Jump to content
Mind Character

2019/2020 - The 53: Roster Talk

Recommended Posts

The 53 Roster -- Updated (9/7/19):

https://www.clevelandbrowns.com/team/players-roster/

Offense (25):

Quarterbacks (3):

QB: Baker Mayfield // Drew Stanton // Garrett Gilbert

Practice Squad: N/A

------------

Running Backs (3):

RB: Nick Chubb // Dontrell Hilliard // D'Ernest Johnson

Practice Squad: Elijah McGuire

Suspended: Kareem Hunt

------------

Fullback (0):

FB: N/A; // (Ricky Seals-Jones)

Practice Squad: N/A

------------

Wide Receivers (6):

WR1: Odell Beckham Jr. // Rashard Higgins // KhaDarel Hodge

WR2: Jarvis Landry // / Damion Ratley // Taywon Taylor 

Slot-WR: (Jarvis Landry) // (Taywon Taylor)

Practice Squad: Derrick Willies; Shelton Gibson

Suspended: Antonio Callaway

-----------

Tight Ends (4):

TE: David Njoku // Demetrius Harris // Ricky Seals-Jones // Pharaoh Brown

Practice Squad: Stephen Carlson

 ------------

Offensive Linemen (9):

LT: Greg Robinson // Kendall Lamm

LG: Joel Bitonio // Justin McCray // (Drew Forbes)

C:  JC Tretter // Austin Corbett

RG: Eric Kush // Wyatt Taylor

RT: Chris Hubbard // (Drew Forbes)

Practice Squad: Willie Wright OC; Paul Adams OT

-------------------------

Defense (25):

Defensive linemen (9):

DE: Myles Garrett // Chad Thomas 

NT: Larry Ogunjobi // Devaroe Lawrence  

DT: Sheldon Richardson // Daniel Ekuale

DE: Olivier Vernon // Chris Smith // Genard Avery 

Practice Squad: Brandin Bryant

------------

Linebackers (6):

SLB: (Sione Takitaki) // Mack Wilson // (Genard Avery)

MLB: Joe Schobert // (Mack Wilson) // Malik Jefferson

WLB: Christian Kirksey // Adarius Taylor 

Practice Squad:  Willie Harvey WLB

------------

Corner Backs (5):

CB: Denzel Ward // (Terrance Mitchell) // (Damarious Randall) 

CB: Terrance Mitchell // Greedy Wiilliams // (T.J. Carrie) // Tavierre Thomas

NCB: T.J. Carrie // (Eric Murray)

Big-Nickel: (Jermaine Whitehead) // (Eric Murray) // (Sheldrick Redwine) 

Practice Squad: Robert Jackson

------------

Safeties (5):

FS: Damarious Randall // Sheldrick Redwine // Eric Murray

SS: Morgan Burnett // Jermaine Whitehead

Practice Squad: J.T. Hassell; TIgie Sankoh

------------

Specialists (3):

Kicker (1): Austin Seibert 

Punter (1): Jamie Gillan

Long snapper (1): Charley Hughlett

--------------------------------------------------------------

-------------------------------------------------------------

Edited by Mind Character

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

https://overthecap.com/salary-cap/cleveland-browns/

For next season we have 45 guys on the roster plus 4 picks in the top 3 rounds if Duke plays 10 games. 

Bunch of guys we could cut or trade if we need to open up some cap, smith, kirksey, Vernon, carrie, morgan, Stanton. 

We are in great shape to add a player or two in free agency and have a strong roster for a couple of years 

 

 

Edited by Kiwibrown

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I loved the Elijah McGuire pick-up. In my mind, he'll end the season in 3-man rotation with Chubb and Hunt not Johnson or Hilliard.

My biggest areas of Concern are WR, Offensive pass catching playmaker, LT, RG, and RT.

I know a lot of people love Jarvis and OBJ ( I do too), but unless we can develop a zone or man threatening WR with speed it's going to be a cloudy passing picture for Baker often. Here's to hoping Taywan Taylor, Damion Ratley, and or Njoku's seam running can serve the opening up space function for the offense

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Mind Character said:

I loved the Elijah McGuire pick-up. In my mind, he'll end the season in 3-man rotation with Chubb and Hunt not Johnson or Hilliard.

