GDT 9/8/19 Week 1: 0-0 Baltimore Ravens vs 0-0 Miami Dolphins

DreamKid

All this talk about the Dolphins tanking, I think they should only consider trading away "older" players like Reshad Jones. Several of the young guys they have might miss 2-3 years of their early career, but if the Dolphins turn it around, they will be on their 2. contract when the team is primed for a rise based on their current draft capital as well as free agents as the Browns did it.

3 hours ago, DreamKid said:

I'd like to see McPhee closer to 20 rather than 30 each week. Nothing glaring ATP.

Looks like Wink went with a pretty even split at the second ILB spot between Young (21 snaps), Levine (14 snaps) and Board (13 snaps) - assuming all of Levine's snaps on defense were as a sub ILB. Maybe they even threw in some Chuck Clark for good measure, but it doesn't seem like Kenny Young or Chris Board have really locked that battle down.

4 minutes ago, drd23 said:

The problem with trading Jones is his massive salary ($13m guaranteed base salary) plus the $12m+ dead money cap hit they'd take from his pro-rated signing bonus

Imo should Dolphins care very little about their salary cap if they indeed are in tank mode. Accumulate draft picks into talent like the Browns did, and after 2 years of great roster turnover, you should have a talented QB either as a rookie or as a 1 year starter/backup to a starter and a number of up and coming talents.

Again, this is the extreme way (the Browns way). A team like the Colts did the opposite. They stayed as competitive as they could and got the right coaching staff with a philosophy that could carry over and transcend the talent they had into W's. Once they had the QB (Luck) they where a favorite for a PO spot in their division.

Take a look at the play on the touchdown to Willie Snead. The Dolphins seem to rush 5, but their linebacker #40 mostly stay back and never commit to rush up field towards Lamar. 

I might overthink this, but this could very well be a contain rush where a defense commit a player to spy on Lamar and not fully engage in the pass rush. This helped us block 5 rushers with 5 linemen (but essentially they only had to deal with 4 pass rushers).

That's an element Lamar add to this offense. If that linebacker commits and run up the middle, there is a lot of room for Lamar on the outside with the defense stretched out

1 minute ago, Danand said:

Take a look at the play on the touchdown to Willie Snead. The Dolphins seem to rush 5, but their linebacker #40 mostly stay back and never commit to rush up field towards Lamar. 

I might overthink this, but this could very well be a contain rush where a defense commit a player to spy on Lamar and not fully engage in the pass rush. This helped us block 5 rushers with 5 linemen (but essentially they only had to deal with 4 pass rushers).

That's an element Lamar add to this offense. If that linebacker commits and run up the middle, there is a lot of room for Lamar on the outside with the defense stretched out

Teams are going to full commit to these kinds of techniques all year, and if they play cover 0 or cover 1 behind it we're gonna burn them all day long like Lamar did here by moving the FS then hitting Snead down the seam for an easy TD

39 minutes ago, BleedTheClock said:

But I'm still not sold.

You probably never will be. The man just threw an unreal game, throwing perfect passes on 18/19 attempts and people still can't accept he has a chance at being good.

Edited by M.10.E
  • Like 1

52 minutes ago, BleedTheClock said:

I told people I'd come eat crow if Lamar Jackson tore it up against the Dolphins. Here I am. Never thought he had that performance in him.

But I'm still not sold.

"I'm here because I am obligated to be here, despite still not having changed my mind or even entertained the thought of changing my mind."