The Official Thread of Penn State University

Utley

That was the worst loss I've experienced as a football fan. Going to take a while to get over that.

I think the playcalling is 100% to blame. The coaching staff needs to find ways to get the ball into Saquon's hands other than the read option. It's really that simple. Coaches like Franklin try to play against a good rushing defense by trying to beat them in there air. Great coaches find different ways of getting your playmaker involved, and I don't mean flipping Trace/Saquon on the read option. He is going to be amazing in the NFL when he can actual take a handoff from the backfield and go, instead of pausing in the backfield every time.

Also, what happened to Gesicki? He should've been utilized much more on short routes as an outlet for Trace. I just can't understand how we blew that lead in the 4th quarter. The blocked punt was huge, but we still should've been able to run the clock down enough to put that one away.

I can't imagine what Falcons fans felt like if it's taking me this long to get over this one.

13 hours ago, mm6492 said:

I think offensive concerns can be traced to the o-line. 

Agreed, the reason we lost, all in all is that Ohio State outplayed us in the trenches. 

We still have a shot to make the playoff, but we'd need a few things to happen. Ohio State loss to one of the Michigans, Wisconsin to not be Big 10 champ, Notre Dame to lose, Oklahoma to lose.

There's a chance, but it's small, the most important being Ohio State losing another game before the Big 10 Championship game.

I'm normally uber excited for Tuesday night MAC-tion to begin every November.  This time I just couldn't bring myself to watch any college football for the last few days.  This loss is absolutely brutal and cost us the real likelihood of back-to-back B1G championships.

Buchholz and Bates going down with injuries was absolutely devastating and changed the whole complexion of the battle in the trenches.

That said, I'm very curious to see how the team comes out this Saturday.  They should have an edge to them.  And FFS give Barkley a modicum of space to work with.  He had an average of -0.5 yards before contact this past weekend.  That is patently absurd.  I think I counted 4 total plays where he was afforded an average amount of space to work with.  One was the kickoff return TD.  Another was the 36 yard TD.  One was an 8 yard gain, and another was a 2 yard carry.  All he needs is a sliver, and I think that should be a little easier to come by this week against a front consisting of human beings instead of OSUs DLine.  

Also, Michigan State is coming off of a triple OT loss against Northwestern.  If you can get up on them early, there's a real chance to break their will before long.  But we'd have to start fast.

9 hours ago, JonStark said:

That was the worst loss I've experienced as a football fan. Going to take a while to get over that.

I think the playcalling is 100% to blame. The coaching staff needs to find ways to get the ball into Saquon's hands other than the read option. It's really that simple. Coaches like Franklin try to play against a good rushing defense by trying to beat them in there air. Great coaches find different ways of getting your playmaker involved, and I don't mean flipping Trace/Saquon on the read option. He is going to be amazing in the NFL when he can actual take a handoff from the backfield and go, instead of pausing in the backfield every time.

Also, what happened to Gesicki? He should've been utilized much more on short routes as an outlet for Trace. I just can't understand how we blew that lead in the 4th quarter. The blocked punt was huge, but we still should've been able to run the clock down enough to put that one away.

I can't imagine what Falcons fans felt like if it's taking me this long to get over this one.

Agreed - did not seem like they could cover him yet we did not use him enough. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Danger said:

Well it's been a few week since I've been here, but yes, against decent competition our O-Line has been pretty terrible. It's not as bad as it was 2 seasons ago, but it HAS to get better if we want to take that next step and get into the CFP

The Bates injury was brutal. Such a shame that the OL basically ruined Barkley's Heisman campaign and the season as we just needed to win one of either OSU or MSU.

But Menet looked really good at guard yesterday and Fries has really stepped up. So I am excited about next year's OL. 

Also, I like Durkin a lot, but his never-ending smile got kind of creepy as the game wore on.

On ‎11‎/‎26‎/‎2017 at 11:01 AM, BigD88 said:

The Bates injury was brutal. Such a shame that the OL basically ruined Barkley's Heisman campaign and the season as we just needed to win one of either OSU or MSU.

But Menet looked really good at guard yesterday and Fries has really stepped up. So I am excited about next year's OL. 

Also, I like Durkin a lot, but his never-ending smile got kind of creepy as the game wore on.

I think it was a combination of the OLine and the playcalling. Every time I've seen Trace hand it to Saquon instead of pausing for the option, it's worked out, but they refuse to make that a part of the gameplan.

Am I the only one super happy that Moorehead is gone?

10 hours ago, JonStark said:

I think it was a combination of the OLine and the playcalling. Every time I've seen Trace hand it to Saquon instead of pausing for the option, it's worked out, but they refuse to make that a part of the gameplan.

Am I the only one super happy that Moorehead is gone?