My biggest areas of Concern are WR, Offensive pass catching playmaker, LT, RG, and RT.

I know a lot of people love Jarvis and OBJ ( I do too), but unless we can develop a zone or man threatening WR with speed it's going to be a cloudy passing picture for Baker often. Here's to hoping Taywan Taylor, Damion Ratley, and or Njoku's seam running can serve the opening up space function for the offense

 

I love our receiving core, we can attack so many depths, short, with juice medium with Higgins and obj, njoku and deep with ratley and Callaway. 

Especially threatening with bakers A+ accuracy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Biggest concern is the LBs tackling. The key to a 4-2-4 is great tackling LBs. Once you get past the front 4 you need those LBs to be reliable you never want to count on our DBs to tackle. Because it’s usually too late by the time they get there. Sho and Mack are questionable tacklers. Great coverage guys tho. Kirk is ok but he’s inconsistent and we haven’t seen anything out of taki. I don’t even know why Taylor is on this team. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Mind Character said:

I know a lot of people love Jarvis and OBJ ( I do too), but unless we can develop a zone or man threatening WR with speed it's going to be a cloudy passing picture for Baker often. Here's to hoping Taywan Taylor, Damion Ratley, and or Njoku's seam running can serve the opening up space function for the offense

 

I would assume that would be Njoku's bread and butter. Killing teams with the seam routes. A great route combo for a big play could be a Njoku Seam with OBJ running something underneath. Forcing the safety to decide to stick with Njoku who is over the top or step up on OBJ who is underneath. Gonna have to leave one of those guys one on one with someone.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, sdrawkcab321 said:

Biggest concern is the LBs tackling. The key to a 4-2-4 is great tackling LBs. Once you get past the front 4 you need those LBs to be reliable you never want to count on our DBs to tackle. Because it’s usually too late by the time they get there. Sho and Mack are questionable tacklers. Great coverage guys tho. Kirk is ok but he’s inconsistent and we haven’t seen anything out of taki. I don’t even know why Taylor is on this team. 

Taylor has experience in the scheme Wilks runs.

I feel like the LBs like Sho will be a lot better because they dont have nearly as many responsibilities in Wilks scheme like they had in Greggg's scheme. Its like Sho was playing LB and safety every play since we had a safety playing center field. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
 
 
 
4 hours ago, Mind Character said:

Linebackers (6):

SLB: (Sione Takitaki) // Mack Wilson // (Genard Avery)

MLB: Joe Schobert // (Mack Wilson) // Malik Jefferson

WLB: Christian Kirksey // Adarius Taylor 

Practice Squad:  Willie Harvey WLB

SLB: Adarius Taylor // Genard Avery (Really is a DE)

MLB: Joe Schobert // Sione Takitaki

WLB: Christian Kirksey // Mack Wilson // Malik Jefferson

I thought this is what the LB depth chart looks like? Taki is the back up Mike and Wilson is the back up Will. I remember hearing an interview between Wilson and Taki talking about Wilson helping give Taki tips on being a MLB 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, sdrawkcab321 said:

I don’t even know why Taylor is on this team. 

IIRC he’s supposedly a pretty good special teams player.

Boring, I know, but those guys are necessary.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, buno67 said:

I would assume that would be Njoku's bread and butter. Killing teams with the seam routes. A great route combo for a big play could be a Njoku Seam with OBJ running something underneath. Forcing the safety to decide to stick with Njoku who is over the top or step up on OBJ who is underneath. Gonna have to leave one of those guys one on one with someone.

The everyone is gonna be getting single coverage, OBJ included at times.  Baker will abuse defenses who overload OBJ and when they adjust OBJ is gonna crush souls.

It’s really gonna be nuts.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, buno67 said:

SLB: Adarius Taylor // Genard Avery (Really is a DE)

MLB: Joe Schobert // Sione Takitaki

WLB: Christian Kirksey // Mack Wilson // Malik Jefferson

I thought this is what the LB depth chart looks like? Taki is the back up Mike and Wilson is the back up Will. I remember hearing an interview between Wilson and Taki talking about Wilson helping give Taki tips on being a MLB 

This is my understanding as well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, buno67 said:

SLB: Adarius Taylor // Genard Avery (Really is a DE)

MLB: Joe Schobert // Sione Takitaki

WLB: Christian Kirksey // Mack Wilson // Malik Jefferson

I thought this is what the LB depth chart looks like? Taki is the back up Mike and Wilson is the back up Will. I remember hearing an interview between Wilson and Taki talking about Wilson helping give Taki tips on being a MLB 

 

4 hours ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

This is my understanding as well.

