Packers-Bears Week 1 Game Day Thread

Shanedorf

16 minutes ago, MrBobGray said:

Does anybody find it weird how ignored it is that Fangio is gone?  There's a lot of talk about how great the Bears defense is going to be, totally ignoring that they went from a DC with 19 years of experience as a DC and a top 10 defense by points AND yards in 6 of his last 8 seasons to a guy who has one year as a DC in his career and who's defense got worse every year he was in Indy.  Your coordinator makes a big difference in terms of misdirection and play-calling, which is key to stopping elite QBs.  We have zero proof Pagano can do that, and there should be a lot more media skepticism around the Bears defense until we see otherwise.  And yet, I basically haven't seen it mentioned anywhere.  It's always "the Bears will build on their elite D from last year."  I mean, maybe, but honestly until I see it my guess is that the Bears defense will look markedly worse than they did last year.

They still have the horses though.  They lost Amos and got HaHa, and I don't remember the 3rd CB, but that is probably close to a wash talent wise as well.  The Bears defensive line is going to be a problem for everyone, even if I coached them.

• Like 1

Just now, ThatJerkDave said:

They still have the horses though.  They lost Amos and got HaHa, and I don't remember the 3rd CB, but that is probably close to a wash talent wise as well.  The Bears defensive line is going to be a problem for everyone, even if I coached them.

They swapped Bryce Callahan for Buster Skrine at CB3. Probably an upgrade to be honest. I see Amos to HaHa as the only negative from their defense from last year, and its not by much.

4 minutes ago, Cheesehawk said:

They swapped Bryce Callahan for Buster Skrine at CB3. Probably an upgrade to be honest. I see Amos to HaHa as the only negative from their defense from last year, and its not by much.

I still think HaHa has the potential to be better than Amos. Amos is a lot more assignment sure than the HaHa we had for the last few seasons, and definitely better that that version of HaHa.  Top level HaHa IMO is still better, we just haven't seen him in 3? years.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, MrBobGray said:

Does anybody find it weird how ignored it is that Fangio is gone?  There's a lot of talk about how great the Bears defense is going to be, totally ignoring that they went from a DC with 19 years of experience as a DC and a top 10 defense by points AND yards in 6 of his last 8 seasons to a guy who has one year as a DC in his career and who's defense got worse every year he was in Indy.  Your coordinator makes a big difference in terms of misdirection and play-calling, which is key to stopping elite QBs.  We have zero proof Pagano can do that, and there should be a lot more media skepticism around the Bears defense until we see otherwise.  And yet, I basically haven't seen it mentioned anywhere.  It's always "the Bears will build on their elite D from last year."  I mean, maybe, but honestly until I see it my guess is that the Bears defense will look markedly worse than they did last year.

The reason I'm waiting before making a big deal about it is because the Bears personnel, especially up front, could transcend a lot of what otherwise should be a big difference in coaches. If Mack and Hicks, etc. are living in the back field every other play, it may not matter who is calling the defense at that point. Constant pressure on the QB covers up a ton especially if you have competent skilled players on the back-end, which the Bears do. 

6 minutes ago, ThatJerkDave said:

I still think HaHa has the potential to be better than Amos. Amos is a lot more assignment sure than the HaHa we had for the last few seasons, and definitely better that that version of HaHa.  Top level HaHa IMO is still better, we just haven't seen him in 3? years.

I agree. If HaHa gets motivated he will be the better player.

I just want Amos to get a pick tonight so that all the Bear fans saying he won't get turnovers can melt down.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Cheesehawk said:

Skrine allowed a passer rating of 113.3 last season. Callahan allowed a passer rating of 80.

Skrine gave up 314 yards after the catch last year. Callahan gave up 319 yards total last year.

Definitely not an upgrade.

Edited by wgbeethree
  • Like 3

10 minutes ago, ThatJerkDave said:

I think HaHa might end up being the better box score player, but never a better players in terms of fundamentals. HaHa is and always has been a very lousy tackler. He's also out of position a lot. I don't think his instincts were ever top notch for a safety. That being said, he might have 6 picks this year with 3 or 4 of them being thrown to him because Mack is about to bury the QB. HaHa should definitely benefit from this Bears front, and it could cover up for at least some of his flaws. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

I think HaHa might end up being the better box score player, but never a better players in terms of fundamentals. HaHa is and always has been a very lousy tackler. He's also out of position a lot. I don't think his instincts were ever top notch for a safety. That being said, he might have 6 picks this year with 3 or 4 of them being thrown to him because Mack is about to bury the QB. HaHa should definitely benefit from this Bears front, and it could cover up for at least some of his flaws. 

This. I fully expect Ha Ha to play look MUCH better surrounded by top-tier talent, and I'm bracing myself for the legions of fans saying we should never have let him go.

Edited by Lodestar

Just now, Lodestar said:

This. I fully expect Ha Ha to play MUCH better surrounded by top-tier talent, and I'm bracing myself for the legions of fans saying we should never have let him go.

HaHa will play better or be better protected from looking bad if they run mostly 2 high stuff. If they think they are going to put him in the box or in the slot, I just don't see it. The fit with Jackson is less than ideal. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

I think it could go the other way.

Those defenders on Chicago are consummate professionals.  They play a certain way with swagger and attitude.  They appear to have each other's backs.

Along comes HHCD.  What happens when he blows an assignment?  Takes a few poor angles?  Whiff's on a sure tackles?  I mean, what happens if the HHCD of the past two years shows up?  The guy that GB gave up on and received a fourth round pick from Washington, who in return decided to not offer HHCD a contract when the season was over.  I mean it, how badly do you have to play and how bad of a locker room personality are you to not get a contract offer after a team gives up a 4'th round pick to acquire you?

Yah, that guy shows up and I don't doubt that the Bears defenders go to the coach to either have him benched or removed from the team.  I don't think guy like Mack, Trevathan, Fuller and Jackson are going to put up with the "bad" HHCD that we saw and that Washington saw.