GDT 2 post game thread - theories & rants

malagabears

OK, we all know the outcome, it was butt ugly and we booed and pinned the loss and effort on Trub, Nagy, and the O,

But now is the time to either rant or ask why and come up with theories.

According to the article below Nagy simply gets too cute and has made the RPO part of the O too complex for Mitch. Or is it that he cannot and possibly will never be more than a 1 read QB_

You decide and give your opinion. I think by now he should have been way more prepared and experienced with the RPO´s and audiballing. But man he was a "Deer in the headlights" way too much for me.

https://www.sportingnews.com/us/nfl/news/mitchell-trubiskys-troubles-wont-go-away-until-bears-stop-getting-cute/7qpprr1878xo103j3akg5o1rd

Trubisky's struggles in an ineffective performance (26-of-45 passing, 228 yards, one interception, five sacks, 62.1 passer rating) gave rise to more hot takes that he will never be as good as the two quarterbacks taken behind him in the first round of the 2017 NFL Draft — the Chiefs' Patrick Mahomes and the Texans' Deshaun Watson.

That may forever be the case, but as a third-year pro coming off strong work as a sophomore, he should be, and needs to be, a lot better than what he showed Thursday for the Bears to return to the playoffs — or else the defense's continued domination will prove to be futile.

Trubisky missed plenty of throws against the Packers' pressure and coverages. He looked skittish and couldn't use his athleticism to bail him out. Let's hope the Bears learned what his biggest problem was — their offense has gotten too complicated to support him;  it just needs to be complementary.

We aren't calling for them to stop with those newfangled RPOs, because, well, those options help make him effective as a runner and passer. Rather, we're calling for Nagy to stop getting cute with personnel usage that's too diversified.

The Bears' offensive success was misleading last season. They were No. 9 in scoring at 26.3 points per game despite being No. 21 in passing and No. 22 in total yardage. Their defense produced 36 takeaways and 36 of those points. They finished No. 11 in rushing because Trubisky added 421 yards to the total. They ended up with 24 giveaways, the eighth-highest total in the league.

So the thinking might have been, based on Trubisky's highly aided efficiency and big games against weak defenses, to trust him more to spread the ball around. But as we saw in the opener, that's not a very good plan.

Simply, he's not capable of processing all of that like Mahomes can, and he isn't as independent as Watson is in meshing the scrambling with deep-ball throwing.

Edited by malagabears
  • Like 1

1. Nagy needs to call a much better game than that BS he called last night.

2. Nagy needs to let Mitch sink or swim. Let the kid throw the ball down field more than just with 5 minutes left in the fourth quarter 

3. Gotta give props to the packers. They brought the heat and covered our guys well

4. It’s game 1. Plenty of ball left

edit: oh yea, the Packers get away with Sooooo much holding. I hate them.

Edited by malak1
  • Like 2

Some Thoughts

-Matt Nagy was horrendous last night. He got way too cute, did not run the ball, called stupid plays in key situations, and failed to really effectively get the offense in any type of rythem. Super disappointing for the coach of the year to have this performance on the national stage in that environment.

-Mitch Trubisky sucked. He looked as lost as he did at time last season. Staring down 12, over throws and poor mechanics, horrendous decisions, and generally looking incompetent. For 9 months we heard about the progression and the jump. Going to 202, liking where he is at, the growth in the playbook, then the lights came on and he looked like garbage. Whether you think he will bounce back or not I understand both side, but I think it is pretty clear that he is not going to be the top 10 QB that we had hoped for when he was the 2nd pick in the draft. A month ago we were talking about MVP odds and 1 week ago we were talking about extensions.

-Mike Davis looks like a nice solid player. He should not be featured more than David Montgomery.

-David Montgomery touched the ball and really good things happened. Then David Montgomery did not touch the ball anymore. Inexcusable mismanagement of personnel and the running game. This is a trend for Nagy.

-Tarik Cohen 0 carries. The most dangerous part of his game is that you do not know what position he is going to play, but Nagy made him only a receiver and refused to run against 6 DBs. Again, egregious mismanagement of personnel and the running game.

-Allen Robinson is a stud, throw the ball deep to him more and stop being scared.

-Anthony Miller 1 target, not good enough, and shockingly it was overthrown.

-Taylor Gabriel needs to to be involved earlier if you want to keep Robinson from getting double teamed.

-Guy gets new toy, guy over used new toy, new toy does nothing productive, the Cordarelle Patterson story.

-Shaheen, still useless.

-Leno had a rough night with the penalties, for the most part I thought his pass pro was okay outside of the crippling penalties.

-Whitehair had some moments where he looked lost at OG, maybe some preseason reps at the new position would not have hurt. Missing on stunts cannot happen.

-Daniels was bad. Kenny Clark is a good player, but he took Daniels lunch money over and over again.

-I will comment on the right side when I re-watch the game. I was watching the leftside more.

-Khalil Mack is held a ton and still influences the game to a degree that I have not seen an individual player do in my time watching the Bears. Many of the Bears sacks start with a Mack disruption.

-This version of Leonard Floyd is terrifying. He was fast, physical, used his length, and consistently walked back the OTs. I did not see the speed and then dancing we have seen in the past. His bull rush sack on Bakitiahri had me out of my seat.

-Aaron Lynch is fat, but he had a couple of nice rushes and run plays.

-Isaiah Irving is simply holding a jersey up. He is defensively useless.

-Eddie Goldman, grown man. Bilal Nichols, grown man. Akiem Hicks, grown man.

