Matt Stafford

BZski

27 minutes ago, thedorchannel said:

The problem with the Lions running backs is game script.  The Lions are always behind in games, which means the running backs have to be used less.  I noticed you left off Leggeret Blount, who was successful with the steelers, patriots and eagles until he went to the Lions, which is where running backs go to die due to the game script.

Oh, and Calvin Johnson, Ebron, Golden tate,  anquan boldin, TJ lang, Andre Roberts have all been to the pro bowl and worked with Stafford on offense.   When ever something goes wrong with the Lions, everyone else gets blamed/fired except for Stafford.

I already said Calvin Johnson was in the Pro bowl.  Anquan Boldin was a shell of himself when he was on the Lions by the way and played for ONE season for them, his last in the NFL.  TJ Lang was always a little overrated in my book anyway and Andre Roberts made the Pro bowl one time as a return man only and is not great all time player obviously.  Golden Tate I forgot, he had that one great year on the Lions and was a Pro bowler and a few others.   So there are now two offensive players out of playing football for the Lions for 10 seasons who are Pro Bowlers outside of Stafford himself.

I did not mention Blount because he just got there really and last year was injured basically the entire season so he has done nothing as of yet really.

Let us compared to say Tom Brady

Gronkowski 5 time Pro Bowler, 4 time 1st team All Pro, future Hall of Famer
Wes Welker 5 time Pro Bowler, 2 time 1st team All Pro
Logan Mankins 6 time Pro Bowler, 1 time 1st team All Pro
Matt Light 3 time Pro Bowler, 1 time 1st team All Pro
Randy Moss 1 time Pro Bowler, 1 time 1st team All Pro, Hall of Famer
Cory Dillon 1 time Pro Bowler
Troy Brown 1 time Pro Bowler
Damien Wood  1 time Pro Bowler
Dan Koppe 1 time Pro Bowler
Brian Waters 1 time Pro Bowler

And guys who did not make a Pro bowl but can really play Julian Edelman, Brandin Cooks, Deion Branch, Kevin Faulk, Daniel Graham, Ben Watson, Nate Solder, Danny Amendola etc.  Not mentioning any on the defense which has tons of Pro Bowlers over the years and is a huge part of that teams success and the offenses success especially early in his career.  Who is around you means nothing?  Go ask Big Ben also how being drafted by the Steelers has helped his career and helped become a Hall of Famer down the road.

44 minutes ago, thedorchannel said:

oh and to add onto the list in the first post, Cam Newton, Jared Goff,  Nick Foles, Carson Wentz, and Dak Prescott are all better than Stafford. 

I think Stafford is easily better than all of those guys. Put Stafford of those teams and they are Super Bowl contenders.

I really like what Stafford brings to the table, I just think the Lions are a bad team for him as they seem to always be lacking somewhere that he ends up needing to try and overcome.

Also I think the top 10 list needs changed.  I would say it's:

1.  Mahomes (I expect another great year production wise, 4500 yards, 38-43 TDs, 12-17 INTs)

2.  Wilson (I think Wilson is a stud will have another strong year, 3700 yards, 35 TD, 10 INT, while having fewest attempts of the top 4 QBs)

3.  Brees (Should have another season like last year, 4300 yards, 37 TD, 11 INT)

4.  Brady (Production will be behind the 3 above him, 4400 yards, 33 TD, 10 INT, but winning will be ahead of everyone below him.)

5.  Rivers (Should have production better than Brady but likely worse team based results.)

6.  Big Ben (I think just behind Rivers in production, and about the same level of winning)

7.  Watson (See Above but replace Rivers with Big Ben)

8.  Rodgers (availability is a thing as Dallas fans like to point out which is only reason I have him this low.  Also hasn't been as dominant as our memories of him for a few years)

9-15 Stafford/Wentz/Ryan/Newton/Dak/Baker/Cousins/Goff (Whatever order you decide they belong in)

I would have had him top 10 before this past season, but he's fallen out for me.

I'm not going to order them, but QBs I take over Stafford no questions asked.

Brady, Brees, Rodgers, Mahomes, Wilson, Rivers, Ryan, Wentz, Goff, Watson, Mayfield, Roethlisberger, [Luck]. So I'd have him anywhere between 13th-17th right now, (would have been 1 spot lower if Luck hadn't retired)

I group him up with Carr, Prescott, Newton and Cousins after all of those aforementioned guys.

Edited by Danger

He's one of the top ten most talented quarterbacks in the league IMO.  I don't know what they're doing wrong in Detroit that they're not consistently winning, but it's not all on him.  If age wasn't a factor, I'd take him over guys like Dak and Goff.

Edited by Gmen

4 hours ago, BZski said:

I think Stafford is easily better than all of those guys. Put Stafford of those teams and they are Super Bowl contenders.

I think you can argue that those teams are pretty much already Superbowl contenders. Rams, Eagles, and Cowboys definitely are. Panthers and Jaguars are debatable. Just because Stafford makes the Rams a SB contender doesn't tell us he is better than Goff.

• Like 1

If you go home to this every night, you are a winner in life. Period.  

Matt-Stafford-775x465.png

898dccf1-d93f-4127-9c36-cfad6d53bf88_750

On a more serious note, all the hate on Stafford, Phillip Rivers should get just as much because he has been on much better teams arguably.  Has not made quite the same amount but has made $170+ million or so and is 3-4 in the post season, Stafford 0-3 but again Rivers has been on better teams.  Still Stafford gets crap because he loses sure, but the guy is ridiculously talented as a passer.  Jay Cutler and more importantly Tony Romo were on much better teams but were not that much more successful but get way less crap, and clearly Stafford is still playing.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

If you go home to this every night, you are a winner in life. Period.  

On a more serious note, all the hate on Stafford, Phillip Rivers should get just as much because he has been on much better teams arguably.  Has not made quite the same amount but has made $170+ million or so and is 3-4 in the post season, Stafford 0-3 but again Rivers has been on better teams.  Still Stafford gets crap because he loses sure, but the guy is ridiculously talented as a passer.  Jay Cutler and more importantly Tony Romo were on much better teams but were not that much more successful but get way less crap, and clearly Stafford is still playing.

Tony Romo only had 8 seasons in the NFL where he played at least 10 games. Despite literally having 1000+ less pass attempts he still has more touchdowns than Stafford! All that talent as a passer has amounted to nothing individually or for the team. The most you could say is that he should have that game against Dallas. That's it. That's the list. Both statistically and the eye test will show that Stafford is nowhere near Rivers or Romo. He's better than Cutler at least.