Who's going to be the Dolphins starting QB in three years?

TheKillerNacho

QB?  

30 members have voted

1. 1. Who do you think will be the starting QB of the Dolphins three years from now?

• Tua Tagovailoa
    • Justin Hebert
    • Josh Rosen
    • Jake Fromm
    • Justin Fields
    • Trevor Lawrence
    • Other player drafted in the next few seasons (please specify)
    • Other veteran (please specify)
  2. 2. Who do you WANT to be starting QB of the Dolphins three years from now?

• Tua Tagovailoa
    • Justin Hebert
    • Josh Rosen
    • Jake Fromm
    • Justin Fields
    • Trevor Lawrence
    • Other player drafted in the next few seasons (please specify)
    • Other veteran (please specify)

On 10/1/2019 at 5:49 PM, Shashiaj70 said:

When was the last viable Alabama QB? I'll wait.... cuz you'll have to go back to the 70s, sadly...

I don't like this argument, when was the last time north dakota state produce a good qb before Wentz? So you don't draft Wentz? When was the last time texas tech produce a good qb before Mahomes? So you don't draft Mahomes? I don't know if Tua will be this good but you can't base your argument on the fact that Alabama haven't  produced goob QB's.

• Like 1

Yeah, I was grandstanding a bit. :P wasn't trying to be offensive. 

But I guess I'm just not in support of drafting him.....not because we don't need one, but because we can't protect them. 

The more I think about it, the more I'd rather steal both Thomas/LT and Wirfs/RT (respectively). Grab Tyler B/C. So, that puts in LG Dieter along with them. Just have to find a valid RG.... 

Edited by Shashiaj70

I agree with you, we need to build the trenches. But it has been about 20 years without a QB. We need to draft one or sign one every year until we found one.Jordan Love is a name we need to keep an eye on I think. Miami send scouts to watch him last year when he was not even available to declare. This year, he kind of regressed, but in his defense he lost almost all of his weapons. The game saturday against LSU will be a huge test for him.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Wolverines said:

I don't like this argument, when was the last time north dakota state produce a good qb before Wentz? So you don't draft Wentz? When was the last time texas tech produce a good qb before Mahomes? So you don't draft Mahomes? I don't know if Tua will be this good but you can't base your argument on the fact that Alabama haven't  produced goob QB's.

It's patterns. Why is Alabama always a great team without great QB's?

Another pattern: why were college scouts so stupid they didn't line up to offer Wentz and Mahomes full-ride scholarships to big-time college programs?  It's as if talent evaluation is a guessing game or something, at both the college and pro levels. ;) 

4 minutes ago, FinSting said:

It's patterns. Why is Alabama always a great team without great QB's?

Another pattern: why were college scouts so stupid they didn't line up to offer Wentz and Mahomes full-ride scholarships to big-time college programs?  It's as if talent evaluation is a guessing game or something, at both the college and pro levels. ;) 

But there's always the exception that confirms the rule. You can't ignore the exception because of the rule. 

On 10/1/2019 at 5:49 PM, Shashiaj70 said:

I can't argue much with that statement, but..... When was the last viable Alabama QB? I'll wait.... cuz you'll have to go back to the 70s, sadly... he is not a generational qb, imo.

is he Talented yes. That's not the question,  at least to me. Is he the Right fit, NO!! Lawrence will be a far better prospect.  I agree with honkeytonk..... get more draft capital and use it to keep multiple high picks year over year. I think we're should trade 1 of our 3 #1s down to 2nd/low 1st, and get another 1 in '21.... rebuild lines. Way overdue..... what I'm worried about at this time? Do we're have the right people evaluating and drafting??? Scares me that the owner is already staying here wants tua. Ugh..... good draft capital and positioning, and plenty of cap space to reset.....but again, do we have the "right" people making those decisions/evaluations

Honestly I don't get this argument.

Alabama hasn't produced a franchise QB in the NFL mostly because they don't recruit top tier QB prospects usually. Tua is the most talented QB they've acquired since the 70s by a large margin.

Moreover, franchise QBs in the NFL tend to be from a vast majority of schools, it's mostly a crap shoot.... Not sure there are "good QB" schools and "bad QB" schools (except USC) like other positions.

As I showed earlier, Alabama QBs have largely lived up to their draft status in the NFL. Tua will be a first-round pick, perhaps he'll live up to it, too.

On 9/6/2019 at 5:10 PM, Dolphinmeister said:

I really hope Josh Rosen plays like a franchise QB when he gets his chance so Miami will not have to chance wasting picks on another hopeful franchise QB next year. 

I think it's clear that the entire Dolphins strategy is keyed on them taking Tua...but, wow, can you imagine what happens if Rosen pans out?

