2020/2021 - The 55: Roster Talk & Team-Building Analysis

Mind Character

1 minute ago, Rod Johnson said:

Browns starting 11 on defense has me ready to drive off the 480 bridge

Yup.

Need to fix the OL, get another TE and maybe snare a mid-round WR on O but the rest of FA and the draft almost have to be focused on the D.

1 minute ago, bruceb said:

Yup.

Need to fix the OL, get another TE and maybe snare a mid-round WR on O but the rest of FA and the draft almost have to be focused on the D.

Basically just pray for Baker to put it back together or else we are going to get smoked this season.

Kind of just assuming we take one of the tackles round 1 unless Simmons falls.  So you're theoretically only shoring up like 7 of the holes on defense with FA's and round 2-7 picks.

Maybe Garrett and healthy corners makes them average for stretches but holy crap....Joe Woods about to get fired....

13 minutes ago, Rod Johnson said:

Basically just pray for Baker to put it back together or else we are going to get smoked this season.

Kind of just assuming we take one of the tackles round 1 unless Simmons falls.  So you're theoretically only shoring up like 7 of the holes on defense with FA's and round 2-7 picks.

Maybe Garrett and healthy corners makes them average for stretches but holy crap....Joe Woods about to get fired....

I could be completely wrong, but I think they want a high scoring offense and a defense that can occasionally get stops. I could see us signing Jack Conklin + drafting an OT at 10. Then drafting a speedster threat in the mid rounds.

QB- Baker

RB- Chubb / Hunt

WR- OBJ, Jarvis, Speedster, Ratley

TE- Njoku

LT- 10th pick

LG- Bitonio

C- Tretter

RG- Teller

RT- Conklin

That’s an exciting offense.

58 minutes ago, candyman93 said:

I could be completely wrong, but I think they want a high scoring offense and a defense that can occasionally get stops. I could see us signing Jack Conklin + drafting an OT at 10. Then drafting a speedster threat in the mid rounds.

QB- Baker

RB- Chubb / Hunt

WR- OBJ, Jarvis, Speedster, Ratley

TE- Njoku

LT- 10th pick

LG- Bitonio

C- Tretter

RG- Teller

RT- Conklin

That’s an exciting offense.

Looks good, but I highly doubt we're getting Conklin. We aren't outbidding the entire league by a mile, and he won't want to come here. Give me Vaitai, a tackle at 10, maybe even a guard in round 2/3, and off we go. 

9 hours ago, NudeTayne said:

Looks good, but I highly doubt we're getting Conklin. We aren't outbidding the entire league by a mile, and he won't want to come here. Give me Vaitai, a tackle at 10, maybe even a guard in round 2/3, and off we go. 

The Jets are our #1 competition. They ALWAYS spend big money in free agency. It never hurts them either.

I get the hesitation in spending big money on an off ball LBer, but ya have to field a competitive defense and Schobert is probably our second or third best defender.

As far as the money, it’s hard to hear that we can’t spend 10+ on Schobert while paying guys like Kirksey and Vernon.

It’s not all on the nerds though, you have to extend guys before they can test the market. It makes zero sense for Schobert not to test the market at this point.  Dorsey was never going to pay him it seemed and neither are the nerds.  

Unless Schobert is expecting a Mosley-type contract, then we'd be stupid not to resign him. Front load his contract and make it easy for us to cut him in a couple of years if we so desire. Just adding another need to our defense if we let him go and we'd be losing our most consistent defensive player outside of Garrett.

• Like 1

I could be completely wrong. However, I think the future of football will be like Big 12 in CFB. What New England did last year shouldn’t have happened if Dee Ford knows how to line up.

Financially it makes more sense to dedicate your resources mainly to your QB. They’re the most important and eventually most expensive player on your roster. You don’t want to do what Indy did to Andrew Luck.

Eventually, this is what I see NFL rosters becoming:

Franchise QB

2 stud WRs

A good offensive line

2 stud pass rushers

1 good CB

Or basically the Colts with Manning.

Every other position can be filled by a JAG.

Edited by candyman93

14 hours ago, Rod Johnson said:

I think we could field a better defense than some think, depending one the moves we make in the next few months..

Vernon - Ogunjobi - Richardson - Garrett 

The depth is non existent, but that's an above average starting DLine.. Sign depth guys like Carl Nassib and David Onyemata and this group isn't looking too bad.

Kirksey - Takitaki - Wilson

This group is below average at very best, pending Wilson and Takitaki taking some steps. We will likely have 5 DBs on the field pretty often though, so Kirksey and Wilson has the potential to be an okay LB duo if Kirksey can recover from injury and Wilson can improve on an up and down, but sometimes promising rookie season. This is a position that I would like to see us address in the draft early.

Ward - Mitchell - Greedy are probably locks to be our top 3 corners next year, again I feel comfortable calling that above average. Safety however is an enormous question mark and how we address it this offseason will play a huge role in the success of our defense IMO. I would like to resign Randall, sign Tre Boston and then hopefully draft someone in the first three rounds. If we manage to do that I would say we can get some decent safety play next year. 

I don't know, I don't think we need to panic yet...

DL: Vernon - Richardson - Ogunjobi - Garrett

LB: Kirksey - Wilson

CB: Ward - Greedy - Mitchell

S: Randall - Boston

Would that 11 man group really be THAT bad? I don't think so. And that's a pretty modest approach to FA and doesn't even account for draft picks. Potentially some issues defending the run? Yes. Do I hope for better? Yes. Potential to be better than "average for stretches"? Definitely yes.

23 hours ago, brownie man said:

I’d trade our second for Trent Williams and Washington’s fourth 

Brown and Trent would be a great haul 

14 hours ago, bruceb said:

He certainly has his work cut out for him.

An elite front helps any defense 

14 hours ago, Rod Johnson said:

Browns starting 11 on defense has me ready to drive off the 480 bridge

Why, the starting 11 won't look like this come season, relax

Also on Schobert, if the Non Analytics and Analytic both agree he isn't worth the money, chances are....he isn't