The Official Thread of Penn State University

Utley

9 minutes ago, JonStark said:

You honestly don't think the playcalling in the 4th quarter of the OSU game cost us the win? I'm not sure how that's even a debate.

Again, we faced a cupcake schedule aside of a few games. You can throw out all of the season long stats you want, but 80% of it was against teams we were supposed to demolish. Any kid with a Playstation controller could coach a game against most of those teams and blow them out especially when you have the type of playmakers we have. Yes, we scored 38 vs OSU, but the reason they were able to come back was because of the playcalling on offense allowing them to come back. The defense was tired. Keeping them off the field and winding the clock down would've done it. Find different ways of getting your RB the ball. Counters, power, pitches, screens, anything. Good defenses will pick up one when you run the same play over and over again and they did in this game. Passing it 47 times in the MSU game under those conditions would have been insane even if we didn't have Barkley, but we needed to lean on him that game. If we only win 9 games next year without Barkley, that'll be right about where I have us.

Why not use a RPO on every snap? How about because your stud RB doesn't get any momentum started before he's handed the ball? It has nothing to do with a full back, it's about his movement when he gets the ball in his hands. Coming to almost a complete stop does not help a RB, believe it or not.

The running back does not come to a complete stop on an RPO. That’s Saquon, not the scheme.

We put up a lot of points on some good defenses, and did so after being unwatchable offensively for two years. That was all Moorhead.

49 minutes ago, utley4568 said:

The running back does not come to a complete stop on an RPO. That’s Saquon, not the scheme.

We put up a lot of points on some good defenses, and did so after being unwatchable offensively for two years. That was all Moorhead.

We'll have to agree to disagree. IMO the talent we have is more of a factor on our offensive numbers than his coaching.

And maybe I shouldn't have said a complete stop, but it does slow the RB down a ton. The last thing we should be doing is trying to slow Saquon down every time he gets the ball. We need to have designed runs that are strictly handoffs so that he can get the ball in stride.

Offense was so bad before Franklin went out and brought him in. Hope we don't revert to that now.

And Moorehead masked a bad o-line with his scheme alot. Sure there were things I wish he did slightly different, but it worked and people around the country realized how good of a coach he was.

Stinks to lose Huff as well - heck of a recruiter and seemed like a good guy. 

1 hour ago, mm6492 said:

Like I truly think people forget how freaking bad the offense was the year before he arrived. 

Yep, I'm looking forward to Rahne continuing to run it. He has gotten rave reviews inside Lasch.

• 2 weeks later...

We got Parsons. Huge get.

Some others I expect to get
1 of DE Tyreke Smith/Jayson Oweh (leaning the latter)
WR Solomon Enis
OT Rasheed Walker

All of them could be good pick ups. 
Leaves us with 1 more scholarship, who/wear do we use it?

Edited by Danger

26 minutes ago, Danger said:

We got Parsons. Huge get.

Some others I expect to get
1 of DE Tyreke Smith/Jayson Oweh (leaning the latter)
WR Solomon Enis
OT Rasheed Walker

All of them could be good pick ups. 
Leaves us with 1 more scholarship, who/wear do we use it?

Jahan Dotson, Jayson Oweh, Solomon Enis, Rasheed Walker

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, utley4568 said:

He's signing at 12:30.

How do you see this trio of freshman receivers panning out? We have a few guys graduating this year in our all time receptions leader, DaeSean Hamilton, as well as Saeed Blacknall, whom I had much higher expectations for when we signed him.

Also, given the under classmen at DE right now, do you think we'll see Parsons at LB at all? It's been something tossed around with him certainly when mentioning other schools.

Edited by Danger

17 minutes ago, Danger said:

How do you see this trio of freshman receivers panning out? We have a few guys graduating this year in our all time receptions leader, DaeSean Hamilton, as well as Saeed Blacknall, whom I had much higher expectations for when we signed him.

Also, given the under classmen at DE right now, do you think we'll see Parsons at LB at all? It's been something tossed around with him certainly when mentioning other schools.

I really like all four.

Shorter will make an instant impact and be the best receiver to ever take the field at Penn State.

George is big, physical, and raw. Would be stunned if he doesn't redshirt.

Dotson is the most natural of the group. He's smooth in and out of cuts, he's a quality route runner, and he's a natural hands receiver. Probably the safest bet to work out, other than Shorter, and still has a decent ceiling.

Haven't seen a ton of Enis, but I'm a fan of his size and speed. Don't want to comment too much without watching more.

I'd be surprised if Parsons doesn't play some LB.

Just now, utley4568 said:

I really like all four.

Shorter will make an instant impact and be the best receiver to ever take the field at Penn State.

George is big, physical, and raw. Would be stunned if he doesn't redshirt.

Dotson is the most natural of the group. He's smooth in and out of cuts, he's a quality route runner, and he's a natural hands receiver. Probably the safest bet to work out, other than Shorter, and still has a decent ceiling.

Haven't seen a ton of Enis, but I'm a fan of his size and speed. Don't want to comment too much without watching more.

I'd be surprised if Parsons doesn't play some LB.

Oh, I forgot about George tbh. How does Shorter compare to Allen Robinson?

8 minutes ago, Danger said:

Oh, I forgot about George tbh. How does Shorter compare to Allen Robinson?

Comes in way ahead and has more upside. Shorter is everything you want in a WR. He's fast, he's physical, he runs routes incredibly well, he gets in and out of cuts an elite level (especially considering his size), he's as elite as it gets when it comes to receivers.

• Like 1