Week 1 Colts @ Chargers

Leoric

Hard to see why Jatavis made the roster and yet here it is week 1 and he’s already not practicing and on the injury report. Rochell practicing is a pleasant surprise. Not that he is a huge impact player but he does allow us to get some breathing time in for our Defensive linemen. Perryman didn't practice but hopefully will be fine come Sunday.

Colts will be starting their brand new QB versus the scariest pass rush tandem in the league. Hoping Bosa/Ingram welcome him to starter life. 

Anxious to see how Rivers compensates for his line. Hopefully Lynn will setup the screens, draws and counters early on because I have no confidence in our edge pass protection, and I’m not betting on the interior pocket. 

No Derwin for us but if preseason was any indicator, the Jack Boys attitude will still be there and I expect them to pull together. Linebackers with Thomas Davis and Nwosu look a lot stronger this year. Even without Derwin this defense has me feeling good.

Hunter is back on offense and Benjamin despite being garbage as a #2 is a decent third option. Williams and Allen are a top notch tandem, if the line can give Rivers a three step drop.  I’m not concerned with the running game tbh. I like Jackson more then Gordon on the inside runs. He doesn’t have the same speed or receiving ability as Gordon. He doesn’t have the same size as Gordon. Short yardage/goal line is a concern until I see him do it. Maybe Pope is that short yardage back?

Prediction 17-13 Chargers start the season 1-0

Edited by Boltstrikes

On 9/5/2019 at 10:45 PM, kyle21121 said:

I’m very afraid we may sleep walk to begin this game. Gotta come out strong. 

I don't expect you guys to cover the spread.  The fact that Money Badger may miss the game due to a late onset groin injury and Ty Long may be pulling double-duty pretty much solidified that for me.

40 minutes ago, The LBC said:

I don't expect you guys to cover the spread.  The fact that Money Badger may miss the game due to a late onset groin injury and Ty Long may be pulling double-duty pretty much solidified that for me.

Better than Kaiser though. 

Im not naive to this this is certainly a game the chargers should win I’m not gonna be absolutely floored if they don’t. The chargers seemingly deal with a million different things every year and usually seem to lose the opening game. Everyone seems to be 100% in on the colts some as a team of destiny if you will and others just this game to cover. It’s certainly enticing for multiple reasons. I just don’t trust Brissett at all there is a world where the chargers win big. We shall see if it’s this one or not. 

Nice to escape that game with a win. Knee jerk hot takes below.

• Trent Scott makes Sam Tevi look average. This is not a compliment. Our tackles are horrendous.
  • Run defense... it was a problem last year, was hoping we did enough to not get gashed like we did today. Colts aren't a strong running team and we made them look like one.
  • Keenan is a top tier #1 WR and is one of the most underrated guys in the NFL. Probably not on many peoples top ten WR list but he deserves to be.
  • Ekelor did amazing. I thought the split would favor Jackson more but Ekelor got 20+ touches. I wonder if this is the plan going forward or a week to week thing. I don't know how effective he will be come December time if we give him that many touches.
  • Bosa/Ingram still doing what they do. Hard for an offense to gameplan around them.
  • Like 3

Not sure what concerns me more, the offensive tackles or the defensive tackles. Can’t imagine winning games against elite teams with this line play.  I have some hope for the defensive line as Tillery and Broughton come along, but our tackles wouldn’t be first string on LSU.  If the Eagles had any real interest in Gordon, Telesco should ask for one of the Tackles (Vaitai? Can’t remember  that guy’s name) and a pick. I know it’s not  the value we’d want but we could upgrade our tackle position and possibly solidify it when/if Okung returns.