn
Terrell Owens
DeMarco Murray
Dez Bryant
Tyron Smith
Flozell Adams
Roy Williams
Mac Colombo
Travis Fredrick
Marion Barber
Doug Free
Andre Gurode
Leonard Davis

Some Chargers offensive stars since 2006
LaDanian Tomlinson
Antonio Gates
Keenan McCardell
Vincent Jackson
Keenan Allen
Melvin Gordon
Marcus McNeill
Lorenzo Neal
Hunter Henry
Nick Hardwick
Kris Dielman
Malcolm Floyd

Compare the rosters, Lions to these groups O and D, not even in the same category at all.  

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Malik said:

Tony Romo only had 8 seasons in the NFL where he played at least 10 games. Despite literally having 1000+ less pass attempts he still has more touchdowns than Stafford! All that talent as a passer has amounted to nothing individually or for the team. The most you could say is that he should have that game against Dallas. That's it. That's the list. Both statistically and the eye test will show that Stafford is nowhere near Rivers or Romo. He's better than Cutler at least.

So essentially, their nothing of note is better than his nothing of note?

Edited by BofaDeez54927

7 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

Here were the offensive players they played with below.  Mind you Tony had it even better than Phillip did especially in terms of consistent run game, Rivers had to deal with what Stafford does a few years back with zero to not run game but that has changed obviously since Gordon came in and some others.  Oh and they had some fine defenders as well, Tony boy had Demarcus Ware, Roy Williams, Bradie James, Jay Ratliff, Marcus Spears, Ken Hamlin and Greg Ellis all on the same defensive team.  Rivers a little less D talent but Eric Weddle for a number of years, Shawne Merriman in his prime, Shaun Phillips, Jammer in his prime etc.  Not to mention currently which is very good especially in the secondary.

Some Cowboys offensive stars since 2006
Jason Witten
Terry Glenn
Terrell Owens
DeMarco Murray
Dez Bryant
Tyron Smith
Flozell Adams
Roy Williams
Mac Colombo
Travis Fredrick
Marion Barber
Doug Free
Andre Gurode
Leonard Davis

You are stretching with some of those names.

3 minutes ago, iknowcool said:

You are stretching with some of those names.

Maybe but you have three Hall of Fame players in that group if Smith keeps playing well, would be four if Dez Bryant's career did not end so quickly.  And that is not including that stacked defense I mentioned especially in 2007, Stafford has one and only one.

9 hours ago, thedorchannel said:

My thing is, you can't just judge a QB on how many yards they pass for.  If they are scoring garbage points at the end of a game when they've already lost and the defense doesn't care, it doesn't make them a great QB... 

Stafford has led the league in game winning drives 3 times (per Pro Football Reference), and has finished in the upper 1/4 of those rankings 6 times in his 10 yr career. He had 8 GWD in 2016; Bortles has 8 in his entire 5 yr career. 

2 hours ago, rocky_rams said:

No way. He’s much better than Winston, Andy Dalton, Dak, and whoever is in Miami just to name a few 

I think of it as "if offered player (x) straight up for Stafford, would you pull the trigger?"; the list is relatively short, depending on criteria - long term, you might swap, say, Goff, but if it's for just this coming season, I'd say you don't swap Brady, Mayfield, DeShaun Watson, Mahomes, Rivers*, Rodgers, Wentz*, Brees, and Wilson. Everyone else ranges from a coin flip (Cam, Matt Ryan, Dak) to a slam dunk. 

* could be a coin flip

32 minutes ago, Mr Bad Example said:

I think of it as "if offered player (x) straight up for Stafford, would you pull the trigger?"; the list is relatively short, depending on criteria - long term, you might swap, say, Goff, but if it's for just this coming season, I'd say you don't swap Brady, Mayfield, DeShaun Watson, Mahomes, Rivers*, Rodgers, Wentz*, Brees, and Wilson. Everyone else ranges from a coin flip (Cam, Matt Ryan, Dak) to a slam dunk. 

