Other Games/Teams Thread

TitanLegend

4 minutes ago, titans0021 said:

And to go with the above, it’s why I wouldn’t have traded a first if I was Pittsburgh. Unless they have flexibility with their system (which they haven’t shown), it’s asking a lot for Rudolph to immediately produce.

Their defense I think has caused 3 takeaways. But their offense is do do. 

18 minutes ago, titans0021 said:

It’s been a long time since a young QB has come in and had success in the kind of pure traditional offense that we’ve run for the last four years. It just gives you tougher reads and smaller windows.

Just working off of this, genuinely curious how far back you have to go on this. Mayfield started producing once they spread it out, Mahomes, Wentz, Goff are all obviously heavy on spread concepts, Lamar is spread, Watson is spread. Maybe Dak? Though he looks significantly better in a modern offense. You start pushing further back and you have Cam and Kaep in spread. RGIII. Russell Wilson definitely had a lot of traditional concepts early in his career. Maybe Luck? Is Luck the answer?

34 minutes ago, TitanSS said:

I would disagree with WRs not getting open. I think we've had the most open WRs that I've seen since Mariota has been here. OL just doesn't hold up and Mariota is missing a lot and/or holding on to the ball. I don't really care for the offense, but guys have been getting open.

Not saying that guys aren’t getting open (although Glennon’s Athletic article documented that Davis/Hump/Brown have all struggled to gain separation). All I’m saying is that we don’t scheme guys open easily or often enough on passing plays. 90% of our pass plays are laborious and slow developing. Never is it: three step drop for Marcus and the ball is out to AJ for an easy 7 yards. Those rhythm and timing throws just aren’t called often enough. And they’re throws that literally everyone worth a turd can make

9 minutes ago, titans0021 said:

Just working off of this, genuinely curious how far back you have to go on this. Mayfield started producing once they spread it out, Mahomes, Wentz, Goff are all obviously heavy on spread concepts, Lamar is spread, Watson is spread. Maybe Dak? Though he looks significantly better in a modern offense. You start pushing further back and you have Cam and Kaep in spread. RGIII. Russell Wilson definitely had a lot of traditional concepts early in his career. Maybe Luck? Is Luck the answer?

From what my Eagles fan friend has told me the Eagles run a lot of 2 TE. Even before drafting Godert.

I'm not defending our offense in any way, I hate it,  just that I don't believe the Eagles are a spread out offense.

1 hour ago, deeluxx3 said:

Not saying that guys aren’t getting open (although Glennon’s Athletic article documented that Davis/Hump/Brown have all struggled to gain separation). All I’m saying is that we don’t scheme guys open easily or often enough on passing plays. 90% of our pass plays are laborious and slow developing. Never is it: three step drop for Marcus and the ball is out to AJ for an easy 7 yards. Those rhythm and timing throws just aren’t called often enough. And they’re throws that literally everyone worth a turd can make

I've heard or read this for as long as he's been in the league, and definitely for as long as I've been on this forum. And yet for as long as he's been in the league, I have seen him throw high on slants, on screens, making it harder than it should be for his receivers to pull in the football and be in a position to gain YAC, and have very little anticipation in his throws. And yet some of you still think we broke him, and not the other way around. I'm amazed.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, TitanSS said:

From what my Eagles fan friend has told me the Eagles run a lot of 2 TE. Even before drafting Godert.

I'm not defending our offense in any way, I hate it,  just that I don't believe the Eagles are a spread out offense.

I think one thing that I’ve definitely been guilty of in the past is just using “ two tight end set” as a blanket term. There are times where we run two tight ends, but Delanie is lined up in the slot essentially as another WR. I’ve definitely seen the Eagles do that with Ertz and a lot more with Goedert. I think you can still spread things out and run two tight end sets with spread concepts. What we’ve been doing an insane amount of this year are formations with either two extra in-line blockers, or sets with Jonnu on the line and Pruitt at FB. 

8 minutes ago, titans0021 said:

I think one thing that I’ve definitely been guilty of in the past is just using “ two tight end set” as a blanket term. There are times where we run two tight ends, but Delanie is lined up in the slot essentially as another WR. I’ve definitely seen the Eagles do that with Ertz and a lot more with Goedert. I think you can still spread things out and run two tight end sets with spread concepts. What we’ve been doing an insane amount of this year are formations with either two extra in-line blockers, or sets with Jonnu on the line and Pruitt at FB. 

And we run a lot of 3 TE too. I'm not sure why we're so behind the times.

I'm not against running 12, 21, and 11 personnel, but 13 I can't really get behind. Even in 11 personnel we bunch together, something we've done since the Mularkey days, which is why I wondered if they see something in practice that makes them think he needs that.

5 hours ago, KingTitan said:

Thinking about offensive systems. I think about how things are in college. 

Teams spread it out and all this because it gives teams best chance to win. You don't have to have the most talented offensive line. You can recruit speed. 

You can be Colorado State and score 38 points a game and be in it when your talent says you shouldn't. 

I love the offense Texas has been running with Ehlinger. Pistol with 11 personnel the majority of the time. They let him make that read, hand off/pass/qb keeper. It's exactly the kind of offense Mariota would thrive in. If that really too much to ask for? 

5 hours ago, -Hope- said:

did you even read what i wrote

”there are plenty of problems with our offense.” i listed several. i am well aware that many of them are not attributable to marcus. i’m specifically taking issue with the complaint that we don’t scheme receivers open because it’s demonstrably, obviously false, despite whatever fixation with pick plays that you have. there are plenty of other ways to get guys open and we utilize many of them, just like most teams do. if you want to criticize our personnel usage, formations, situational playcalling, etc be my guest. those things look pretty bad right now. but this idea that we don’t scheme receivers open is entirely false and such a tired trope at this point.

In this knee jerk reaction play by play dissection, it's easy to put videos up of WRs running open. But without understanding what the call was, what the coverage was, what the read was... It's useless. 

Add to that how horrendous our line has been... How many unblocked rushers... Or just how quickly opponents beat our guys... It magnifies the misses everyone gets up in arms about. What good does a wide open wr do us when there's multiple guys who've flushed or are all over out qb? 

• Like 1