Week 1: Kansas City Chiefs @ Jacksonville Jaguars - Revenge Game? UPDATE: oh honey, no

Adrenaline_Flux

Just now, .Buzz said:

Not sure how he's wrong.

Brand new year and that defense is largely completely different.

Bright spots: OL looked good for the most part. Minshew impressed in a non-ideal spot. Front 4 got after Mahomes. Chark 👀👀

Negatives: Everything else.

Yep. I'm interested to see if the offense can build on itself next week and if the defense can turn things around or if we're in for a long, noisy year.

Texans next Sunday and Titans three days after that. We should have a better idea after those two games if there is any hope or if this year is already over.

16 minutes ago, Adrenaline_Flux said:

Yep. I'm interested to see if the offense can build on itself next week and if the defense can turn things around or if we're in for a long, noisy year.

Texans next Sunday and Titans three days after that. We should have a better idea after those two games if there is any hope or if this year is already over.

I don't feel good watching the D.

Richardson largely shut down Clark. Didn't notice him really at all. Taylor had a couple of holds but besides that he looked terrific too. Receivers looked solid.

Really all hinges on Minshew being competent. Looked good today...but Foles is gonna be out a couple months.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Jrvegeeta said:

At least on this board, people are not shouting that the season is already over and that we have a terrible defense. The “fans” on the Jags message board are already saying all that and will not give Minshew a chance at all. 

Too early for that, but truthfully it's hard to feel very optimistic.

Defense looked awful besides Yann/Allen. Busts all over. Chiefs we're without Tyreek and Mahomes was hurt for half the game and we still couldn't stop anything. 

• Like 1

I don't even care that we lost, we were probably going to lose regardless. Certainly concerned about the D's actual play, and certainly concerned to be rolling with a mid-round rookie at QB, but my bigger issue is just the after the play BS from the defense. Acting like thugs makes them also just hard to root for. It's one thing to have personality, it's another to act genuinely childish. Today they absolutely embarrassed themselves. I've seen plenty of losing seasons from this team, and I've endured. I've seen plenty of terrible QB play from this team, and I've endured. But I really don't have much interest in watching a losing season that includes our guys being horribly undisciplined and childish. The coaches seriously need to get these guys in check

Isn't that why we brought Coughlin in?

Obviously losing our starting QB is the biggest concern to take away from that game - even if Minshew did play pretty admirably well coming in cold like that as a rookie no less.

But the defensive play as a unit is also really worrying.  Hard to say with a lot of certainty, because the Chiefs Offense can obviously make a lot of defenses look bad...but man, that did not assuage my concerns about the secondary coming unglued without Gipson back there.  The LBers didn't look good either, and Jack is an idiot i guess.  The whole defense just looked kinda lost, far too much of the game - some weak links really making the whole thing look hapless as a unit.

If we're going to stand any chance of doing anything worthwhile this season...we need that defense to be an elite unit.  They looked nothing of the sort.

11 hours ago, Tugboat said:

Obviously losing our starting QB is the biggest concern to take away from that game - even if Minshew did play pretty admirably well coming in cold like that as a rookie no less.

But the defensive play as a unit is also really worrying.  Hard to say with a lot of certainty, because the Chiefs Offense can obviously make a lot of defenses look bad...but man, that did not assuage my concerns about the secondary coming unglued without Gipson back there.  The LBers didn't look good either, and Jack is an idiot i guess.  The whole defense just looked kinda lost, far too much of the game - some weak links really making the whole thing look hapless as a unit.

If we're going to stand any chance of doing anything worthwhile this season...we need that defense to be an elite unit.  They looked nothing of the sort.

That defense almost always gets outschemed by great offensive coaches...a testament to how bad Wash is IMO. Undisciplined and blown coverages...those have been a constant for this defense since he took over.

They will be better against some lesser offenses (not Watson who will carve us, or Tennessee who seem to always physically dominate us). But that 2017 is a mirage, especially as the vets who helped that unit have regressed or are gone.