GDT 9/8/19 Week 1: 0-0 Baltimore Ravens vs 0-0 Miami Dolphins

DreamKid

43 minutes ago, M.10.E said:

You probably never will be. The man just threw an unreal game, throwing perfect passes on 18/19 attempts and people still can't accept he has a chance at being good.

If he continues to play well I'll concede. I might be staunchly against the idea that he's a good QB, but I'm not stubborn. If he continues to play well (not using last week for a barometer as that's ridiculous), I'll concede with no fight.

But a poster told me if he played well against the Dolphins I wouldn't come in here and admit I was wrong. And I told him I would...but that I'd still wait until he strings together some good passing performances before making a real assessment.

30 minutes ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

"I'm here because I am obligated to be here, despite still not having changed my mind or even entertained the thought of changing my mind."

False. I change my mind on prospects all the time. I felt this way about Russell Wilson after his first successful season. I obviously think he's a beast now. I didn't think Dak Prescott was draftable. He's clearly a very good QB, albeit not elite.

I self-deprecate all the time on the forum. If you guys wanna celebrate Lamar Jackson as a franchise QB after his first elite passing performance in his career against the worst team in the NFL, go ahead. I'll reserve judgment until I see a string of good games against non-tanking teams.

But yeah, I'm admitting I never thought he'd ever do anything like he did yesterday in the NFL regardless of who he was playing. I actually really like(d) Lamar Jackson as a prospect and wanted him to be an elite new character in the NFL. I soured on him late in the draft process because of a wonky throwing motion and some downright awful mechanics resulting in hilariously bad throws. And then those wonky wtf throws popped up in the NFL and I said, "nevermore." I also assumed the Ravens were gonna run him to death and he wouldn't get the reps as a passer to improve enough. It looks like they've changed the way they use him.

I also said that the Ravens would be looking for a new QB in 2020. I highly doubt that after the week 1 performance, but I'm gonna at least wait to see the first 4 games before I anoint him.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, BleedTheClock said:

False. I change my mind on prospects all the time. I felt this way about Russell Wilson after his first successful season. I obviously think he's a beast now. I didn't think Dak Prescott was draftable. He's clearly a very good QB, albeit not elite.

I self-deprecate all the time on the forum. If you guys wanna celebrate Lamar Jackson as a franchise QB after his first elite passing performance in his career against the worst team in the NFL, go ahead. I'll reserve judgment until I see a string of good games against non-tanking teams.

But yeah, I'm admitting I never thought he'd ever do anything like he did yesterday in the NFL regardless of who he was playing. I actually really like(d) Lamar Jackson as a prospect and wanted him to be an elite new character in the NFL. I soured on him late in the draft process because of a wonky throwing motion and some downright awful mechanics resulting in hilariously bad throws. And then those wonky wtf throws popped up in the NFL and I said, "nevermore." I also assumed the Ravens were gonna run him to death and he wouldn't get the reps as a passer to improve enough. It looks like they've changed the way they use him.

I also said that the Ravens would be looking for a new QB in 2020. I highly doubt that after the week 1 performance, but I'm gonna at least wait to see the first 4 games before I anoint him.

I think for the most part, we're all riding on a pretty good high right now after hearing for months how much Lamar has improved as a passer, then seeing glimpses of it during limited preseason work, and then seeing the full thing unleashed yesterday.

Beyond that, I'm not going to speak for anyone else but what I saw yesterday from Lamar PURELY from the aspect of things he can personally control was nothing short of brilliance. Will a better team/defense disrupt that and cause him to make adjustments? Absolutely. We didn't see him scramble at all, largely because there was no pass rush at all and they were contain/spying him almost the full game. What will happen when he faces a zone blitzing team like Pittsburgh or teams that play 2 deep shells all game long? Time will tell, but what we saw yesterday from Lamar was a QB who looked nothing like the rookie he was a mere 9 months ago.

The offense we have now is really just a "take what we can get" offense. We run the ball to setup the deep shots, which everyone saw yesterday. We started the game throwing short and running the ball, then as Miami was forced to adjust, we beat them deep repeatedly.

Regardless, Ravens aren't looking for a new QB in 2020. If this performance is Lamar's ceiling, then I think any franchise in the NFL will take that and work with it. We'll have to see what struggles teams introduce to Lamar this year, but "make him pass from the pocket!", at least from what I saw yesterday, doesn't appear to be the way to beat him.

3 hours ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

Absolutely. We didn't see him scramble at all, largely because there was no pass rush at all and they were contain/spying him almost the full game. What will happen when he faces a zone blitzing team like Pittsburgh or teams that play 2 deep shells all game long?

If teams play their safeties deep, then the Ravens have a numbers advantage in the run game, and Mark Ingram gets 10 yards for free before he bowls over the DBs, or Lamar can  keep it for a free 10+ if the DE crashes on the RB. 

If Lamar is correctly reading the safeties and can hit WRs in stride when the safeties creep up, its pick your poison for defenses. His ability to read defenders and instantly make the right decision appears excellent so far.  

1 hour ago, wackywabbit said:

Anyone else find this^ really surprising after watching the game?

Seeing this the day after is what reminded me that Seth Roberts is on this team.

Also, I have no idea what a Seth Roberts even looks like. 

Hollywood and Boykin were the starters - played the least.

Seth Roberts, a guy who shouldn't have even made the roster, played the most.

I'm not gonna complain because I think he's mostly there for his blocking.

Yeah, Roberts is on the team to block. I wouldn't hold any illusions about his potential in the passing game. Which is fine, the Ravens (finally) have plenty of other options there and his being on the field isn't drastically impacting the rest of them. It would have in seasons prior where the team was struggling to get any meaningful weapons out there. They're good now.