Who's going to be the Dolphins starting QB in three years?

TheKillerNacho

QB?  

30 members have voted

1. 1. Who do you think will be the starting QB of the Dolphins three years from now?

• Tua Tagovailoa
    • Justin Hebert
    • Josh Rosen
    • Jake Fromm
    • Justin Fields
    • Trevor Lawrence
    • Other player drafted in the next few seasons (please specify)
    • Other veteran (please specify)
  2. 2. Who do you WANT to be starting QB of the Dolphins three years from now?

• Tua Tagovailoa
    • Justin Hebert
    • Josh Rosen
    • Jake Fromm
    • Justin Fields
    • Trevor Lawrence
    • Other player drafted in the next few seasons (please specify)
    • Other veteran (please specify)

On 10/14/2019 at 1:30 PM, Shashiaj70 said:

And yeah, i am NOT on the Tua bandwagon. Not even a little. So, with that....I think drafting Tua is an EXTREMELY BAD IDEA!! REGARDLESS of the argument. S

Tua vs LSU on Nov 9, and Tua vs Auburn on Nov 30. Dominate those two games, I'm convinced. Stink it up, I'm confused. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Nick_gb said:

If the Dolphins were smart, they would trade back from their pick in the 2020 draft and secure some more picks and upgrade their OL / WR / RB (Strength of the 2020 class) BEFORE throwing another rookie QB into that mess of an offense and aim for their QB in 2021. Jmo.

Id agree, but we already have a ton of picks. You realize that, right?

Teams most likely looking for a QB this off season as of 10-19-19

Dolphins..….0 - 5

Bengals.…….0 - 6...……...Not a total need but if the chance is there they would draft a QB

Skins...……… 1 - 5...……..a Cardinals type deal if they can get Tua and trade Haskins

Broncos.….. 2 - 5...………. Flacco is not the answer

Titans....…… 2 - 4...……. ….Mariota is done

Bucs....….…..2 - 4...….…….Winston is done

1 hour ago, TheKillerNacho said:

Id agree, but we already have a ton of picks. You realize that, right?

Very well aware of that. You're a smart poster -- you should know there's no such thing as too much draft capital especially for a team in complete rebuild.  Draft picks arent a guarantee, they're a chance. In a poor analogy attempt I have never sat down to play Buffalo Gold (Slot machine) and won free games and not hoped for a retrigger because I was content with the chances I currently had. 

1 hour ago, Nick_gb said:

Very well aware of that. You're a smart poster -- you should know there's no such thing as too much draft capital especially for a team in complete rebuild.  Draft picks arent a guarantee, they're a chance. In a poor analogy attempt I have never sat down to play Buffalo Gold (Slot machine) and won free games and not hoped for a retrigger because I was content with the chances I currently had. 

I disagree - there definitely is diminishing returns with draft picks in the same season.  They all require roster spots, and all have to be extended at the same time if they hit. Im not sure it's a good idea to bring in more than 15 or so rookies each season. 

2 hours ago, TheKillerNacho said:

I disagree - there definitely is diminishing returns with draft picks in the same season.  They all require roster spots, and all have to be extended at the same time if they hit. Im not sure it's a good idea to bring in more than 15 or so rookies each season. 

Well, you're assuming you hit on all of your picks which we both know won't happen. We're also assuming that a trade back means you sit still on your current picks and don't use the abundance of picks to maneuver up in the draft just as you maneuvered back from the #1 overall pick. I don't know that owning the #1 pick and picking a Quarterback in the current state of your team is the smart call. Take advantage of the teams with bad records that are a QB away and want to get THEIR guy as opposed to forcing the pick simply because you already have "too many picks" -- which I truly don't believe is really a thing, but hey! That's the beauty of the NFL there are multiple different avenues that'll lead you to success. So nothing wrong with having different opinions on this matter.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TheKillerNacho said:

4 year rookie contract with 5th year option is cert very standard these days....gives you flexibility to sign a few year 4 and others year 5. Just a thought, bud.  But yes, I thought about this issue too until i remembered 5th year option clauses. :) -S-

46 minutes ago, Shashiaj70 said:

4 year rookie contract with 5th year option is cert very standard these days....gives you flexibility to sign a few year 4 and others year 5. Just a thought, bud.  But yes, I thought about this issue too until i remembered 5th year option clauses. :) -S-

5th year option is only available for 1st round picks. And even then, the trend seems to be that 1st rounder who are worth a damn will get extended before the 5th year.

1 hour ago, Nick_gb said:

Well, you're assuming you hit on all of your picks which we both know won't happen. We're also assuming that a trade back means you sit still on your current picks and don't use the abundance of picks to maneuver up in the draft just as you maneuvered back from the #1 overall pick. I don't know that owning the #1 pick and picking a Quarterback in the current state of your team is the smart call. Take advantage of the teams with bad records that are a QB away and want to get THEIR guy as opposed to forcing the pick simply because you already have "too many picks" -- which I truly don't believe is really a thing, but hey! That's the beauty of the NFL there are multiple different avenues that'll lead you to success. So nothing wrong with having different opinions on this matter.

Hard nope. With QBs, you want the con concensus #1 guy in a draft or it's better off not even bothering. I did the legwork on it, and the drop off is staggering.

I'd definitely agree with you if we were sitting with just the 1st pick. But we're not. We already have a slew of picks to build around a QB. This isn't the usual situation of a team picking 1st overall, where picking up a lot of picks for it is a fantastic play. The Dolphins very well may not be in this position again for some time - it would be foolish to not pull the trigger on Tua if they feel he's a franchise QB. We have capitol to build around him in 2020 and 2021.

I also don't think it's forcing the pick at all. Forcing the pick on a QB is usually done on the 2nd or 3rd guy in the draft.