I mean, holy flirking schnit!  The Dolphins are in a prime spot to QUICKLY become a contender. And, as Rosen has been a good soldier, I'm hoping this is how things pan out for all involved. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/5/2019 at 12:13 PM, TheKillerNacho said:

Honestly I don't get this argument.

Alabama hasn't produced a franchise QB in the NFL mostly because they don't recruit top tier QB prospects usually. Tua is the most talented QB they've acquired since the 70s by a large margin.

Moreover, franchise QBs in the NFL tend to be from a vast majority of schools, it's mostly a crap shoot.... Not sure there are "good QB" schools and "bad QB" schools (except USC) like other positions.

As I showed earlier, Alabama QBs have largely lived up to their draft status in the NFL. Tua will be a first-round pick, perhaps he'll live up to it, too.

Ok, let's try it a different way....  As I said, I was grandstanding about the Alabama QBless grinder because I have a different opinion about it all.
And yeah, i am NOT on the Tua bandwagon. Not even a little. So, with that....I think drafting Tua is an EXTREMELY BAD IDEA!! REGARDLESS of the argument. Several reasons, but let's just discuss this one -- We have been devoid of an offensive line for an eternity. To me, I would focus my energy on OL in the first round. Looks sort of like this (is it perfect? no, but it could be if the stars aligned, buuuut they won't)....

First round selections, in order of selection (however drunk I could possibly have been when I thought about this) - Andrew Thomas/LT (1st - top 3 pick), Tristan Wirfs/RT (2nd - top 10 pick), Tyler Biadasz/C(hopefully available w/3rd - middle to lower first. If not Darryl Williams is a possible option in the 2nd)... Pairing them with Dieter/LG and Davis/RG. We could potentially have a pretty good line for darn near ANY qb & rb to stand behind for a long time. Use the draft capital of next year to package up/as or if necessary and get someone like Lawrence next year. But, that is dreaming and stars aligning. Some would argue or say defense, well, we need to use some of our cap money, use it there. Rebuilding takes time, but at some point we need to be able to keep our offense on the field to give the defense a rest. And we also have several 2nd round and 3rd round picks this year and next. 

I agree Alabama never goes after top tier QBs. It's just a gut feeling he'll bust horribly in MIA. Why? well, this is why I posted that in the previous paragraph. Let Cincinnati have him. That's where I think he will land, if we pass on him/hoping we do.  Seems like a Zac Taylor match, actually.... Is all of this a better argument? :) Lord, I hope so! LOL.... :) 

Edited by Shashiaj70
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Shashiaj70 said:

Ok, let's try it a different way....  As I said, I was grandstanding about the Alabama QBless grinder because I have a different opinion about it all.
And yeah, i am NOT on the Tua bandwagon. Not even a little. So, with that....I think drafting Tua is an EXTREMELY BAD IDEA!! REGARDLESS of the argument. Several reasons, but let's just discuss this one -- We have been devoid of an offensive line for an eternity. To me, I would focus my energy on OL in the first round. Looks sort of like this (is it perfect? no, but it could be if the stars aligned, buuuut they won't)....

First round selections, in order of selection (however drunk I could possibly have been when I thought about this) - Andrew Thomas/LT (1st - top 3 pick), Tristan Wirfs/RT (2nd - top 10 pick), Tyler Biadasz/C(hopefully available w/3rd - middle to lower first. If not Darryl Williams is a possible option in the 2nd)... Pairing them with Dieter/LG and Davis/RG. We could potentially have a pretty good line for darn near ANY qb & rb to stand behind for a long time. Use the draft capital of next year to package up/as or if necessary and get someone like Lawrence next year. But, that is dreaming and stars aligning. Some would argue or say defense, well, we need to use some of our cap money, use it there. Rebuilding takes time, but at some point we need to be able to keep our offense on the field to give the defense a rest. And we also have several 2nd round and 3rd round picks this year and next. 

I agree Alabama never goes after top tier QBs. It's just a gut feeling he'll bust horribly in MIA. Why? well, this is why I posted that in the previous paragraph. Let Cincinnati have him. That's where I think he will land, if we pass on him/hoping we do.  Seems like a Zac Taylor match, actually.... Is all of this a better argument? :) Lord, I hope so! LOL.... :) 

I disagree but I respect your opinion.

To be fair, I would rather have Lawrence than Tua but I'd rather take Tua if we are in a position to take him than risk missing out on both.

If the Dolphins were smart, they would trade back from their pick in the 2020 draft and secure some more picks and upgrade their OL / WR / RB (Strength of the 2020 class) BEFORE throwing another rookie QB into that mess of an offense and aim for their QB in 2021. Jmo.

• Like 1