* could be a coin flip

Honestly, as a Saints fan i'd consider taking Stafford for Brees.  More live arm, the weapons on the offense could work with Stafford etc. Not saying I would do it, but it's not something I would just dismiss.

• Like 1

@Mr Bad Example I think you are living up to your name.  Using your example though, for this upcoming season I would 100% take Stafford over Mayfield, Rodgers, and Wentz.  Mayfield hasn't really proven anything, Rodgers hasn't proven much outside of a few great seasons he's distanced himself from, Wentz is never available when you need him, granted Stafford hasn't played many, if any, playoff games either, but if the time came he would at least be healthy.  Now long term, I wouldn't make those swaps because 2 of them are still on rookie deals and Rodgers has played at a higher level than Stafford ever has with comparable high end talent, though worse with lesser talent IMO.  For just this season, it's hard to not just take the incumbent, especially a good incumbent, over an unknown.  We know how the Saints work with a QB like Brees, but how would it work with someone like Stafford?  We don't have even a comparison for it.  Brady might have one with Jimmy G etc coming into the system and performing well, but that's about it.

8 hours ago, Raves said:

@Mr Bad Example I think you are living up to your name.  Using your example though, for this upcoming season I would 100% take Stafford over Mayfield, Rodgers, and Wentz.  Mayfield hasn't really proven anything, Rodgers hasn't proven much outside of a few great seasons he's distanced himself from, Wentz is never available when you need him, granted Stafford hasn't played many, if any, playoff games either, but if the time came he would at least be healthy.  Now long term, I wouldn't make those swaps because 2 of them are still on rookie deals and Rodgers has played at a higher level than Stafford ever has with comparable high end talent, though worse with lesser talent IMO.  For just this season, it's hard to not just take the incumbent, especially a good incumbent, over an unknown.  We know how the Saints work with a QB like Brees, but how would it work with someone like Stafford?  We don't have even a comparison for it.  Brady might have one with Jimmy G etc coming into the system and performing well, but that's about it.

Sure, so the list is shorter. I was actually supporting Stafford (and I agree with your previous comment about Brees, and maybe even Brady - swap the possibly-declining player for a proven QB in his prime with a live arm, because QBs outrun Father Time right up until they don't, a la Manning and Favre).

11 hours ago, Raves said:

Stafford > Rodgers? Look the others I think are inaccurate hot takes but that's all you. There's no universe in which Stafford should be taken over Rodgers.

2 hours ago, Danger said:

Stafford > Rodgers? Look the others I think are inaccurate hot takes but that's all you. There's no universe in which Stafford should be taken over Rodgers.

Going forward I would take Stafford. Rodgers WAS great. Now he is injury prone and has really been average the last couple of years too be honest. While Stafford didnt have a great season last year, he was pretty much handcuffed with a bad OC (Jim Bob), no running game again after Kerryon Johnson went down, and it was Kenny G and misfits at WR (Andy Jones, Powell, Chris Lacy, and nobodies at TE) but the previous years 2015-2017 Stafford was easily a top 10 QB.

Here is a hot take.

Rodgers may be the most OVERRATED QB OF ALL-TIME!

He has great talent there is no doubt about that but there are people that would actually say Aaron Rodgers is the BEST QB of ALL-TIME! That is INSANE! Brady, Montana, Marino, Brees, Manning, Elway, Steve Young, ALL are much better than Rodgers.

4 minutes ago, BZski said:

Going forward I would take Stafford. Rodgers WAS great. Now he is injury prone and has really been average the last couple of years too be honest. While Stafford didnt have a great season last year, he was pretty much handcuffed with a bad OC (Jim Bob), no running game again after Kerryon Johnson went down, and it was Kenny G and misfits at WR (Andy Jones, Powell, Chris Lacy, and nobodies at TE) but the previous years 2015-2017 Stafford was easily a top 10 QB.

Here is a hot take.

Rodgers may be the most OVERRATED QB OF ALL-TIME!

