Jump to content
Mind Character

2020/2021 - The 53: Roster Talk & Off-Season Priorities

Recommended Posts

4 minutes ago, DawgX said:

I wouldn't say Richardson has underperformed. He hasn't been great but he's played about how I expected him to.

Yesterday Baker had time but that's definitely not the case in every game this season. Our OTs are still trash. They can survive against teams that don't have much of a pass rush (NYJ, Baltimore, Seattle) but get destroyed by any team with any sort of decent pass rush. At this point I expect both of our OTs will be replaced next year. I think Hubbard will be cut and I could see Robinson being offered a backup gig with us, but nothing more than that. Looking at 2020 free agent OTs, Darryl Williams and Bryan Bulaga are the only ones that seem like a decent possibility. Dorsey, the FO and Campen have a connection to Bulaga from their GB days, but he's getting older. I could also see us giving Brandon Scherff a look if we decide to move on from Kush, who I think has been serviceable for the most part.

If we sign one of Bulaga or Williams to man the RT spot and draft a LT in round one, our OL will look a lot better on paper heading into next season.

Over the course of the season so far, Baker has (I saw the stat and can’t remember exact numbers) around top 5 time to throw the ball in the NFL. It’s Baker and the WR, scheme, etc. A lot of the times they’ve done stupid crap like put Harris on Bosa by himself. People see that sack and automatically think it’s the tackle. I’m definitely not saying we shouldn’t draft a tackle but the OL isn’t as bad as it looks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, pnies20 said:

Over the course of the season so far, Baker has (I saw the stat and can’t remember exact numbers) around top 5 time to throw the ball in the NFL. It’s Baker and the WR, scheme, etc. A lot of the times they’ve done stupid crap like put Harris on Bosa by himself. People see that sack and automatically think it’s the tackle. I’m definitely not saying we shouldn’t draft a tackle but the OL isn’t as bad as it looks.

Oh I place a ton of the blame for that SF loss on Freddie. There's no excuse to have a TE blocking Bosa. Hell, it was dumb to let Robinson block him one-on-one. But I gotta disagree with our OL not being pretty damn bad. Like I said in another thread, I don't think the OL is at the very bottom echelon of the league, but they're damn close and certainly well below average. But it's not all on them, I agree. Baker and the coaching staff have gotta do a better job.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, sdrawkcab321 said:

ahhh

 

 

Man if I knew he was healthy 

BIG IFs

IF I knew he was healthy 

and IF I knew Robinson could move to RT and Hubbard to RG

and IF I KNEW He had at least 3 more years left I'd trade a first rounder for him 

They gotta try to find those out best they can, and if not I'm drafting my lineman first round this year 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, sdrawkcab321 said:

 

Dorsey better not get too trigger happy here and give up too much for a 31 year old, high salary, injury prone OT. A mid round pick and replacement player/average NFL starter would be plenty of compensation. A 2nd is semi-understandable, albeit I'd be grumpy, but more than that, and I'll be upset. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎10‎/‎14‎/‎2019 at 10:35 AM, Mind Character said:

7.) DE (Should be Genard Avery in situations but staff doesn't believe in him I guess; Olivier Vernon looks washed and like has no real juice left).

8.) Blocking-Receiving TE (RSJ looks good but he can't block; Njoku is our true 1 but we need another; Harris/Brown aren't it)

9.) DT (Sheldon Richardson is solid but not a major impact disruptive force). Devaroe and Ekuale provide good depth.

-I been saying for a while we need way more depth at DE, look at the Panthers, they are LOADED at edge, it seems like were content with have a 3 man rotation

-Boy, letting Fells go hurt us tremendously, I have a feeling Dorsey is going to like the TE from Notre Dame

-I absolutely love Greedy and wouldn't replace him but I was head over heels for Jefffery Simmons and still upset we didn't get him. Lawrence is hungry and needs to play more

58 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

Dorsey better not get too trigger happy here and give up too much for a 31 year old, high salary, injury prone OT. A mid round pick and replacement player/average NFL starter would be plenty of compensation. A 2nd is semi-understandable, albeit I'd be grumpy, but more than that, and I'll be upset. 

If the price is right, do it....Andrew Whitworth was 36 when he went to the Rams and has widely been a success. Trent Williams to this day is still in the 90th percentile in terms of athleticism amongst tackles in the NFL. The Texans pulled the trigger and took off, I think we need to do the same...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, MSURacerDT55 said:

If the price is right, do it....Andrew Whitworth was 36 when he went to the Rams and has widely been a success. Trent Williams to this day is still in the 90th percentile in terms of athleticism amongst tackles in the NFL. The Texans pulled the trigger and took off, I think we need to do the same...

I'm fine IF the price is right. I'm not fine if it's a 1st, personally. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Trent Williams doesn't change the awful chemistry between Baker & Beckham or improve Baker's field vision or footwork.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, BrownLeader said:

Trent Williams doesn't change the awful chemistry between Baker & Beckham or improve Baker's field vision or footwork.

Doesn't fix the right side of the line which has given up more pressures and run stuffs and sacks either.

 

Edited by Mind Character

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Mini-Mock Offseason Priorities:

1.) New proven QB coach with OC upside.

2.) Upgrade on Chris Hubbard (Could be Drew Forbes)

3.) Upgrade on Greg Robinson

4.) Upgrade on Eric Kush (Could be Drew Forbes or Wyatt Teller or Justin McCray)

5.) (Via the draft or otherwise) Acquire a Speed-threat, Reliable Catching Boundary WR2 

6.) Acquire a Hybrid Safety playmaking safety

7.) Acquire a CB1/CB2 without Injury concerns or a weak body type

8.) Acquire a Dynamic Blocking-Receiving TE

9.) Sign Marcus Mariota as the perfect Hard-working culture backup that is just good enough to win a game if necessary but not good enough to threaten Baker.

10.) Free Genard Avery and let him be the dynamic pass rushing specialist he'll be on some other team. He also played well at LB last year.

11.) Acquire an Interior run stuffer with pass rushing prowess to push Richardson and ultimately serve as the starter 

12.) Draft a young QB in later rounds to develop (Garrett Gilbert ain't it and has one of the slowest processors and is just a big arm chucker)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Mind Character said:

Doesn't fix the right side of the line which has given up more pressures and run stuffs and sacks either.

 

It does allow for us to focus RB’s and TE’s on the R side and provide help there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×