2020/2021 - The 55: Roster Talk & Team-Building Analysis

Mind Character

25 minutes ago, Bonanza23 said:

Based on your posts and how you reacted when we drafted him, yeah you hate him. 

#embraceYourHatred

Had him as my 11th overall prospect in the entire draft. The 11th overall prospect is not such as a result of hate.

Loved Sam Darnold exponentially more and thought he was the clear QB1.

Posted a ton about how I didn't want Mayfield due to my perception that he was trailer not a tractor player, that he was too emotionally volatile, and I didn't think he could make sustained winning plays and be accurate in the face of interior or perceived pressure. Thought he fled the pocket right too soon; thought he was more of a goldilocks QB where everything around him had to be just right; thought he loved celebrity too much and couldn't block out the noise; and cracked some under pressure.

Loved his ability to throw on the run with pinpoint accuracy; the positive upswings of his leadership ability; his ball velocity and redzone efficiency.

My posts in the lead up I'm sure went over your head.

I've been pulling for and rooting for Baker as much as anyone since we drafted him.

But I call it like it is.

Being out of shape, speaking out of turn against Duke Johnson and the players code, speaking out of turn against the medical staff, responding to stuff on twitter, blowing up and walking out in press conferences, saying one doesn't need QB trainer in the off-season and downplaying that resource, etc...

If acknowledging such things as "not good trends" or linking them back to previous negative trends while hoping it's just a phase in Baker's development is hatred then we have different definitions of hatred.

Edited by Mind Character

7 minutes ago, Mind Character said:

Had him as my 11th overall prospect in the entire draft. The 11th overall prospect is not such as a result of hate.

Loved Sam Darnold exponentially more and thought he was the clear QB1.

Posted a ton about how I didn't want Mayfield due to my perception that he was trailer not a tractor player, that he was too emotionally volatile, and I didn't think he could make sustained winning plays and be accurate in the face of interior or perceived pressure. Thought he fled the pocket right too soon; thought he was more of a goldilocks QB where everything around him had to be just right; thought he loved celebrity too much and couldn't block out the noise; and cracked some under pressure.

Loved his ability to throw on the run with pinpoint accuracy; the positive upswings of his leadership ability; his ball velocity and redzone efficiency.

My posts in the lead up I'm sure went over your head.

I've been pulling for and rooting for Baker as much as anyone since we drafted him.

But I call it like it is.

Being out of shape, speaking out of turn against Duke Johnson and the players code, speaking out of turn against the medical staff, responding to stuff on twitter, blowing up and walking out in press conferences, saying one doesn't need QB trainer in the off-season and downplaying that resource, etc...

If acknowledging such things as "not good trends" or linking them back to previous negative trends while hoping it's just a phase in Baker's development is hatred then we have different definitions of hatred.

You don’t call it like it is. You just post negativity and nothing that he’s done well this year. I’m sorry dude you’re just a hater. I don’t call people that very often. 

Props to Baker

That was a complete 180 from his sit down with Colin Cowherd. Granted Rex Ryan was exactly what I thought he’d be, throwing softballs because he wants Baker on his show. 

Nick Wright still likes Baker so it was smart to go on his show too.

Edited by candyman93
  • Like 2

28 minutes ago, Bonanza23 said:

You don’t call it like it is. You just post negativity and nothing that he’s done well this year. I’m sorry dude you’re just a hater. I don’t call people that very often. 

Mind likes to pretend he can read people's minds and know what their motivations are. How many times has he written long, repetitive diatribes where he goes on about how Baker doesn't have the desire to be great? As if he knows what motivates Baker or who he is as a person. It's truly comical.

3 minutes ago, candyman93 said:

Props to Baker

That was a complete 180 from his sit down with Colin Cowherd. Granted Rex Ryan was exactly what I thought he’d be, throwing softballs because he wants Baker on his show. 

Yeah because he played like trash this year compared to last. Easy to be humble and mature when you suck. Hopefully he acts like this when he’s good again. 

• Like 1

Just now, DawgX said:

Mind likes to pretend he can read people's minds and know what their motivations are. How many times has he written long, repetitive diatribes where he goes on about how Baker doesn't have the desire to be great? As if he knows what motivates Baker or who he is as a person. It's truly comical.

Baker wants to be great. I don’t care about his physical appearance. I’ve seen Big Bens fatass have a hall of fame career.