He has great talent there is no doubt about that but there are people that would actually say Aaron Rodgers is the BEST QB of ALL-TIME! That is INSANE! Brady, Montana, Marino, Brees, Manning, Elway, Steve Young, ALL are much better than Rodgers.

Elway is easily the most overrated QB of all time, but I digress.

Taking Stafford over Rodgers is pure lunacy. 

Aaron Rodgers Passing Statistics for Career Games 2008 to 2018

Games Passing   Passing  
Year Tm G GS QBrec Cmp Att Cmp% Yds TD TD% Int Int% Lng Y/A AY/A Y/C Y/G Rate QBR Sk Yds NY/A ANY/A Sk% 4QC GWD
Average 14.4 14.4   320.5 493.9   3874.1 30.6   7.2                 36.6 237.6          
Per 16 Games 16 16   357 550   4315 34   8                 41 265    
2008-2018 GNB 158 158 100-57-1 3525 5433 64.9 42615 337 6.2 79 1.5 93 7.8 8.4 12.1 269.7 103.5   403 2614 6.85 7.40 6.9    

Matthew Stafford Passing Statistics for Career Games 2010 to 2018

Games Passing   Passing  
Year Tm G GS QBrec Cmp Att Cmp% Yds TD TD% Int Int% Lng Y/A AY/A Y/C Y/G Rate QBR Sk Yds NY/A ANY/A Sk% 4QC GWD
Average 14.6 14.6   352.3 558.7   4028.8 24.9   12.1                 33.9 215.1          
Per 16 Games 16 16   387 614   4429 27   13                 37 236    
2010-2018 DET 131 131 64-67-0 3171 5028 63.1 36259 224 4.5 109 2.2 87 7.2 7.1 11.4 276.8 90.5   305 1936 6.44 6.36 5.7    

Aaron Rodgers in a "Down year" last year had 25 TDs to 2 INT. Matt Stafford had a passer rating below league average. Aaron Rodgers has played all 16 games in 4 of the past 5 years. While I agree universally Stafford is underrated. There are a lot of you who are overcompensating in the other direction and overrating him.

4 minutes ago, Danger said:

Elway is easily the most overrated QB of all time, but I digress.

Taking Stafford over Rodgers is pure lunacy. 

Aaron Rodgers Passing Statistics for Career Games 2008 to 2018

Games Passing   Passing  
Average 14.4 14.4   320.5 493.9   3874.1 30.6   7.2                 36.6 237.6          
Per 16 Games 16 16   357 550   4315 34   8                 41 265    
2008-2018 GNB 158 158 100-57-1 3525 5433 64.9 42615 337 6.2 79 1.5 93 7.8 8.4 12.1 269.7 103.5   403 2614 6.85 7.40 6.9    

Matthew Stafford Passing Statistics for Career Games 2010 to 2018

Games Passing   Passing  
Average 14.6 14.6   352.3 558.7   4028.8 24.9   12.1                 33.9 215.1          
Per 16 Games 16 16   387 614   4429 27   13                 37 236    
2010-2018 DET 131 131 64-67-0 3171 5028 63.1 36259 224 4.5 109 2.2 87 7.2 7.1 11.4 276.8 90.5   305 1936 6.44 6.36 5.7    

Aaron Rodgers in a "Down year" last year had 25 TDs to 2 INT. Matt Stafford had a passer rating below league average. Aaron Rodgers has played all 16 games in 4 of the past 5 years. While I agree universally Stafford is underrated. There are a lot of you who are overcompensating in the other direction and overrating him.

If anything those stats show how close Stafford is to Rodgers (also considering Stafford missed all of 2010) and Rodgers being on much better teams. That being said, there is NO DOUBT Rodgers is a great talent but he is 36, more fragile, terrible leader. Going forward say the next 5 years I would say give me Stafford that is all.

I just mentioned that Rodgers may be the most overrated QB of all time because there are some fans that say he is the best QB to ever play and is much better than Brady which I think is INSANE....Its not even close!