GDT 2 post game thread - theories & rants

malagabears

While I have to tip my hat to Green Bay's D--the bulk of the Bears' offensive problems stemmed from a lack of playing time in the pre-season. Mitch hasn't looked that bad since early in his rookie season. And y'all can snipe all you want, we KNOW Whitehair, Daniels, Leno and Long aren't bad. This, all this, the totality falls on Nagy's shoulders. Because he's the genius coach who has figured out the pre-season doesn't matter, after generations of tradition. 

After early success running the ball, especially with Montgomery, it was decided that the pass happy attack must return. When down a whopping four points. This too, is all on Nagy, the super genius, better than everybody else ever has been as head coach. When you're doing well running the ball, you scrap that and mentally will your offense to win the game by throwing the ball all over the field. That's how super genius coaches work. The sheer power of their brainwaves alters reality in a real and substantial way. 

When you're a super genius head coach, you even forgo kicking a 50 yard field goal, and go for it on fourth and ten. Because, you know, the power of those super brain waves and all. 

So, long story short--I have no idea why the Bears lost that game. I mean, they have the most brilliant coach in NFL history. I don't see how ANYONE could beat the Bears with that unique brand of unapproachable genius holding the clipboard! 

Edited by Heinz D.
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, Heinz D. said:

While I have to tip my hat to Green Bay's D--the bulk of the Bears' offensive problems stemmed from a lack of playing time in the pre-season. Mitch hasn't looked that bad since early in his rookie season. And y'all can snipe all you want, we KNOW Whitehair, Daniels, Leno and Long aren't bad. This, all this, the totality falls on Nagy's shoulders. Because he's the genius coach who has figured out the pre-season doesn't matter, after generations of tradition. 

After early success running the ball, especially with Montgomery, it was decided that the pass happy attack must return. When down a whopping four points. This too, is all on Nagy, the super genius, better than everybody else ever has been as head coach. When you're doing well running the ball, you scrap that and mentally will your offense to win the game by throwing the ball all over the field. That's how super genius coaches work. The sheer power of their brainwaves alters reality in a real and substantial way. 

When you're a super genius head coach, you even forgo kicking a 50 yard field goal, and go for it on fourth and ten. Because, you know, the power of those super brain waves and all. 

So, long story short--I have no idea why the Bears lost that game. I mean, they have the most brilliant coach in NFL history. I don't see how ANYONE could beat the Bears with that unique brand of unapproachable genius holding the clipboard! 

One of the most frustrating things about this is that if we don't abandon the run we more than likely win that game. It's completely baffling that Nagy couldn't figure out by halftime that Mitch was off and that the run game was working. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Pool said:

One of the most frustrating things about this is that if we don't abandon the run we more than likely win that game. It's completely baffling that Nagy couldn't figure out by halftime that Mitch was off and that the run game was working. 

He's a super genius head coach. Those sorts of superior beings will their teams to victory by virtue of the power of their exceptional brainwaves. 

5 minutes ago, Heinz D. said:

He's a super genius head coach. Those sorts of superior beings will their teams to victory by virtue of the power of their exceptional brainwaves. 

Relax, man. They lost in worse fashion in week 1 last year and Nagy turned out ok. It was a bad game, an embarrassing one at that, but if they're 0-4 or 1-3, we'll revisit and jump to these conclusions.

However on the topic of super genius, Eddie Jackson went on 670 just now and said fans booing your team is unacceptable. Keep your mouth shut, Eddie.

8 minutes ago, beardown3231 said:

Relax, man. They lost in worse fashion in week 1 last year and Nagy turned out ok. It was a bad game, an embarrassing one at that, but if they're 0-4 or 1-3, we'll revisit and jump to these conclusions.

However on the topic of super genius, Eddie Jackson went on 670 just now and said fans booing your team is unacceptable. Keep your mouth shut, Eddie.

Eddie does need to keep the fans out of it, particularly with...just what they were booing.

But there's absolutely no reason to question my take on the power of the brain waves of our super genius head coach. :LOL.

Nagy lost that game. Period. The lack of pre-season reps may cost us another game. Or two. I'm not even saying I know for a fact that Trubisky is remarkable. But the sloppy and CLEAR lack of cohesion and proper preparation is inarguable. Except in the mind of the super genius head coach, who bravely approaches the pre-season like none before...

48 minutes ago, Heinz D. said:

Eddie does need to keep the fans out of it, particularly with...just what they were booing.

But there's absolutely no reason to question my take on the power of the brain waves of our super genius head coach. :LOL.

Nagy lost that game. Period. The lack of pre-season reps may cost us another game. Or two. I'm not even saying I know for a fact that Trubisky is remarkable. But the sloppy and CLEAR lack of cohesion and proper preparation is inarguable. Except in the mind of the super genius head coach, who bravely approaches the pre-season like none before...

So... Matt Nagy is Jimmy Neutron?

