Week 1 GDT: Houston Texans @ New Orleans Saints

amazingandre

Our line was terrible but the 6 sacks are a bit inflated. They got 1 sack off a play that if he wasn’t off sides, he timed the snap count so perfectly that there isn’t a line in the league that could have blocked him. Another sack was like 7 seconds into the play as Watson was running laterally and was caught from behind. Then we had a complete miscommunication involving Tunsil and a guard, which I have to think will get better. Kelemete was out there looking like prime Sua-filo but he should be on the bench. 

There were times that our line gave lots of protection. 

Henderson was also clearly outmatched. RT will be a weak point. 

Run blocking was good for stretches and terrible for stretches.  

9 minutes ago, sammymvpknight said:

Unbelievable game. Good game guys. You're going to win lots of games this year. Watson to Hopkins really is a treat.

Great, gutsy win on your end as well. Drew Brees is still going strong at 40, you guys should be in the drivers' seat in the NFC!

Would be great to run this back again at the end of the season! ;)

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, ET80 said:

Great, gutsy win on your end as well. Drew Brees is still going strong at 40, you guys should be in the drivers' seat in the NFC!

Would be great to run this back again at the end of the season! ;)

I’d be completely fine with not having to see Watkins and Hopkins for a really long time. 

• Like 1

A pattern has emerged:

- New England, 2017: Tom Brady finds Brandin Cooks for a 33 yard TD with :30 seconds left to take the lead and eventually win in Foxboro over Deshaun Watson.

- Seattle, 2017: Russell Wilson finds Jimmy Graham in the end zone for a 25 yard TD, as the Seahawks beat the Texans in Deshaun Watson's coming out party.

- Philadelphia, 2018: Nick Foles ruthlessly exploits Zach Ertz to drive Philly into range for a GW FG. 

- Yesterday.

The trend? Deshaun Watson can guide this team into position to win against anyone in the NFL, anywhere. That's four elite teams he took to the wire, in hostile territory. But, when the game is on the line, the decisions made by the coaching staff (BOB, Romeo, etc) are going to cost us the victory; We're now 0-4 in these games, each loss a near carbon copy of one another. Each time, the defense goes hyper conservative and each time, the defense gives up the GW score. An elite/talented QB sees the soft coverage and exploits it with no mercy.

They say the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again, expecting a different result. If so, Romeo Crennell is certified to be insane - he plays to not lose, he doesn't play to win.

Watson deserves better. Each of those game should have been a statement win for him. But...

1 hour ago, Pastor Dillon said:

At some point a new coach is going to come in and be really successful early on because we have a GREAT offense being held back. 

Honestly, I wasn't upset with the offensive gameplan - there are the normal complaints of 2nd and 10/long and inside handoffs, odd down and distance calls, etc - but all in all, I think the offense looked consistent, with a reasonable balance of run and pass out there. Duke Johnson in this offense is a nice wrinkle that can be a very good call when needed - his work in the flats was good for us.

One thing I'll note - stop running Keke Coutee plays for Kenny Stills. That little shovel jet sweep is a Coutee play, Stills doesn't have the open field awareness to do anything positive with that stuff. Stills is more Will Fuller than Coutee. If you're going to run that shovel jet sweep, go with Johnson.

On 9/9/2019 at 1:25 PM, Apollo Stallion said:

I am most fearful of hearing "that's where they're gunna miss JD Clowney" about 10 times this game with Kamara gashing us with outside speed as I'm fully prepared for Thomas to get his and probably at least one bomb to Ginn or TQ Smith, but not for them to quick strike via the run game. My heart says Texans win in a shootout, my head says Texans manage to scrape to a late 4th quarter lead only to watch Brees march em down for a 2 minute drill clinic. 

At least Apollodamus is in mid-season form. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Apollo Stallion said:

At least Apollodamus is in mid-season form. 

That wasn't a clinic, though - Brock Osweiler could have drove them into position with the Dwight Howard-soft coverage. Nathan Peterman could have done that. Hell... I could probably do it.