Trubisky Not The Answer, Now What?

dafreak

18 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

One loss to GB and there's this thread?

Tell yah what, GB showed a defense that no one expected.  There was no "book" on it.  And it had a former Bear in the secondary who called out the play that ended in a pick.

I'm a Packer fan, but I do follow the Bears.  I don't think that Mitch is anywhere near as good as Mahomes or Watson, but he's gonna win you games.  You just didn't get this last one.

I'd put it on Nagy as much as Trubisky.  

I think it's gonna get a lot better for you real quick.  

Agree. It was apparent Mitch was toast about 10 throws in. It's not like they were down by 3 TD's and couldn't afford to run. They could have but didn't. That's on Nagy

And yes, Chicago fans of any sport are generally stupid. Expect kneejerk threads like this OFTEN

47 minutes ago, Nads786 said:

I'm so utterly disappointing in Mitch. Reading Tramon's quote about making him play quarterback reminds me of Charle's Woodson's on Cutler. I think we have the same exact problem, a player who cannot consistently read the field and find the open man. I don't think Nagy helped him nor the Oline, however, this is a player we cannot rely on to win us games consistently.

He actually reminds me of Dak Prescott in so many ways. A player that needs a monster run game and a good defense to win. I think there is some "hope" in that, we can pay him a bit less and still hopefully have a shot at winning. But the feeling of perennial playoff births is now out of the question. 

Very disappointing and disheartening.  If Pace/Nagy want to bail on him at the end of the season I would have no problem with that either. It's OK to make a mistake if you move on from it quickly. I think Nagy/Pace have done such a good job overall that one mistake should not cost them their jobs. 

Then Trubisky is better because he's never had a great run game.

Edited by beardown3231

20 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

One loss to GB and there's this thread?

Tell yah what, GB showed a defense that no one expected.  There was no "book" on it.  And it had a former Bear in the secondary who called out the play that ended in a pick.

I'm a Packer fan, but I do follow the Bears.  I don't think that Mitch is anywhere near as good as Mahomes or Watson, but he's gonna win you games.  You just didn't get this last one.

I'd put it on Nagy as much as Trubisky.  

I think it's gonna get a lot better for you real quick.  

A loss to GB here and half the sub-forum goes on suicide watch. You get used to it. 

Nagy has been a great HC, but a **** playcaller. He has a solid but short history of not being able to adjust on the fly and trying to be cute with his playcalls.

I honestly wanted DeFilippo as my first option, but was happy with Nagy due to his time playcalling and being from the Reid tree. Nagy is pretty well looking like a better leader, but I guarantee Mitch progresses faster and we put up more than 3 points last night with him calling the plays. I was scared he'd be too pass happy compafed to Nagy, but well... you saw yesterday. 

Edited by Sugashane

6 minutes ago, Sugashane said:

A loss to GB here and half the sub-forum goes on suicide watch. You get used to it. 

No one is on suicide watch.

I think everyone, although some won't admit it, are concerned about our QB showing next to no progress and our coach of the year having a nationally televised brain cramp.

12 minutes ago, Nads786 said:

We've seen a lot of QB's with potential fizzle out and I think that's where our perspective is coming from. You can always see it early on.  It's always the same build in excuses, need to learn the offense, it's the Oline's fault, the WRs aren't open. Let's say the Packers Defense is much better and is now top 10, that still doesn't excuse what we saw on the field.

--Thanks for clarifying.  That makes sense.  But.....regarding Rodgers and our defense....see below....

If we look at Rogers last night - new offense, new coach, playing against a top defense. Did he look the best no? But he made plays that we have seen him make. You can put him on any team and he'll be good. 

--In camp, our offense stunk.  Couldn't beat the first team defense...like at all during camp.  It was frustrating Rodgers.  If that was going to be the "real" defense, it was going to frustrate Nagy/Trubisky, too.  As far as Rodgers goes last night...he wasn't good.  He was poor.  He just made a couple key throws, one of which was a total "trust" throw to a former basketball player who simply got the lob pass into the post.  It wasn't even a rebound, but a box out to gain position.  And...the bomb?  It was setup by running the ball.  Nagy should take note of that.

I do think Mitch will look better and he'll be solid for the year, but we aren't winning a SB with him at the helm unless everything falls in place for us. I think that's whats most disappointing for Bears fans. 