You're both right, but I cannot see a scenario where Adarius Taylor who in preseason looked like he was running in sand is the 3rd LB on the field when Takitaki is healthy. I was shocked at how slow he looked. He did make one good play though.

It's going to be hard to get Joe and Kirksey off the field especially since Takiaki has been injured at the end of camp and preseason. So, it is my estimation (which could be wrong) that when he does get healthy he'll likely mostly get reps at SAM given that Adarius Taylor is JAG imo.

Genard Avery in parantheses meant he was already listed elsewhere on the depth chart, but this is a secondary position.

Will be interesting to see how it shakes out when it is all said and done. Could be that Mack Wilson gets the SAM reps and keeps Takitaki off the field, or maybe somehowe Schobert is replaced.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Mind Character said:

 

You're both right, but I cannot see a scenario where Adarius Taylor who in preseason looked like he was running in sand is the 3rd LB on the field when Takitaki is healthy. I was shocked at how slow he looked. He did make one good play though.

It's going to be hard to get Joe and Kirksey off the field especially since Takiaki has been injured at the end of camp and preseason. So, it is my estimation (which could be wrong) that when he does get healthy he'll likely mostly get reps at SAM given that Adarius Taylor is JAG imo.

Genard Avery in parantheses meant he was already listed elsewhere on the depth chart, but this is a secondary position.

Will be interesting to see how it shakes out when it is all said and done. Could be that Mack Wilson gets the SAM reps and keeps Takitaki off the field, or maybe somehowe Schobert is replaced.

Is Taki healthy? heard he has been dealing with a Hammy? Also does the 3rd LB matter when its known they are running with 2 LBs a majority of the time.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, buno67 said:

Is Taki healthy? heard he has been dealing with a Hammy? Also does the 3rd LB matter when its known they are running with 2 LBs a majority of the time.

 

No, Taki has been limited on on injured reports and Wilks and co have talked as if it might take until week 5 before we see him fully integrated and ready to go.

Yeah.. "3rd LB" is a  phrase/depth chart placeholder for discussing WHICH LB is the 3rd starter be it via rotation off the bench in 2 LB sets or indeed playing as the 3rd LB in a LB set.

My point being that "When there are 3 LBs on the field (and if Takitaki is healthy) I cannot see Adarius Taylor being that 3rd LB. Therefore, I placed Taki in parentheses specifiying that he is injured now but at some point in my mind will be the 3rd LB up when healhty ... whether that be as a Schobert or Kirksey replacement or as the SAM despite getting MLB reps b/c Joe and Kirko will be in a flow at their respective positions by the time Taki is really cleared to go most likely.

The one wildcad in this scenario is Mack Wilson. As Taki is injured, it may be Mack Wilson who gets the reps as the SAM keeping Taki off the field in primary role even when he returns to full health.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, Mind Character said:

No, Taki has been limited on on injured reports and Wilks and co have talked as if it might take until week 5 before we see him fully integrated and ready to go.

Yeah.. "3rd LB" is a  phrase/depth chart placeholder for discussing WHICH LB is the 3rd starter be it via rotation off the bench in 2 LB sets or indeed playing as the 3rd LB in a LB set.

My point being that "When there are 3 LBs on the field (and if Takitaki is healthy) I cannot see Adarius Taylor being that 3rd LB. Therefore, I placed Taki in parentheses specifiying that he is injured now but at some point in my mind will be the 3rd LB up when healhty ... whether that be as a Schobert or Kirksey replacement or as the SAM despite getting MLB reps b/c Joe and Kirko will be in a flow at their respective positions by the time Taki is really cleared to go most likely.

The one wildcad in this scenario is Mack Wilson. As Taki is injured, it may be Mack Wilson who gets the reps as the SAM keeping Taki off the field in primary role even when he returns to full health.

I cant see mack wilson playing sam though, he prefers spaceto contact. I think they would put kirko in at sam and mack at will. 

Also I think I'd a rather mack than murray on the feild, I'd go back to  a base 4-3 over big nickel.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×