-RRH is a guy I have been high on and wanted to try and extend while we have his ERFA rights. He is too long, strong and quick for many interior players to deal with. His first sack where he long arm bull rushed Lindsley to the ground, drew a holding call and still sacked Rodgers was as disrespectful a pass rush as you will ever see. Consistently overwhelmed the Packers interior. 6'7" is a unique height inside and OGs don't have the length to deal with it.

-Roquan is a monster. His ability to come through the line clean and make the TFL was impressive.

-Trevathan is a nice compliment to Roquan because he can stand up and OG and do some of the physical dirty work that will keep Roquan clean.

-Kyle Fuller plays a little too far off in my world, but he is so good coming hard at the ball or making the tackle. I thought he played really well and the catches he gave up looked like they were mostly in front of him in zone.

-Did not see as much of Eddie Jackson as I would have liked, but I need to go back and watch more of the secondary.
  • Like 1

Questions:

Is Nagy really that good of an offensive mind?  We were promised the Andy Reid offense and so far two years in we are not seeing the results that were expected.  Reid also seems to run the ball a lot more than Nagy tends to...what gives?

Is having a former QB as head coach a detriment?

Will Nagy be smart enough to self scout and realize how he has hurt the team and more importantly Mitch at times with his poor play calling?

Will Nagy adjust to a more balanced attack going forward?  The brand of offensive football we saw last night is NCAA DIV III worthy.

Is Nagy the next Marc Trestman?

Edited by topwop1
  • Like 1

Lets start with positive since no wants to hear any positives and I get it.  Last night was crushing disappointment. 

• -Our defense did not regress as was the thought.  That was a flat out dominate performance.  GB defense was simply more dominant.
  • Buster Skrine who was thought to be weakness played very well.
  • Allen Robinson was very good.
  • RRH played his best game ever by far.  
  • Pinieiro was offensive MVP.  

Negative:

• O line was horrible.  Penalties killed us.
  • Mitch was horrible.
  • Play calling was horrible.
  • Everyone save Allen Robinson and Montgomery laid an egg.  EVERY ONE!!!!! (from The Professional).

Excuses so you don't feel need to pack it in for year after one:

Biggest thing like I have been saying all week.  First games are misleading.  You had months to prepare for one game and you flat get out smarted.  Happens in first games and bowl games all the time.  It is not necessarily indicative of how things will go long term.

We were one big play from a tie or win.  GB should be nearly as freaked out about their offense as we are ours.  Our defense DOMINATED them.

Our receivers were not open.  Allen Robinson and WIms are 50/50 ball players.  You are going to have to put ball into coverage with them.  Just way it is.  

Gabriel, Cohen and Miller just flat laid eggs and did Mitch no favors.  They are better players than that.  

Literally everyone is officially off MT bandwagon.  Most of us never said he is going to be a star, including me, but count me out of crowd who thinks he is a bum.  He had a bad game against a very good game plan and had no help.   He was horrible, but it doesn't mean he isn't capable of being better.

You have to learn from it and move on.

Daniels was a huge reason the offense struggled.  He let free runners go like he was a rookie.   

I maintain that this guy is an uber all-pro caliber talent, BUT he went back to school for his degree in offseason and had a position change from last year.

I don't think he is ready to play center right now.  He WILL get better.

7 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

Daniels was a huge reason the offense struggled.  He let free runners go like he was a rookie.   

I maintain that this guy is an uber all-pro caliber talent, BUT he went back to school for his degree in offseason and had a position change from last year.

I don't think he is ready to play center right now.  He WILL get better.

I actually forgot about this.  Why did they switch him and Whitehair again..was it due to the inconsistent snaps from Cody?

I can imagine that playing center vs guard there is a lot more to think about pre snap...so maybe we should expect a transition period.  Daniels was amazing as a rookie and played center in college so I expect him to be good.

I'm really trying like hell to not panic but it's difficult to being a fan of this freaking team. We're conditioned to expect the worst because it seemingly always happens.

That being said... Alex Smith's first game in year two of this offense produced a 54.25 completion percentage, 202 yards, 1 TD, 3 INTs and a 45.2 rating.

He really didn't explode in this offense until year 5 in this scheme. I know Mahomes went insane last season in year 2 of this offense, but I think that is way more of an outlier than the rule.

3 minutes ago, G08 said:

I'm really trying like hell to not panic but it's difficult to being a fan of this freaking team. We're conditioned to expect the worst because it seemingly always happens.

That being said... Alex Smith's first game in year two of this offense produced a 54.25 completion percentage, 202 yards, 1 TD, 3 INTs and a 45.2 rating.

He really didn't explode in this offense until year 5 in this scheme. I know Mahomes went insane last season in year 2 of this offense, but I think that is way more of an outlier than the rule.

I am just re-adjusting what Trubisky's ceiling is.

I am no longer going to listen to what Pace and Nagy say about him. They have proven that they cannot offer and honest assessment of him.

4 minutes ago, G08 said:

We can't wait that long for Mitch to understand this offense. We might as well go the McVay route if it's that complex to grasp.  In addition, who was Alex Smith playing in that game? 

1 minute ago, Nads786 said:

We can't wait that long for Mitch to understand this offense. We might as well go the McVay route if it's that complex to grasp.  In addition, who was Alex Smith playing in that game? 

Mitch's progress, if there has been any, is on way to slow a path to maximize what they have with this defense. We are going to see more defensive subtractions over the next couple of years.