I'm happy for him. I'm not happy that he's gone though. That's idiotic.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, utley4568 said:

I'm happy for him. I'm not happy that he's gone though. That's idiotic.

I don't think so. His playcalling was horrible when it counted and was constantly bailed out by his players just being more talented than the opposition. The HB option should be used a few times a game to throw something different at the defense, not every rushing attempt. It only worked as much as it did because Saquon is the best RB in the country, but our rushing attack could've been so much more even with the questionable OL play. We saw how good he was when he actually got to take a straight hand off without having to pause when he got to Trace.

Now a lot of this is on Franklin too, but the coaching staff lost us the Ohio St and Michigan St games, and probably lost Saquon the Heisman which was all but his.
OSU - Huge lead and we are outscored 19-3 in the 4th quarter because of defense was on the field too much and gassed out. The 3 points we did get, we had it 1st and goal from the 4 with about 6 minutes left and couldn't score. At this point we had a 97% chance of winning the game.
MSU - In horrible weather conditions, Trace passes 47 times and Saquon rushes 14 times.

Playcalling lost us both of those games. Now Moorehead wasn't the worst and it's not all on him, but anyone could call plays and beat up on the weaker teams like we did especially when you play half of your games in Beaver stadium. With a better coaching staff, this team is still undefeated.

1 hour ago, JonStark said:

I don't think so. His playcalling was horrible when it counted and was constantly bailed out by his players just being more talented than the opposition. The HB option should be used a few times a game to throw something different at the defense, not every rushing attempt. It only worked as much as it did because Saquon is the best RB in the country, but our rushing attack could've been so much more even with the questionable OL play. We saw how good he was when he actually got to take a straight hand off without having to pause when he got to Trace.

Now a lot of this is on Franklin too, but the coaching staff lost us the Ohio St and Michigan St games, and probably lost Saquon the Heisman which was all but his.
OSU - Huge lead and we are outscored 19-3 in the 4th quarter because of defense was on the field too much and gassed out. The 3 points we did get, we had it 1st and goal from the 4 with about 6 minutes left and couldn't score. At this point we had a 97% chance of winning the game.
MSU - In horrible weather conditions, Trace passes 47 times and Saquon rushes 14 times.

Playcalling lost us both of those games. Now Moorehead wasn't the worst and it's not all on him, but anyone could call plays and beat up on the weaker teams like we did especially when you play half of your games in Beaver stadium. With a better coaching staff, this team is still undefeated.

Ryan Bates and Ryan Buchholz getting hurt cost us those two games.

His offense was so bad that we were 7th in the country in scoring, and in our two losses we put up 38 and 24. So bad that in the Rose Bowl last year we put up 49 and in the B1G Championship Game we put up 38. Give me a break. This team is and was two years ahead of schedule thanks to Moorhead. Can't wait to see your reaction when we only win nine games this coming year.

And tell me, why shouldn't we use some sort of RPO on every snap? What's the harm? Let me guess, you prefer a fullback and lining up in the Power I every play in 21 or 22 personnel.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, utley4568 said:

Ryan Bates and Ryan Buchholz getting hurt cost us those two games.

His offense was so bad that we were 7th in the country in scoring, and in our two losses we put up 38 and 24. So bad that in the Rose Bowl last year we put up 49 and in the B1G Championship Game we put up 38. Give me a break. This team is and was two years ahead of schedule thanks to Moorhead. Can't wait to see your reaction when we only win nine games this coming year.

And tell me, why shouldn't we use some sort of RPO on every snap? What's the harm? Let me guess, you prefer a fullback and lining up in the Power I every play in 21 or 22 personnel.

You honestly don't think the playcalling in the 4th quarter of the OSU game cost us the win? I'm not sure how that's even a debate.

Again, we faced a cupcake schedule aside of a few games. You can throw out all of the season long stats you want, but 80% of it was against teams we were supposed to demolish. Any kid with a Playstation controller could coach a game against most of those teams and blow them out especially when you have the type of playmakers we have. Yes, we scored 38 vs OSU, but the reason they were able to come back was because of the playcalling on offense allowing them to come back. The defense was tired. Keeping them off the field and winding the clock down would've done it. Find different ways of getting your RB the ball. Counters, power, pitches, screens, anything. Good defenses will pick up one when you run the same play over and over again and they did in this game. Passing it 47 times in the MSU game under those conditions would have been insane even if we didn't have Barkley, but we needed to lean on him that game. If we only win 9 games next year without Barkley, that'll be right about where I have us.

Why not use a RPO on every snap? How about because your stud RB doesn't get any momentum started before he's handed the ball? It has nothing to do with a full back, it's about his movement when he gets the ball in his hands. Coming to almost a complete stop does not help a RB, believe it or not.