I just worry about him causing noise.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, sdrawkcab321 said:

Yeah because he played like trash this year compared to last. Easy to be humble and mature when you suck. Hopefully he acts like this when he’s good again. 

A lot of his problems are on him.

However, the team did him no favors (e.g. Freddie wanting to sling the rock 50 damn times a game, the offensive line being terrible, and OBJ + Jarvis being hurt). I’m just looking forward to a philosophical change. Let Nick and Kareem carry the ball. Slow the game down for Baker. Let Bakers brain develop at a slower pace.

1 hour ago, Bonanza23 said:

That's just a lie and misperception that confirms your pre-existing belief.

When everyone was ready to throw Baker in the trash all season, I was one stating that we simply just won't know what Baker truly is until year 3; been saying that when everyone was worshiping Baker year 1 with the caveat that things looked promising, but ultimately as with all young QBs until around the 38-48 game mark you just don't know.

I've posted tons of positive things about Baker and his play ranging from him gutting out the injury early season to how he owned his mistakes him pressers to tremendous throws and good play and everything in between.

Or started threads/poll threads on "Rank who you attribute blame to the most when it comes to our offense... Freddie, OLIne, WRs, Baker, etc...".... of which I attributed Freddie and other issues more so.

When respect and credit is due I'm glad to give it.

I call it how it is.

And I hope for better days with Baker.

Since we drafted him, I've been an objective supporter who calls out the negative for what it is.

Not that you'll read ... perfect example of the majority of my posts on Baker all season... worried of the negative trends; praising of the positive; questioning if he wants it like the Brees types... unsure of which way it will go in the end

On 10/13/2019 at 7:18 PM, Mind Character said:

I know Baker was a lot older than a lot of the QBs that came out in his draft as well as even some from previous draft classes, but every single week Baker stands up there and is accountable in public statements.

Every single week no matter what he takes ownership in the what needs to be improved.

He battled out there today and did not give in or lay down. 

These are all things we knew about him coming out in the draft, but it's still something positive to rally around during these football adversity times.

The next step play-wise is out there for him. He doesn't like offseason mechanics drilling and isn't obsessed with footwork and mechanics constantly going over them like Brees, Manning, and Brady. He's a solid worker but even Scot McCloughan noted before he officially joined the Browns that Baker was a good worker but relies on talent a lot like Favre but without the physical athletic gifts. Scot thought Baker unlike Favre was going to have to go all in on Film study, defensive recognition analysis, and all things Quarterbacking preparation.

McCloughan, Wolf, Dorsey, and others believe Baker will be that relentless worker and go the extra mile like Brees.

I just hope he will. I just hope that this season is the wake-up call that fuels him to take the next step. I hope that the 6 or 7 wins in the 2nd half of the season doesn't make him complacent thinking that his way is good enough.

There's another level out there for Baker. He has the talent. 

Mah.. oh man... I hope he gets there.

---------------------------

35 minutes ago, DawgX said:

Nope, I've QUESTIONED IF he has the desire to be great ("Can/Will Baker pick up elite performance routines, commit like Brees and Brady, improve study habits and collab with receivers, etc) and stated that he's going to need to trend towards the Brees' of the world.

That's different than saying "he doesn't have the desire to be great."

If you haven't observed concerning trends with Baker you're blind. When he says "I thought things would come easier" or looks out of shape or unprepared it makes sense to question IF while maintaining that nothing is solidified yet.

Unlike a lot of other posters, though I'm worried about where I see things trending I still reserve final judgment until Baker has more time.

Along the way when he does well, I've given him props, but as things have trended downward and his emotional volatility has made things negative I've pointed out those negative trends as well.

Edited by Mind Character
  • Like 1

44 minutes ago, DawgX said:

Yessir. And I think mind control thinks he’s intellectually superior to everyone. 

Btw don’t get me wrong mind, I like you as a poster. I’m pretty good at skimming thru your BS and taking the good parts of your posts. 😘

34 minutes ago, Mind Character said:

That's just a lie and misperception that confirms your pre-existing belief.

When everyone was ready to throw Baker in the trash all season, I was one stating that we simply just won't know what Baker truly is until year 3; been saying that when everyone was worshiping Baker year 1 with the caveat that things looked promising, but ultimately as with all young QBs until around the 38-48 game mark you just don't know.

