2020/2021 - The 55: Roster Talk & Team-Building Analysis

Mind Character

1 hour ago, ReggieCamp said:

I generally agree with @ditchdigger on this one.  Conklin is an avg starter (maybe a bit better), but he's gonna get HUGE money.  He'll be even more overpaid than the average FA since this FA class is pretty bad for OT's.

On the flip side, this draft class is loaded at OT.

Doesn't take Ivy League grads to figure out the best move here...

Yep double up at OT baby letsgo 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, mistakey said:

jamal lewis without the crime history and slimmer

I told akronwitness that I think we are going to copy Denver’s style and philosophy (historically speaking). People were so caught up with the Cowboys and Brett Favre in the 90’s that they forgot about the incredible teams Denver had. Especially from 1996-2000.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=7xaN5NjrW3Y

Edited by candyman93

43 minutes ago, candyman93 said:

I told akronwitness that I think we are going to copy Denver’s style and philosophy (historically speaking). People were so caught up with the Cowboys and Brett Favre in the 90’s that they forgot about the incredible teams Denver had. Especially from 1996-2000.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=7xaN5NjrW3Y

terell davis but faster

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mistakey said:

cannot wait until nick chubb beats out jim brown for best browns running back of all time

He’s a special player. One of the very few times I’ve been right predicting a guys success.

I look for special burst: Deebo Samuel and Saquon Barkley types (Cam Akers this year). Chubb was always a “he’s going to succeed unless he gets hurt” type of player to me. 

Nicks biggest obstacle is going to be the NFL philosophical shift. However, I think Stefanski is the perfect guy for him.

Edited by candyman93
  • Like 1

David Njoku is making chump change. He will stick around another year because of that. Afterwards, no idea.

Chris Hubbard and Kendall Lamm might be in the next round of cuts. Morgan Burnett is another tough one to call. With Ardarious Taylor cut, I think that increases the odds of Kirksey surviving until the end of his contract.

https://overthecap.com/salary-cap/cleveland-browns/

18 hours ago, ditchdigger said:

Signing Conklin means pick one of these three to leave in free agency in 2 years:

Myles Garrett 

Nick Chubb 

Denzel Ward

So go ahead. Sign the guy to a huge contract. Then spend the entire 5 years of that contract praying he's worth what you had to give up to get him. 

Also spend that time tracking this stacked OT class and who could have been playing for us for a tenth of what Conklin will be getting.

He better be All-Pro every year to justify that kind of contract. Would he be that good in a wide zone scheme? Nobody knows because he's never done it.

How many risks does a signing need before it's a bad idea?

While I don't necessarily disagree with you here, I still think that it's beneficial to call him, bring him in, do our due diligence on his medical, and crunch some numbers.

For instance:

2020:

Cutting Vernon would save us $15.5 million (0 dead cap hit)

Cutting Kirksey saves us $9.95 million ($2.4 dead cap hit)

Cutting Hubbard saves us $7.2 million ($2.4 dead cap hit)

Cutting Morgan Burnett saves us $4.7 million ($1.325 dead cap hit)

2021:

You take a look at Sheldon Richardson ($11.9 million with a $1.66 dead cap hit)

Bottom Line:

IMO you look to see if you sign someone like Conklin if you can get him locked up to a large up front contract for a couple years with the ability to walk away after 2021 (2 years). If you can't do that, then I agree, you want to ignore him and maybe double up on a loaded OT class. When healthy, he's a Pro Bowl/All Pro caliber OT, but the medical is a question and so is the salary that other teams may be willing to pay him with this being a weak FA class.

16 hours ago, DizzyDean said:

Better I think.  Davis was over rated to me, a pure product of the zone blocking scheme.  Look how that made the 9ers group of misfit rbs look this year.

yeah those 9ers RBs looked good but none of them looked anything like Davis tho. TD from '96 to '98 is one of the best 3 year spurt for a RB I have ever seen. Elway was good but TD was the reason they were back to back champs. He was better in the playoffs in 97 and 98

• Like 1

On 2/20/2020 at 3:46 PM, ReggieCamp said:

I generally agree with @ditchdigger on this one.  Conklin is an avg starter (maybe a bit better), but he's gonna get HUGE money.  He'll be even more overpaid than the average FA since this FA class is pretty bad for OT's.

On the flip side, this draft class is loaded at OT.

Doesn't take Ivy League grads to figure out the best move here...

Conklin played significantly better in ‘19 than the previous years of his rookie contract. That can be viewed as a pro or con, I guess.

• Like 3

21 hours ago, pnies20 said:

Conklin played significantly better in ‘19 than the previous years of his rookie contract. That can be viewed as a pro or con, I guess.

Conklin played damn good his rookie year. Had a down year the following year and then tore his ACL at the end of it. ‘18 was good but he was still rehabbing and recovering.His best season was his rookie year. I would believe he will play the rest of his career compared to the '19 season and not the '18 season. The way he played this year, you could tell he is fully recovered from that knee injury

Edited by buno67
  • Like 1