Seriously though, this is the time of year that the defensive front has an advantage over the offensive line.  As the season progresses your OL will firm up and the offense will be better.  

Both teams offensive lines were downright bad last night.

Edited by Ragnar Danneskjold
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Heinz D. said:

Preseason snaps are pointless. They really are. In hindsight it looks good to critique that mindset but the same thing didn't cost them last year. They didn't lose because of a lack of preseason; they lost because Pettine didn't, at any point, let Nagy off of his leash to piss. Green Bay went 6 DB's and Nagy didn't call enough runs (and Trubisky could've chosen run on more RPO's than he did), but as the head coach Nagy needs to tell him to do so in game.

Edited by beardown3231

35 minutes ago, beardown3231 said:

Preseason snaps are pointless. They really are. In hindsight it looks good to critique that mindset but the same thing didn't cost them last year. 

You're not serious, right?

They didn't do "the same thing" last year. 

They didn't. 

Also--guess what?--coaches have tended to treat the pre-season in a similar way for a very, very long time. Why do you suppose that is? They all were unfamiliar with the genius of Matt Nagy? 

10 minutes ago, Heinz D. said:

You're not serious, right?

They didn't do "the same thing" last year. 

They didn't. 

Also--guess what?--coaches have tended to treat the pre-season in a similar way for a very, very long time. Why do you suppose that is? They all were unfamiliar with the genius of Matt Nagy? 

What was different from this year to last in the preseason? They played what, 20 more snaps last year? And the great Adam Shaheen got hurt as a result?

You also realize a lot of teams don't play their guys anymore. Want to know how many preseason snaps Goff, Rivers, Wentz and Rodgers combined for in August? 

If you guessed zero you got it!

So yeah I guess all of those coaches weren't familiar with the genius that is Lynn, Nagy, Lafleur, Pederson or Mcvay.

They didn't stink last night because of the lack of preseason action; they stunk because Nagy decided to be stubborn and not adjust to the Packers playing 6 DB's. He didn't use Montgomery enough & he gave Cohen 0 carries. That's not a result of rust, it's a result of a horse**** gameplan.

Edited by beardown3231

4 minutes ago, beardown3231 said:

What was different from this year to last in the preseason? They played what, 20 more snaps last year? And the great Adam Shaheen got hurt as a result?

You also realize a lot of teams don't play their guys anymore. Want to know how many preseason snaps Goff, Rivers, Wentz and Rodgers combined for in August? 

If you guessed zero you got it!

So yeah I guess all of those coaches weren't familiar with the genius that is Lynn, Nagy, Lafleur, Pederson or Mcvay.

I initially stressed Trubisky's relative inexperience when I first put this notion up. Those other guys as inexperienced?

Those other coaches not play any other starters, either?

You think the answer to what we saw is Trubisky, and the entire offense, sucks? Or, rather, that Nagy made a big mistake? 

I've yet to see any of us analyze all this beyond--"we're in big trouble"! 

Just now, Heinz D. said:

I initially stressed Trubisky's relative inexperience when I first put this notion up. Those other guys as inexperienced?

Goff has

Those other coaches not play any other starters, either?

You think the answer to what we saw is Trubisky, and the entire offense, sucks? Or, rather, that Nagy made a big mistake? 

I've yet to see any of us analyze all this beyond--"we're in big trouble"! 

I said what I think happened- Nagy had a pathetic gameplan and his stubbornness cost them the game. Miller had 0 catches. Patterson had 2 touches. Cohen had 0 carries. Wims had 0 catches. They dropped back to pass 53 times. They ran the ball 11 times with actual RB's. Maybe Nagy shouldn't have given the playcalling reigns to Ragone and Helfrich in August. Maybe HE needed preseason, but while the play from the players was less than bad, Nagy was worse imo.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, beardown3231 said:

I said what I think happened- Nagy had a pathetic gameplan and his stubbornness cost them the game. Miller had 0 catches. Patterson had 2 touches. Cohen had 0 carries. Wims had 0 catches. They dropped back to pass 53 times. They ran the ball 11 times with actual RB's. Maybe Nagy shouldn't have given the playcalling reigns to Ragone and Helfrich in August. Maybe HE needed preseason, but while the play from the players was less than bad, Nagy was worse imo.

Agree with all of that. If the Bears don't show dramatic improvement over the next two games, Nagy should be fired.

Period.

Put Pagano in charge, and go from there. 

Weird O game. Some questionable decisions in hindsight;

- abandoning the ground game at points. There was one 3rd and 1 particular that was painful. Just sneak it. Sometimes you just need a first down to get a little momentum. 

-I know the kicker situation isn’t ideal, but in a 4 point game with a quarter left, kick the 50 yarder over going for it on 4th and 10. That was a very baffling move. Even with a bad kicker the odds would say that’s a 40-50% made kick vs a 25% first down.

-Generic lack of tempo. Literally outside of late there was no urgency. It is amazing how if you run quick plays you can catch defenses out of alignment 

• Like 1