2020/2021 - The 55: Roster Talk & Team-Building Analysis

Mind Character

46 minutes ago, sdrawkcab321 said:

Another speedster who can’t catch isn’t going to help us. Callaway made a mistake but it’s his first game back. Id cut him some slack. 

He made a couple and didn't seem to know how to get in position for any play, but I agree.

Odd that you and I, of all posters, are more neutral/balanced in how we see it than the negative ones.

2 hours ago, sdrawkcab321 said:

Another speedster who can’t catch isn’t going to help us. Callaway made a mistake but it’s his first game back. Id cut him some slack. 

1 hour ago, bruceb said:

He made a couple and didn't seem to know how to get in position for any play, but I agree.

Odd that you and I, of all posters, are more neutral/balanced in how we see it than the negative ones.

Add me to the list.

The issue imo with Calloway is he was asked to do more than a guy fresh off suspension should have been.

That said, the pass he dropped that led to the red zone pick was inexcusable.

However, if he can get it together and we can get Higgins back, this offense will be much tougher to stop.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, sdrawkcab321 said:

I could probably cut him the slack if his only transgression was the drop. But not knowing where to line up after four weeks off??? Why wasn't he digesting  nothing but playbook the last 4 weeks? His lack of concentration or effort singlehandedly sabotaged the efforts of the other 52.

Like AW said - way too many similarities to CC.

Since the Browns aren't likely to trade or cut him - he better produce against the Hawks - BIG TIME.

Edited by brooks1957

1 hour ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

tenor.gif?itemid=8714598 

Dungey was making the transition to TE when with the Giants, he’s a decent athlete, at Syracuse he was our Alpha dog gamer, when a play needed to be made he made it. His future isn’t at QB, if he doesn’t make it in the NFL nobody will ever be able to say it was due to lack of effort

• Like 2

Off-Season Priorities:

1.) LT

2.) RT

3.) Boundary/Speed/High Impact WR2 (We have to replace Callaway with a dependable impact player). This unlocks our offense imo.

4.) RG (Maybe it can be Teller but Kush who's played better in parts is not the long-term solution)

5.) Hybrid Dynamic SS (Morgan Burnett and Jermaine Whitehead aren't it despite splash plays here and there; Redwine could be). This unlocks our defense imo.

6.) CB1/CB2 full time replacements (I don't know if we'll ever be able to trust that Denzel Ward or Greedy to avoid injury for long stretches of the season).

7.) DE (Should be Genard Avery in situations but staff doesn't believe in him I guess; Olivier Vernon looks washed and like has no real juice left).

8.) Blocking-Receiving TE (RSJ looks good but he can't block; Njoku is our true 1 but we need another; Harris/Brown aren't it)

9.) DT (Sheldon Richardson is solid but not a major impact disruptive force). Devaroe and Ekuale provide good depth.

I’m curious to see if we even pick up David Njoku’s fifth year option this off-season. I would like to see him stay around long term, but at this point it’s hard to see them shelling out big money to keep him around with the contracts that will be coming up in the next couple of years. My best guess is that they will pick it up and see how he does for another year or two before deciding whether to invest long-term.

I don’t even think we keep Olivier Vernon around. I think they cut him loose and save money hoping to find someone cheaper and just as good in free agency or the draft. He has no value at this point by that we couldn’t find out there. And he was supposed to thrive with Myles Garrett on the other side.

Our S have vastly underperformed this year. It’s pretty sad and I’m still mad Peppers is gone. 

Tackle is still a need but Baker has more than enough time to throw. 

Richardson has underperformed.

Our interior OL has been very good. 

2020 needs list:

1. S - Xavier McKinney

2. DT 

3. OT - Wirfs

4. TE - Pinkney 

Those are my favorite prospects at the position. 

7 hours ago, pnies20 said:

Our S have vastly underperformed this year. It’s pretty sad and I’m still mad Peppers is gone. 

Tackle is still a need but Baker has more than enough time to throw. 

Richardson has underperformed.

Our interior OL has been very good. 

2020 needs list:

1. S - Xavier McKinney

2. DT 

3. OT - Wirfs

4. TE - Pinkney 

Those are my favorite prospects at the position. 

I wouldn't say Richardson has underperformed. He hasn't been great but he's played about how I expected him to.

Yesterday Baker had time but that's definitely not the case in every game this season. Our OTs are still trash. They can survive against teams that don't have much of a pass rush (NYJ, Baltimore, Seattle) but get destroyed by any team with any sort of decent pass rush. At this point I expect both of our OTs will be replaced next year. I think Hubbard will be cut and I could see Robinson being offered a backup gig with us, but nothing more than that. Looking at 2020 free agent OTs, Darryl Williams and Bryan Bulaga are the only ones that seem like a decent possibility. Dorsey, the FO and Campen have a connection to Bulaga from their GB days, but he's getting older. I could also see us giving Brandon Scherff a look if we decide to move on from Kush, who I think has been serviceable for the most part.

If we sign one of Bulaga or Williams to man the RT spot and draft a LT in round one, our OL will look a lot better on paper heading into next season.