Week 1 GDT: Houston Texans @ New Orleans Saints

amazingandre

Houston-Texans-vs.-New-Orleans-Saints-.j

Well, boys, it's that time of year again! Throw on a jersey (if it still fits), grab a cold brew and warm plate of food, and get ready to see some Texan football! The off-season has been a wild ride, but none of that matters this week. The current team is set and the players are ready. We have some new key additions in Tunsil and Stills, plus the return of some key stars (Fuller & Coutee). This season will be a make or break year for the current front office and coaching staff. Mediocrity will no longer suffice. (At least we hope)

Our week 1 opponent is a tough challenge for us. We have historically struggled against good quarterbacks and wide receivers. We face one of the best duos in Drew Brees and Michael Thomas this week. Throw in Alvin Kamara and you see why this week will be challenging for our defense. The front 7 should be good still, but our secondary continues to be a question mark. Will the new pieces help right the ship?

On offense, we have enough firepower to keep up with anyone, as long as Watson stays upright and continues to progress as a QB.  He needs to get a better feel for the pocket and start using RB's more. With Miller out, I think our gameplan will shift and we will become a more dominant passing team. Duke Johnson should provide a star out of the backfield and Hyde should be able to manage some goal-line stuff. It all hinges on the OL's ability to protect and block. Tunsil will be an anchor, but Howard and Scharping need to get good in a hurry. 

I am VERY excited about this difficult match-up and feel we have a good chance of winning, as long as OB stays out of the way. Let Kelly coach the offense. Let his creative juices flow. I expect this to be a shoot-out. I predict the Texans win 34-30. 

Edited by amazingandre
  • Like 1

I am interested to see what Drew Brees is this season. He was showing some major signs of slowing down last year. He is playing this season at age 40! Last season he threw for fewer yards than any other year with the saints, but he also threw the fewest picks and completed an insane 74% of his passes. I really wanted to see him vs Brady in the Super Bowl last year, but it will be interesting to see if he has it again this season for another go around. 

I am not really scared of their backfield. Kamara has not proven he can be the featured back. He is dangerous catching the ball though. Murray isnt as good as Ingram was. 

They have an absolute stud in WR Michael Thomas, and he might shred our secondary, but I dont fear anyone else they have at WR.  

Jared Cook is a really nice addition at TE. We are going to find out really quick if Gibson really is as good against TEs as they say he is. I am looking forward to this match up. 

The Saints are battling a lot of injuries on defense. Sheldon Rankins is out with injury. David Onyemata is suspended for week 1. So those two being out hurt the D-Line. Jordan and Devenport will be ready to go against our tackles though. 

They have been dealing with injuries and poor depth at linebacker all pre season. Kiki Alonso was a good pick up for them though

The secondary was not good last year. they gave up the 4th most yards per game passing in the league and they really didnt address the problem this off season. 

They were number 2 in rush defense, which is where they made their living. 

If we can block Jordan and Davenport, then I think we are going to win this game. I dont think they can stop our offense if we get decent line play. 

Bottom Line, I think the Saints are a good solid football team, but I think they are being a little over hyped. We can definitely win this game. The good thing is that the Saints are good enough to expose us week 1 and hopefully lead to some adjustments. This game could go so many ways, so honestly no outcome will surprise me. BOB has a history of not having us ready to play and Peyton is a good coach who will be prepared. 

I have some confidence that we win this game 34-27 

Just now, Texansfan713 said:

I dont see how we come away with a win.  I know the Superdome will be rocking and I think Brees, Kamara and Thomas will destroy our defense, especially the secondary.  If we can match scores vs them we MIGHT have a chance but thats not a given.

Last season, the Bucs beat the Saints in New Orleans week 1. It's a divisional game, so they know each other well - but I have to think we're a better team than Tampa Bay.

7 hours ago, tab said:

i think we pull out a close surprise win. I like primetime Watson

Primetime Watson is 4-1 as a starter, 3-0 last season. His only loss was that SNF game vs the Chiefs, where he threw for 280 yards and 4 TDs (the one where Watt and Mercilius were both lost for the season).

8 hours ago, Jaytrajik said:

I have a feeling that our defense won't be able to stop a nose bleed. Our pass rush will be non existent and we'll probably give up close to 40. I hope I'm wrong though. 

I don't think our defense will be great, but I think it won't give up 40. I actually think this game is the start of the "Zach Cunningham is a beast and everyone is going to remember his name from here on out" year.

We beat Dallas last season, largely in part because we stonewalled Zeke Elliott. 20 carries, 54 yards, was a dominant performance. If you watch that game again, it wasn't Clowney or Watt making the plays, it was Cunningham - he was all over the place, and he didn't get any sort of shine for that day. People will be talking about a #41 on Tuesday morning, but it won't be Alvin Kamara... it'll be Zach Cunningham.

Mark the tape if you will - Cunningham begins the first of many All Pro campaigns on Monday.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ET80 said:

Primetime Watson is 4-1 as a starter, 3-0 last season. His only loss was that SNF game vs the Chiefs, where he threw for 280 yards and 4 TDs (the one where Watt and Mercilius were both lost for the season).

I don't think our defense will be great, but I think it won't give up 40. I actually think this game is the start of the "Zach Cunningham is a beast and everyone is going to remember his name from here on out" year.

We beat Dallas last season, largely in part because we stonewalled Zeke Elliott. 20 carries, 54 yards, was a dominant performance. If you watch that game again, it wasn't Clowney or Watt making the plays, it was Cunningham - he was all over the place, and he didn't get any sort of shine for that day. People will be talking about a #41 on Tuesday morning, but it won't be Alvin Kamara... it'll be Zach Cunningham.

Mark the tape if you will - Cunningham begins the first of many All Pro campaigns on Monday.

Exactly. With the line backing talent we have. The run game will be fine. 

• Like 1