2020/2021 - The 55: Roster Talk & Team-Building Analysis

Mind Character

5 hours ago, ditchdigger said:

Sacks are not the only way to measure a player's worth.

Also, TJ Carrie got $8M on the open market. Oliver Vernon would get at least $12M, no doubt about it. 

I find Vernon incredibly overrated. He is a slightly above average player, but I dont view him at all as a difference maker that cant be upgraded. Dude hasnt played a full season since 2016 so giving him anything but a incentive based contract with low guaranteed money is dumb

3 hours ago, DizzyDean said:

Ain’t my money!  If it brings a championship I pay the long snapper $17 million a year!

That would be fine if there wasn't such a thing as a salary cap. Every dollar we overpay a player is going to take away from another area of the team.

This is only going to make draft picks more valuable. I'm pretty much team trade down if Wills is gone at 10.

7 hours ago, ditchdigger said:

Y'all got to be outcho minds talmbout spending $17M on a Right Tackle.

In October when baker isn’t running for his life every snap and is able to set his feet and throw no one will care how much we paid the guy that helped that happen. besides we wouldn’t pay him 17M a year that’s not how nfl contracts work. You move bonus money and give him a lot upfront and he’s only accounting for 8-10M in cap. 

50 minutes ago, sdrawkcab321 said:

In October when baker isn’t running for his life every snap and is able to set his feet and throw no one will care how much we paid the guy that helped that happen. besides we wouldn’t pay him 17M a year that’s not how nfl contracts work. You move bonus money and give him a lot upfront and he’s only accounting for 8-10M in cap. 

If you give a lot up front the cap number will be higher next year.

A 17 million aav contract doesn’t become 8 million in real cash year one because “bonus money shuffle”.

Am I crazy for wanting to keep Kirksey? I don't know.. I'd rather just keep him one more year and then cut him when we save $9mil. I understand he's been injury plagued and he's overpaid, but we can afford to have a few overpaid players on the roster this year.. We don't have to pay Baker or Myles yet. We aren't going to be within $7mil of the cap this year...

1 minute ago, braylon said:

Am I crazy for wanting to keep Kirksey? I don't know.. I'd rather just keep him one more year and then cut him when we save $9mil. I understand he's been injury plagued and he's overpaid, but we can afford to have a few overpaid players on the roster this year.. We don't have to pay Baker or Myles yet. We aren't going to be within $7mil of the cap this year...

He's 27 years old and has proven to be a decent run stopper. We don't have many proven run stoppers on this roster.... I actually just officially convinced myself, I'm #TeamKirksey

47 minutes ago, braylon said:

He hasn’t been healthy in 2 years and he wasn’t great when he was.

As far as the cap, it’s not about being close to the cap now, it’s about not overpaying for replacement level players.  The cap money you save now is rolled over and can be applied when those monster deals are due.

Unless he restructures for significantly less, I can’t see him sticking around.