--I'll agree that Mitch is not a high end QB.  But...with that defense, I feel like he can win the Big Game.  Because that defense can crush the will of an offense and MItch's feet can be pesky enough to keep drives alive.  Look.  It was a slugfest last night and the difference was Rodgers making a couple throws that Mitch didn't.  I swear, it's gonna get better for you, and it's gonna get better really, really fast.  And I'd say, enjoy your seasoned QB who is still on his rookie deal.  Things get a lot tougher when you pay your QB.

12 minutes ago, Sugashane said:

Nagy has been a great HC, but a **** playcaller. He has a solid but short history of not being able to adjust on the fly and trying to be cute with his playcalls.

I honestly wanted DeFilippo as my first option, but was happy with Nagy due to his time playcalling and being from the Reid tree. Nagy is pretty well looking like a better leader, but I guarantee Mitch progresses faster and we put up more than 3 points last night with him calling the plays. I was scared he'd be too pass happy compafed to Nagy, but well... you saw yesterday. 

I honestly felt like GB should hand the ball off 3 times, punt, flip the field and play defense as I thought a pick 6 was coming our way.

The more Mitch threw, the more we started breaking on the ball.

I think the difference is that there was now a "book" on the Chicago offense and Amos knew a lot of the concepts coming our way.

Once Chicago abandoned the run, I began to feel better about the game.

The odd thing during the game from my perspective?  GB special teams.  In the past we've tried to get cute with returners.  On a kickoff, kick it high and to the 5, only to watch lane discipline disappear and boom, there goes a huge return.  Or we kick it to 3 yards inside the zone, only to see lane discipline disappear again and boom, there goes a big return.

Punting...kick it high and to a corner.  Boom, there goes a low one to the corner and a huge return.  It was the same BS every year.

Last night we kicked off through the end zone.  Forget even messing with Patterson.

And on punts?  Yah we pooched enough, but when it was for real and the chips were down....boom it as far as you can.  And it worked.  It was odd for us to see.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, topwop1 said:

Hmm funny Jay seemed to have the same problem too while he was here.  In order to be a successful athlete in Chicago you have to be able to handle the pressure.

Spot on. If you can't handle the pressure of a season opener, what are you going to do in the playoffs?

28 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

No one is on suicide watch.

I think everyone, although some won't admit it, are concerned about our QB showing next to no progress and our coach of the year having a nationally televised brain cramp.

Right. Saying the season was done with, that they won't watch the rest of the season or something similar, that Tru, Nagy, and Pace were already in short leashes, etc is very logical and not knee-jerk reactions at all. Hell one poster was literally seeming to root against Tru to get at another poster. 

Being disappointed in Tru and Nagy is fine, they deserve a lot of flak, as does every WR not name Robinson. The OL has been touted and they got punched in the mouth and never responded. 

Tru hasn't developed to the point he should have, and Nagy might not be a guy who can actually develop a QB. Those are absolutely legitimate concerns that need answered. 

1 minute ago, Sugashane said:

Right. Saying the season was done with, that they won't watch the rest of the season or something similar, that Tru, Nagy, and Pace were already in short leashes, etc is very logical and not knee-jerk reactions at all. Hell one poster was literally seeming to root against Tru to get at another poster. 

Being disappointed in Tru and Nagy is fine, they deserve a lot of flak, as does every WR not name Robinson. The OL has been touted and they got punched in the mouth and never responded. 

Tru hasn't developed to the point he should have, and Nagy might not be a guy who can actually develop a QB. Those are absolutely legitimate concerns that need answered. 

Agreed, the season is not over. The offense will probably look better.

But you have to be concerned by the ceiling of the offense and the QB.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

Agreed, the season is not over. The offense will probably look better.

But you have to be concerned by the ceiling of the offense and the QB.

That is the spot on take, if That was what people would have been saying last night I'd have been on complete agreement, including Nagy's ability to be a playcaller. 

• Like 1

The bigger problem is that Trubisky has not shown any trait that makes you think he's more than an average QB at best. He's a decidedly average talent who has more issues with consistency and decision-making than other guys from his draft class.

Nobody is reaching conclusions on Mitch after 1 game. He played this way for most of last season. People are upset because the Bears built up a preseason hype train around Mitch's improvement and when we got into a game we saw the same issues.

At this point in his career, the Bears should be able to hand the ball to Mitch when things aren't going well and say, "Get us some points." That's what Rodgers did last night. It's what franchise QBs do.

• Like 4