Packers-Bears Week 1 Game Day Thread

Shanedorf

Does anybody find it weird how ignored it is that Fangio is gone?  There's a lot of talk about how great the Bears defense is going to be, totally ignoring that they went from a DC with 19 years of experience as a DC and a top 10 defense by points AND yards in 6 of his last 8 seasons to a guy who has one year as a DC in his career and who's defense got worse every year he was in Indy.  Your coordinator makes a big difference in terms of misdirection and play-calling, which is key to stopping elite QBs.  We have zero proof Pagano can do that, and there should be a lot more media skepticism around the Bears defense until we see otherwise.  And yet, I basically haven't seen it mentioned anywhere.  It's always "the Bears will build on their elite D from last year."  I mean, maybe, but honestly until I see it my guess is that the Bears defense will look markedly worse than they did last year.

• Like 2

Just now, MrBobGray said:

Does anybody find it weird how ignored it is that Fangio is gone? 

Yep.  It's like people didn't witness the drastic changes for us going from Capers to Pettine and they act like losing a coordinator is somehow meaningless for the Bears. 

I'm literally the only one who brings up the loss of Fangio. 

2 minutes ago, MrBobGray said:

Does anybody find it weird how ignored it is that Fangio is gone?  There's a lot of talk about how great the Bears defense is going to be, totally ignoring that they went from a DC with 19 years of experience as a DC and a top 10 defense by points AND yards in 6 of his last 8 seasons to a guy who has one year as a DC in his career and who's defense got worse every year he was in Indy.  Your coordinator makes a big difference in terms of misdirection and play-calling, which is key to stopping elite QBs.  We have zero proof Pagano can do that, and there should be a lot more media skepticism around the Bears defense until we see otherwise.  And yet, I basically haven't seen it mentioned anywhere.  It's always "the Bears will build on their elite D from last year."  I mean, maybe, but honestly until I see it my guess is that the Bears defense will look markedly worse than they did last year.

FWIW, NFLN has brought it up a half dozen times or so today.

Edited by Norm

3 minutes ago, Norm said:

FWIW, NFLN has brought it up a half dozen times or so today.

Maybe it's just on me and where I've been reading about football lately then, I dunno.  Just seems like this should be really the biggest story surrounding the Bears this off-season, instead of a note way down the list.  The kicker battle gets brought up all the time, but that's minor compared to the coordinator change.  I understand why that's getting all the press, it's fairly hilarious, but just think a lot of Bears fans may be in for a rude awakening tonight.  Fangio is one of the three best DCs in football IMO and the drop to Pagano is more like a cliff.

7 minutes ago, MrBobGray said:

Maybe it's just on me and where I've been reading about football lately then, I dunno.  Just seems like this should be really the biggest story surrounding the Bears this off-season, instead of a note way down the list.  The kicker battle gets brought up all the time, but that's minor compared to the coordinator change.  I understand why that's getting all the press, it's fairly hilarious, but just think a lot of Bears fans may be in for a rude awakening tonight.  Fangio is one of the three best DCs in football IMO and the drop to Pagano is more like a cliff.

I think its offset by the amount of talent actually on that defense and the fact that we also have a new HC/playcaller on offense. Its more of a wash at this point.