I've posted tons of positive things about Baker and his play ranging from him gutting out the injury early season to how he owned his mistakes him pressers to tremendous throws and good play and everything in between.

Or started threads/poll threads on "Rank who you attribute blame to the most when it comes to our offense... Freddie, OLIne, WRs, Baker, etc...".... of which I attributed Freddie and other issues more so.

When respect and credit is due I'm glad to give it.

I call it how it is.

And I hope for better days with Baker.

Since we drafted him, I've been an objective supporter who calls out the negative for what it is.

Nope, I've QUESTIONED IF he has the desire to be great ("Can/Will Baker pick up elite performance routines, commit like Brees and Brady, improve study habits and collab with receivers, etc) and stated that he's going to need to trend towards the Brees' of the world.

That's different than saying "he doesn't have the desire to be great."

If you haven't observed concerning trends with Baker you're blind. When he says "I thought things would come easier" or looks out of shape or unprepared it makes sense to question IF while maintaining that nothing is solidified yet.

Unlike a lot of other posters, though I'm worried about where I see things trending I still reserve final judgment until Baker has more time.

Along the way when he does well, I've given him props, but as things have trended downward and his emotional volatility has made things negative I've pointed out those negative trends as well.

Sorry dude you only post about Baker when it’s negative. When there is positive you still somehow make it negative. 

51 minutes ago, candyman93 said:

Props to Baker

Nick Wright still likes Baker so it was smart to go on his show too.

Only thing I got out of that video his how fat the cat is. 

As someone who can read Baker's mind, y'all just be ready. Baker WILL be a Hall of Fame guy if he stays relatively healthy. Period. Book it. This is no hyperbole and I said it from the start, still see the signs in the tea leaves. Just watch. Seriously. Let's enjoy this. It's okay to love again, Browns fans.

Let's all call out what needs to be called out with growing pains, but don't lose sight that this is the best Browns QB of all time when all said and done--sorry not sorry, Bernie. 

Eventually it will be Baker and Mahomes dueling in AFC championships, just like in college. 

Let's not tear one another apart past the lulz. Let's not lose sight. 

And Bonanza, I don't think Mind is a hater (I do think there are some actual Baker haters in here, but they're haters in general so...🤷‍♂️), but conversely, ($0.02) Mind it's okay to have a little more faith and not nitpick as much IMO.

I think that it's what irks some of these dudes who come at you a bit, the feel of seemingly having to nitpick stuff that may or may not be important as being possibly career-threatening important (kinda like you're trying to stir up a discordant narrative more than just saying, "Yeah, that singular instance was dumb"), like being a little out of shape one off-season, doing commercials in the off-season (this is just a poor take, to anyone still making it as a serious criticism and not just a playful troll) and being outspoken.

It reads to me not as hater'y as Bonanza sees it but still a bit more than just criticizing what deserves criticism. It reads a bit mountain-out-of-mole-hill/"not sure if the sky is falling, guys, but it might be". This is our guy and it's okay to give our guy a little benefit of the doubt.

I agree that he has made some missteps with calling folks out publicly, though I don't necessarily think he was way off base, more going through his lumps and learning from this. It's clear he cares, wants to win, has great character, is really not a me guy, has the drive to be great, and I feel lucky we got him. Honestly I'll be surprised if Sam is anything close to Baker in five years, but we'll see. They both may be great.

When it comes down to it with, say, the Duke stuff, he wasn't being a punk but more doing his best to be a leader, a general attempting to crack the whip of order on a team that lacked leadership and structure from coaching. It takes guts to call a guy out one is going to see every day. But I agree, it was a mistake the way he went about it, and I do believe he learned from it.

Baker is not every other QB before him, so if we compare him to the canned response guys, he might seem like he needs to pull it back. I don't think so. He isn't an Instagram star. The guy is a bold personality and doesn't run from accountability. He honestly speaks very mature for his age IMO. I was impressed with him before the draft and still am. The guy is comfortable in his own shoes. Not many are, even NFL QB's. He knows he needs to pull it back with media hacks and I expect him to (a bit).

I was feeling optimistic about this interview--about to watch it--and I believe him walking into the fire like this yet again speaks to his character. Baker ain't scared, and that will serve him throughout his career.

tl;dr we got this. It's okay to buy in this time, truly. I'm putting my name on it.

EDIT: 🤔... @Bonanza23 is right. 🤷‍♂️... he's a hater.

Edited by NudeTayne
  • Like 2