The Official Thread of Penn State University

Utley

Here's the roster next year at a glance

QB: Trace McSorely (SR) // Tommy Stevens (RS-JR) // Sean Clifford (SO)
RB: Miles Sanders (JR) // Mark Allen (RS-SR) // Ricky Slade (FR)
WR: Juwan Johnson (RS-JR) // Brandon Polk (SR)
WR: DeAndre Thompkins (RS-SR)
WR: Justin Shorter (FR) 
Other WRs that will see less playing time probably: Jahan Dotson (FR), Daniel George (FR), KJ Hamler (SO), Mac Hippenheimer (SO)
TE: (starter who knows?) Nick Bowers (RS-JR) // Zach Kuntz (FR) // Pat Friermuth (FR)
LT: Will Fries (RS-SO) // Alex Gellerstadt (RS-SO) / Nana Asiedu (FR)
LG: Steven Gonzalez (RS-JR) // Mike Miranda (SO)
C: Connor McGovern (JR) // Frederick Scurggs (FR) //Zach Simpson (RS-JR)
RG: Michael Menet (RS-SO) // Charlie Shuman (RS-SR)
RT: Chazs Wright (RS-SR) // Ryan Bates (RS-JR) 

Depth and the freshman are always hard to project. I'll do the defense later, but we're replacing (4/11) on offense and (7/11 on defense) 
Defense will be... interesting.

Edited by Danger

4 minutes ago, Danger said:

Here's the roster next year at a glance

QB: Trace McSorely (SR) // Tommy Stevens (RS-JR) // Sean Clifford (SO)
RB: Miles Sanders (JR) // Mark Allen (RS-SR) // Ricky Slade (FR)
WR: Juwan Johnson (RS-JR) // Brandon Polk (SR)
WR: DeAndre Thompkins (RS-SR)
WR: Justin Shorter (FR) 
Other WRs that will see less playing time probably: Jahan Dotson (FR), Daniel George (FR), KJ Hamler (SO), Mac Hippenheimer (SO)

Journey Brown and Slade will both be ahead of Allen.

Shorter won't start right away. Expect Johnson and Thompkins on the outside to start with Polk in the slot.

Hamler is a RS FR, so is Clifford, and so is Hippenhammer.

Polk will be a RS Jr, and McSorely a RS SR.

Dotson and George will both redshirt. Cam Sullivan-Brown will see team at WR, assuming he recovers from his torn ACL and doesn't move to safety.

Is it confirmed that Sullivan-Brown tore his ACL? I had heard he missed practice time this year, but didn't know what for.

EDIT: And I've always like him so much more as a safety than a WR.

Edited by BigD88

46 minutes ago, BigD88 said:

Is it confirmed that Sullivan-Brown tore his ACL? I had heard he missed practice time this year, but didn't know what for.

EDIT: And I've always like him so much more as a safety than a WR.

Not publicly, no.

• Like 1

Sad to see Barkley, Marcus Allen and Geleski go - they were fun to watch and really put us back on the map. Also others like Hamilton, 

Wondering if Stevens stays around. I believe (could be wrong) he will have his degree at the end of the spring. He could transfer w/o sitting a year (maybe to go with Moorehead...) I believe. Think the kid has some legit talent and would not blame him one bit.

Rahne called a great game (minus those shovel passes) which was great to see. Gives everyone some confidence going into next year.

3 hours ago, mm6492 said:

Sad to see Barkley, Marcus Allen and Geleski go - they were fun to watch and really put us back on the map. Also others like Hamilton, 

Wondering if Stevens stays around. I believe (could be wrong) he will have his degree at the end of the spring. He could transfer w/o sitting a year (maybe to go with Moorehead...) I believe. Think the kid has some legit talent and would not blame him one bit.

Rahne called a great game (minus those shovel passes) which was great to see. Gives everyone some confidence going into next year.

No reason for him to go to Miss. St. with Fitzgerald coming back

37 minutes ago, utley4568 said:

No reason for him to go to Miss. St. with Fitzgerald coming back

Yea didn't even think of the roster before saying that. But there has to be some team out there with a hole at QB where he could step in and get some time right away. Once again, would love and hope for him to come back. Would not blame him for a milisecond if he left. 

• 2 weeks later...

Satisfied to see that Moorhead's departure had essentially no effect on our offense (or playcalling in particular). He was vastly overvalued and often under-utilized or miscast certain players. Gesicki's leaving Penn State without ever having properly expressed his abilities to the fullest, and Saquon - elite as he is - often was tossed aside in key moments down the stretch of games. All a little frustrating to deal with, but credit him for the positive influence he had in building this foundation.

We will be just fine though.

What do you all expect out of Miles Sanders next year? In his limited time he seems like he has a high potential but hasn't been able to piece it together so far. Obviously he's no SaQuon but what's there to say he can't be special in his own right?

On 1/16/2018 at 4:13 PM, Danger said:

What do you all expect out of Miles Sanders next year? In his limited time he seems like he has a high potential but hasn't been able to piece it together so far. Obviously he's no SaQuon but what's there to say he can't be special in his own right?

I'd like to see the running offense diversify a little next year, but I doubt it. He's not likely to hit nearly as many home runs, but I think we'll all be pleasantly surprised with how reliable Sanders will prove to be. Uber-talent, and considering the depth we have at the position (Slade included), there's little cause for concern.

At the end of the day, Saquon wasn't Saquon... until he was Saquon. Next man up!

Just now, Danger said:

'Bama hiring our WR coach to the same position, that's actually pretty annoying.

Gattis is a huge loss. But we just can't match the money he was offered, and he wasn't overly excited about getting passed over for the OC job.

1 minute ago, utley4568 said:

Gattis is a huge loss. But we just can't match the money he was offered, and he wasn't overly excited about getting passed over for the OC job.

At the very least, Rahne seemed to do well in his role in the Bowl Game against UW

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/19/2018 at 2:27 PM, Danger said:

'Bama hiring our WR coach to the same position, that's actually pretty annoying.

He got passed over for OC role. he took co-OC role @ Bama and gets more money. It is a huge loss but the fact Bama wants our assistants makes it clear that we are doing something right.

But yea, big loss both from coaching and recruiting POV.