Who's going to be the Dolphins starting QB in three years?

TheKillerNacho

QB?  

30 members have voted

1. 1. Who do you think will be the starting QB of the Dolphins three years from now?

• Tua Tagovailoa
    • Justin Hebert
    • Josh Rosen
    • Jake Fromm
    • Justin Fields
    • Trevor Lawrence
    • Other player drafted in the next few seasons (please specify)
    • Other veteran (please specify)
  2. 2. Who do you WANT to be starting QB of the Dolphins three years from now?

• Tua Tagovailoa
    • Justin Hebert
    • Josh Rosen
    • Jake Fromm
    • Justin Fields
    • Trevor Lawrence
    • Other player drafted in the next few seasons (please specify)
    • Other veteran (please specify)

On 9/11/2019 at 12:41 PM, FinSting said:

As a long-time Fins fan, this still boggles the mind everytime I think about it. 

I do not trust Alabama QB's under Saban, none of them are successful in the NFL. 

Q. How do you make an Alabama QB invisible?

A. Draft him

Exactly.

Fromm and Lawrence will be the most NFL ready.  

If Hurts continues on his path of improvement, he’ll be intriguing. Not #1 overall but as a possible 2nd or 3rd round flyer..

On 9/11/2019 at 2:57 PM, TheKillerNacho said:

In fairness, Tua is by far the most talented QB that Alabama has had under Saban.

While it's true that Alabama can win without a super talented QB simply because of their talent level, that doesn't mean that there's necessarily wrong with Alabama QBs.

While I'd prefer waiting for Lawrence, if we're in a position to draft Tua (and we most likely will be), I don't see how we can pass on him. There's no guarentee we'll be this awful next year.

This.  Tua is heads and shoulders better than any QB that Saban has brought in to Alabama.  He's always gone for the game-manager types, since he can recruit 2 of the best 5 RBs in the country in any given year, which run behind behemoth Olines.  

I want to revive this topic for a second, because listing to the college football programs, it has been stated more than once the Tua could return to Alabama next year. So, do the Dolphins draft Herbert, or do they trade back a couple of times, and build the rest of the team around Rosen. That is going to be the real question. I could see Saban talking Tua into another season.

On 9/11/2019 at 4:57 PM, TheKillerNacho said:

In fairness, Tua is by far the most talented QB that Alabama has had under Saban.

While it's true that Alabama can win without a super talented QB simply because of their talent level, that doesn't mean that there's necessarily wrong with Alabama QBs.

While I'd prefer waiting for Lawrence, if we're in a position to draft Tua (and we most likely will be), I don't see how we can pass on him. There's no guarentee we'll be this awful next year.

I can't argue with you and with respect your comments about the QBs at Alabama -- outside of 3 (Stabler, Starr and Namath)....who has done anything worth anything in the NFL? Sure, we can say that for many other positions and teams, but history speaks on this one. There truly hasn't been a viable QB coming out of Alabama that you can trust since 1967. Yeah, albeit Richard Todd, but do you really want to count him? LOL. :) 

I agree with you about Trevor Lawrence. I think he is a better talent, more prototypical as a player, height, speed. I really think 2020 should be about FINALLY fixing the O & D lines, trade one of the 1st rounders into 2021 for draft capital/year-over-year if possible and pick up extra 2s and 3s. 120M-ish in cap space. Man, if we were looking for the perfect storm to rebuild, we have it starting next year. The war is on for doing right with it all!!!!

So, the real question(s) are....
-- Is the owner going to stay back (so many rumors of his infatuation for Tua)? (Look what he did with that Harbaugh debacle! Hopefully a lesson learned, but doubt it....ugh!)
-- Is this year going to scare away real and respectable vets/regardless of the money? (i worry we won't get as much until vets see what we're doing in the draft, before they commit.)
-- Do we have the right people to use the cap space AND the draft picks in place? 
-- And lastly, honestly, Do we have the right coordinators? (we can blame lesser players all we want, but we've seen teams pull off crazy things with good coordinators that plan and adjust well).

Well, that's just top of mind on this topic....
-S-

1 hour ago, ericsvibe said:

I want to revive this topic for a second, because listing to the college football programs, it has been stated more than once the Tua could return to Alabama next year. So, do the Dolphins draft Herbert, or do they trade back a couple of times, and build the rest of the team around Rosen. That is going to be the real question. I could see Saban talking Tua into another season.

If Tua returns to school I think Miami trades some 2020 assets for 2021 assets to land either Tua or Lawrence in that draft rather than reaching for Hebert.

• 2 weeks later...
  1. Miami will dangle Tua to QB needy teams in 2020 draft and get enough #1 and #2 picks to go with the one's they already have by dumping a lot of players this year to build a dynasty like team when they draft Lawrence in 2021.  Teams like NE, Pitt and NO will definitely be needing a top QB soon and maybe Tua would be just the player they would like to have.  I just cannot see Miami passing on a chance at Lawrence.
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Tetsujin said:

Lawrence has not looked hot so far this season.

I can't argue much with that statement, but..... When was the last viable Alabama QB? I'll wait.... cuz you'll have to go back to the 70s, sadly... he is not a generational qb, imo.

is he Talented yes. That's not the question,  at least to me. Is he the Right fit, NO!! Lawrence will be a far better prospect.  I agree with honkeytonk..... get more draft capital and use it to keep multiple high picks year over year. I think we're should trade 1 of our 3 #1s down to 2nd/low 1st, and get another 1 in '21.... rebuild lines. Way overdue..... what I'm worried about at this time? Do we're have the right people evaluating and drafting??? Scares me that the owner is already staying here wants tua. Ugh..... good draft capital and positioning, and plenty of cap space to reset.....but again, do we have the "right" people making those decisions/evaluations

No freaking way Lawrence will be in Miami. The team is slowly, very slowly, improving. With the Redskins, Bengals and Jets looking so bad, that's a potential 4 wins this season. And then with added free-agent talent for 2020, the improved team will not be in the running for the #1 pick in 2021. 

2 hours ago, Shashiaj70 said:

I think we're should trade 1 of our 3 #1s down to 2nd/low 1st, and get another 1 in '21.... rebuild lines. 

If we get better line play in 20', we might win ourselves out of the top QB in 21'. And the team picking #1 then might never trade down.

2 hours ago, FinSting said:

No freaking way Lawrence will be in Miami. The team is slowly, very slowly, improving. With the Redskins, Bengals and Jets looking so bad, that's a potential 4 wins this season. And then with added free-agent talent for 2020, the improved team will not be in the running for the #1 pick in 2021. 

Jets and Redskins are not in the market for a new QB. Bengals are probable.... but we have the draft capital to get it done, which was my point. It really is a point  of whether we have the right people evaluating or signing players.

12 minutes ago, Shashiaj70 said:

Jets and Redskins are not in the market for a new QB. Bengals are probable.... but we have the draft capital to get it done, which was my point. It really is a point  of whether we have the right people evaluating or signing players.

We'll have to see how things pan out with the results from battling the Redskins, Bengals and Jets twice. If the Fins gradual improvements continue...who knows.